Main Menu

NOT-NERDS IN "NOT-NERDS" SHOCKER

Started by -=>DEMONIZER<=-, 15 March, 2004, 01:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

Check today's Mail on Sunday supplement:-

"And the stereotypical view of an average chatroom user - the solitary nerd - could not be further from the truth. Professor Andrew Oswald of Warwick University carried out a survey of those who did - and did not - use the internet.

'I was expecting people who used the internet to lack confidence, to be shy people who never left the house,' he says. 'In fact, they are more likely to take part in community activities and are less shy and reserved than people who aren't online. It seems as though using the internet actually helps to build people's confidence.'

Malcolm Stern agrees: 'Perhaps they are leading more fulfilling lives because they are meeting people online who they have more in common with than their other friends. Why should we assume that the people we bump into in our day-to-day lives will become our best friends?'"

Well, there you go.

;)

Queen Firey-Bou

well thats cool, tho i imagine theres a whole range of chat users & non chat users on the nerd continuum.

basically out of the real people i see on a regular basis, the ones who use the internet & e-mail loads & yes even use chat rooms & forums, are actually the more outward looking, confident sortof people. Those who look agast when i mention such computronic interaction are in fact the type of folks who are still watching the same soaps & sitting in the same chair that they did 15 years ago.
 So i reckon that statment above sounds about right.

WoD

Hmm, someone reads the Mail.....I'll get the firewood; think we got ourselves a burning....

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

I didn't buy it - belonged to someone else.

We can burn him, if you want.

Quirkafleeg

That's what they all say...

Matt Timson

...as the flames begin to lick at the edges of their toes...

Actually, I'll read pretty much anything.  Depending on how bored I am.
Pffft...

Wils

*Anything*?
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0007106130.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg">

Dudley

ARRGGGHHHH!

A warning next time, maybe?

Matt Timson

Hmmm... probably not Digital Justice...

;)
Pffft...

Wils

Ah ha! As of later today, I'll no longer be the owner of said pile of shite. :p

VampiraJen

well, i don't leave the house, but only coz there's nowhere to go

Oddboy

I leave the house lots - I chat on the internet from work.
Better set your phaser to stun.

VampiraJen

isn't that against work policy?  When i was at college i didn't even have the (metophorical) balls to do not college related internet stuff.  i feared the wrath of the librarians ever since the told me to put away my bottle of dilluted orange juice...

Dudley

If workplaces actually enforced these policies, the internet would be a much quieter place.

Slippery PD

Or be in charge of the policy itself :D

Yer Slips