Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Goaty

Looks good! But I prefer the old one as it got big fucking guns!

Frank

Quote from: Goaty on 07 July, 2012, 10:19:45 PM
Looks good! But I prefer the old one as it got big fucking guns!

Quote of the week.

JOE SOAP

Helmet's too big. Shoulders too slopey. I smell fail.

Goaty

If the Robocop new verison of suit based on that metal skin, very worried!

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 July, 2012, 10:26:14 PM
Helmet's too big. Shoulders too slopey. I smell fail.

José Padilha's Tropa de Elite features SWAT-type uniforms, four-by-four vehicles and a slummy city. All these elements are guaranteed fail. They failed in the smash hit sequel too.

Beaky Smoochies

It looks like a slightly updated version of the old ED-209, could they not have put a bit more thought and originality into that new one?  Despite a pretty stellar cast for the remake, this might turn out a mixed affair at best...although it's certain to be a hella' better than the two sequels/television series/mini-series/cartoon show/comic books/etc, etc, etc...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

nuffsaid

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 08 July, 2012, 04:16:44 AM
It looks like a slightly updated version of the old ED-209, could they not have put a bit more thought and originality into that new one?

Does anyone think it's good that it looks really digital...?

JOE SOAP

It's meant to be a 'company' promo so I'd let that slide, it's not the film.

It does look rather atypical though.

Tiplodocus

Those ROBOCOP miniseries things are on LOVEFILM - there's a bout four of them I think.  Are they any good? And what order should I not bother watching them in?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

James Stacey

Murphy is a little short but they ain't bad takes on it. Better than the tv series

Frank

Someone's had the clever and utterly original idea of making a spoof corporate video to promote the new Robocop film.

I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!

Any parallels this film can draw between itself and Prometheus can surely only make positive associations in the minds of the viewing public.

Ancient Otter

ED-209 looks huge in the new version - look at the tank it destroys in the ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G9uxoOmy_iA

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 July, 2012, 04:48:41 PM
Those ROBOCOP miniseries things are on LOVEFILM - there's a bout four of them I think.  Are they any good? And what order should I not bother watching them in?

The short answer is don't, and that's coming from someone who has Robocop: the series on dvd, and bought the trilogy on Blu Ray just to watch Robocop 3.  The five films you refer to are actually an edited season-long story arc from a failed Robocop tv series called Prime Directives that was made on the erroneous assumption that if they just went ahead and made a Robocop tv show someone would buy it sooner or later, and as such they have loads of bits missing, like explaining why Robocop fights actual supervillains now (and naff ones at that), or why nobody can tell the difference between Robocop and Evil Robocop when Evil Robocop is a black guy.
They're just awful films, devoid of even the glimpses of satirical invention that Robocop 3 and The Series managed, and they concentrate on the one element common to all the worst bits of Robocop films, cartoons, comics, and tv shows: Robocop on the run or badly damaged.  He's a character that only really works as an active aggressor, and to see an entire series dedicated to him moping about being old/obsolete is more boring than even I could cope with.  Once you get past the inherent hilarity of the idea that someone actually made a tv series about Robocop having a mid life crisis, there's nothing about them worth a damn.

Hairwolf

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 08 July, 2012, 04:16:44 AM
It looks like a slightly updated version of the old ED-209, could they not have put a bit more thought and originality into that new one?

+1, If there's gonna be bloody reboots of everything how about a little effort towards maybe a different take on the idea, visually, script -wise..all of it