Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of doom in all its many incarnations. In terms of old school stuff, if you haven't heard Trouble, I would recommend them extremely highly – the first couple of albums (Psalm 9 and The Skull) are in a similar vein to Candlemass, though their best album, the self-titled one from 1990, is difficult to get hold of for a reasonable price. Another excellent doom act is Saint Vitus – 'Born Too Late' is considered the classic. Witchfinder General are a pivotal 80s UK doom-via-NWOBHM act – I've got a lot of time for their 'Death Penalty' album.

In terms of more modern stuff, Warning's 'Watching From a Distance' is probably the most soul-crushing, heart-rending, misery-inducing piece of heaviness ever recorded. It is slow, gruelling and flawlessly brilliant but by god, it puts you through the emotional ringer. Other recommendations would include Electric Wizard's 'Dopethrone' and any of Reverend Bizarre's stuff. Happy listening! (Or unhappy listening... it is doom, after all.)

CrazyFoxMachine

Yes Greg M is on the money there - great recommendations. Beyond early (arguably) proto-doom stuff like Sabbath and other early seventies hard rock the first "proper" doom I heard was Electric Wizard who are also cracking live.

Some very good doom records are:

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Sleep - Dopesmoker (Although this is arguably more stoner - and also an hour long song rather than an album but it is amazing)

Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend

Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror

Although yes Greg M is right on the money with the eighties roots stuff like Candlemass, Saint Vitus & Trouble although I'm less familiar with them (at the moment!). Pentagrams 1985 self-titled is up there too.

Aaah sweet doom.

Greg M.

Bonus points to CFM for picking my favourite Cathedral record. There was a time in the 90s when I was buying virtually everything that came out on Lee Dorrian's Rise Above label - of which I am particularly glad 'cos some of it isn't so easy to get hold of now. (Acrimony's brilliant 'Tumuli Shroomaroom' for one!)  And yes, definitely Pentagram too - the 'First Daze Here' collections are particularly strong if you want that authentic creepy recorded-in-a-barn-forty-years-ago vibe.

shaolin_monkey

Thanks both - I do have Dopethrone kicking about at home somewhere. I'll have to revisit it. Cheers for the other recommendations. Once I've digested Epicus I'll check 'em out!

Ancient Otter

Greg M. and CrazyFoxMachine, have you seen this sampler video on Youtube: My Favorite Proto-Metal Stoner/Doom Songs Of 60s/70s? Sir Lord Baltimore are on it who I think you said you liked, CrazyFoxMachine. Some neat stuff on it.

CrazyFoxMachine

Oh wow Otter what a trove :D

Will pick through that in a bit - have heard of some but not all - Buffalo are aamaazing.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 26 February, 2014, 08:27:51 PM
Oh wow Otter what a trove :D

Will pick through that in a bit - have heard of some but not all - Buffalo are aamaazing.

The person who put that up had another of list of 50 others, but the one I linked is the better, personal favourites so far are Lucifer by Dies Irae and Futilist's Lament by High Tide. What I learned from that video is Black Sabbath weren't really alone in the heavy blues stakes back then, like Buffalo and May Blitz were labelmates with them at Vertigo.

Greg M.

A right smorgasbord there, Otter, cheers! I have records by a quite few of these bands - Bang, Sir Lord Baltimore, Dust, High Tide, Buffalo, Cactus, Blue Cheer, Captain Beyond, Edgar Broughton, Flower Travellin' Band, Josefus, Jerusalem, Truth and Janey - but there's heaps there I've not encountered. Proto-metal is one of my absolute passions right now - particular highlights for me at the moment are Tucky Buzzard, Irish Coffee, Necromandus, Lucifer's Friend and one of my absolute favourite obscure mid-70s acts - Dirty Tricks. Their self-titled record is just brilliant - 'Back Off Evil' is proper bluesy doom, in the same vein as 'Jury' off Trapeze's amazing 'Medusa' album.

judda fett

Here's an ol' west country mucker of mine Spye with new song/ video - Oops Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOcdoQ3xzoU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dandontdare

can any of the muso-loving folks that frequent this thread help someone with poor web-fu track down a song?

Many years ago, a flatmate had the original 7" single of Birthday by the Sugarcubes. I much preferred the B side, which was the same song but in the original Icelandic version. My tape of it is long gone but I've never been able to find a download of it. Google searches bring up zillions of hits for the English version and adding "Icelandic" only tells me, surprise surprise, that they are an Icelandic band.

Any tips?

judda fett

DDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6hGc7S8d88&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Something like best video download could convert the vid into mp3 if you are that way inclined sir.

Dandontdare

Cheers Judda Fett - I'll check that out later (can't see Youtube at work) and see if it's as weird and mesmerising as I remember.

I was hoping for something I could stick on my i-pod or burn onto a CD. Are there tools that allow you to rip a soundtrack off a youtube video?

I, Cosh

Hi Dan. One thing which may help your quest is the band's name in Icelandic: Sykurmolarnir. I'd be surprised if you can't find a copy of the single on Discogs. Vaguely remember a thread here about bands doing their own songs in different languages. The Sugarcubes' second album is a totally different beast in its Illur Arfur incarnation.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Brilliant Cosh, that's just the sort of site I was looking for - plenty of copies available, from £4 + shipping - now I just need to find someone with a PC-connected turntable who can convert it to mp3, or find a site that has a downloadable version!

I, Cosh

Arf! You crazy young people and your digital piracy!

Tell you what, send me your mobile number and next time I'm home I'll play it down the phone to you.
We never really die.