Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

Danny Baker - 5 Live - right now - genius
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Frank

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 04 May, 2013, 09:30:03 AM
Danny Baker - 5 Live - right now - genius

If you listen to the podcast you don't have to put up with the news, travel, in-house advertising or boring guests. Anyway, that's cheating; if you're posting a radio show, I'm going to link to the clip I saw on Have I Got News For You last night of Brian May's hardcore gabba tune protesting against the badger cull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIlr-LcFsI

zombemybabynow

cheers saushie - my mate works for 'the league' but's away at the mo' - so have forwarded it on
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 04 May, 2013, 09:03:49 AM
Karen O's ditched the Hershey look for a cross between Vegas Elvis and Sue Pollard

As Billy Bragg once sang "She cut her hair and I stopped loving her"

radiator

I like Danny Baker but can't stand football. Is his 5 Live show predominantly about football?

Charlie boy

Quote from: radiator on 04 May, 2013, 09:26:36 AM
Seeing the YYYs at Ally Pally today!
It was only the Fever to Tell album of there's I really liked. I had a mate who always used to play the first EP and I remember there was one song on it that I thought was ok but that was all. Then the next album, I think it was Show Your Bones(?), had a couple of decent songs on it but sounded like it could have been recorded in somebody's front room. After that I've not really been impressed by anything of theirs apart from the acoustic version of Hysteric. I think Ladyhawke seemed to surpass them with that whole sound and style, particularly with the Anxiety album. But still, enjoy yourself tonite!

radiator

Ladyhawke? Really?

Each to their own I suppose!

I, Cosh

Enjoy. Somehow I've never managed to see them myself. Only listened to the new album a couple of times but These Paths is the current standout.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 04 May, 2013, 11:27:41 AM
I like Danny Baker but can't stand football. Is his 5 Live show predominantly about football?

Only in the same way the threads round here are supposed to concern themselves with the topic suggested by the title of the first post. I quite liked the jerky oddness of their first couple of records, but it was the genius incorporation of lush electronica with It's Blitz (and the danceability of Heads Will Roll specifically) which grabbed my attention. The new stuff's working for me too - enjoy the gig, radiator.

Charlie boy

Quote from: radiator on 04 May, 2013, 11:58:26 AM
Ladyhawke? Really?

Each to their own I suppose!
Haha I stand by Anxiety being a great album!

Spikes

I know little of modern pop music, but Paris is Burning by Ladyhawke is a most top tune, indeed.

Sepp Salerno

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 May, 2013, 01:36:49 PM
I know little of modern pop music, but Paris is Burning by Ladyhawke is a most top tune, indeed.
I liked that one as well

Charlie boy

And that was on her debut, so you'd probably like songs off the second album all the more!
It's what she's good at; alternative music scene finds itself being something of the pop disco soundtrack. I've seen her music being referred to as 'future 80s'.

radiator

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 May, 2013, 01:20:49 PM
Enjoy. Somehow I've never managed to see them myself. Only listened to the new album a couple of times but These Paths is the current standout.

They were ace. They played three or four new songs but mostly it was a bit of a greatest hits type set. Great live band - Karen has a real magnetic star quality to her. The whole band seemed to be having a blast, grinning like loons throughout. Great night.

Regarding Ladyhawke, as I said each to their own - only heard one or two of her songs on the radio, just sounded like a rather feeble 80s pastiche kind of thing to me. Not for me.

EddieHitler

My next door neighbour slamming his bl@*&y door every 5 minutes!!!