Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

THE PHANTOM

Lee Falk's comic hero comes to life. Actually, it never really comes to life... there's something not quite there in nearly every aspect of it. The stunts and set pieces with truck, horse, plane and motorcycle are nearly good but not quite. Treat Williams gag a minute villain is nearly funny and evil but doesn't quite manage it. Billy Zane is nearly dashing and two fisted/gunned but just falls short. The music just doesn't make it either. The story is refreshingly straight forward even if it is a quest for the "something of thingummy". And some of the dialogue even attempts to be of its time.

But you always get the sense that you have seen it all before but better.

Plus marks for lots of great period cars and extras in a presumably pre-cgi New York.

Minus marks for Catherine Zeta Jones being terrible beyond belief.

Oh and isn't the end "duel" the same as Space balls?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Jurassic World.

The script for this film was clearly cut and paste from many other, more successful films. Both Chris Pratt and Bryce Howard are flat and wooden with zero chemistry between the two. The first 30 minutes is just a series of product placement shots really.

[spoiler]The ending was the predictable duel with a deus ex machina ending.[/spoiler]

Buttonman

This run finishes with the guilty pleasure We Bought a Zoo and the risible Wolfcop.

Also saw Jude Law in Black Sea which was OK despite his ridiculous Scottish accent which I thought was meant to be Russian at first.

Professor Bear

That was Scottish?  Fuck.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: von Boom on 14 June, 2015, 02:04:06 PM
Jurassic World.

The script for this film was clearly cut and paste from many other, more successful films. Both Chris Pratt and Bryce Howard are flat and wooden with zero chemistry between the two. The first 30 minutes is just a series of product placement shots really.

[spoiler]The ending was the predictable duel with a deus ex machina ending.[/spoiler]

Just got back from seeing this.

Jesus, what a pile of shite.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: radiator on 12 June, 2015, 10:00:08 AM
Jurassic World.

It's very meh I'm afraid.

Better than 2 and 3, but not by much.

I thought 3 was much better. Certainly tighter said the bishop to the nun

Tjm86

Finally tracked down a copy of the film version of Pat Barker's Regeneration and sat down for a viewing.

Having not read the novel in a long time (on one of my Uni courses) but having enjoyed it, I was not fully prepared for how engrossing it was.  Johnny Lee Miller and Jonathan Pryce stood out for me with their performances.  It stands alongside Charley's War as one of the most effective pieces of anti war story telling I have come across.

Mardroid

Dead Heads.

To borrow a term from Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, a Rom-Zom-Com, and buddy movie (more the buddy movie really) except the two main character protagonists (three if we count Cheese) are zombies themselves, yet in their right minds for some reason (not including Cheese in this case,[spoiler] although he has his moment[/spoiler]).

Very amusing. Manages to have dark rather warped humour yet still manages to be light-hearted, yet not afraid to be very sad on occasion. I loved how it did a little homage to Night of the Living Dead in places. except from a different angle.

I'm not over sure of the ending.[spoiler]It felt rather convenient for me.[/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

My ten year old came back from a birthday party where he was taken to see Jurassic World and he loved it. Although, when pushed, he conceded it was "maybe a little bit scary if you were wee" (translation: it was fucking terrifying dad).

Folks, we are not the audience.
Lock up your spoons!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 15 June, 2015, 12:54:23 AM
My ten year old came back from a birthday party where he was taken to see Jurassic World and he loved it. Although, when pushed, he conceded it was "maybe a little bit scary if you were wee" (translation: it was fucking terrifying dad).

Folks, we are not the audience.

Very true.
I took my 11 year old and he loved it.

Hawkmumbler

"We are not the target audience" isn't a good reason for something that is sloppily written, acted, and paced.

I love Dinosaurs, of course im the target audience, and Jurassic World is quite the turd.

Tiplodocus

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING
Eddie Redmayne plays Stephen Hawking in a film that is actually better than it's trailer suggests but still pretty poor. It's not that it's badly acted or written or anything like that. It's just that it's the wrong film.  It's about him and his missus falling in and out of love.
But yawn! Love stories are ten a penny - I wanted more about him and his break through workd and how Stephen Hawking sees the universe in a way that must be unique amongst humans - I'm pretty sure it's not as a milk swirl in a cuppa or some embers in a fire.
The first 45 minutes seems to go on forever but it, bizarrelly, picks up pace when he ends up in his chair.
Daredevil pops up for a bit too.
What have I seen Felicty Jones in recently?

Black Holes? More like Shit Holes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Had a friend over for a movie doubler last night so showed him Wyrmwood and REC4: Apocalypse and they went down a treat.

Wyrmwood is still great fun on a 3rd viewing and Bianca Bradey still looks astonishingly cool, and while REC 4 isn't as nerve shredding as the first film it's still holding up well. That was a 3rd viewing too, and I think it sits very happily with the first two to make a great trilogy (luckily storywise it's easy to ignore the existence of 3, which didn't float my boat at all really).

Mikey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 June, 2015, 06:36:30 PM
Finally tracked down a copy of the film version of Pat Barker's Regeneration and sat down for a viewing.

Having not read the novel in a long time (on one of my Uni courses) but having enjoyed it, I was not fully prepared for how engrossing it was.  Johnny Lee Miller and Jonathan Pryce stood out for me with their performances.  It stands alongside Charley's War as one of the most effective pieces of anti war story telling I have come across.

I haven't read the book (me Mrs has) and have only watche dit once when it came out - but I agree, it's fantastic.

The last film I watched was The Chaser, a Korean serial killer thriller type thing 'inspired' by a real life nutter. Pretty gruesome in parts, with a great anti-hero performance by Kim Yoon-seok it's a great film. As a side point, what I like about a lot of Korean films is they don't appear to treat the audience like arseholes and fighting seems to be treated realistically - it's messy,unpolished and not portrayed gladiatorily.

M.     
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mikey on 16 June, 2015, 10:30:17 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 June, 2015, 06:36:30 PM

I haven't read the book (me Mrs has) and have only watche dit once when it came out - but I agree, it's fantastic.

The last film I watched was The Chaser, a Korean serial killer thriller type thing 'inspired' by a real life nutter. Pretty gruesome in parts, with a great anti-hero performance by Kim Yoon-seok it's a great film. As a side point, what I like about a lot of Korean films is they don't appear to treat the audience like arseholes and fighting seems to be treated realistically - it's messy,unpolished and not portrayed gladiatorily.

M.   

Really liked Chaser too, saw it in the cinema back when Cineworld did their Tartan Asia seasons. Not sure if they still do those, but used to try and make it to as many as possible when they did and caught some really interesting films as a result.