Main Menu

Dreddverse Map

Started by Funt Solo, 16 January, 2021, 01:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

I lived in South Carolina for a while. Wonder what it's like in Dredd's time?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

nxylas

AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

sheridan

Quote from: nxylas on 04 May, 2023, 12:20:17 PMI lived in South Carolina for a while. Wonder what it's like in Dredd's time?

Before the Apocalypse War?  Halfway to Mega-Miami!

After the Apocalypse War?  A nuclear hellhole, destroyed by Sov TADs.  Sorry.

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 04 May, 2023, 03:12:50 PMA nuclear hellhole, destroyed by Sov TADs.

Nerdy nit-pick: the Sovs weren't using TADs - just regular nukes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

Not got it to hand, but is the recent reprint of Anderson in the swampy south on there?
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 04 May, 2023, 10:42:37 AMGet it published in the Megazine

The map I used at the start of this thread isn't mine - only the overlay data. I am developing my own vector map of Dredd's world to satisfy my ability to edit things. I edited in Lake Louisiana just yesterday.

When it's mostly done, I've got a prototype for an interactive version, where you can focus on bits of the map and click on areas to bring up relevant stories. Like click on Murphyville to get a list of all the stories that feature it, kind of thing.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 May, 2023, 06:38:12 PMNot got it to hand, but is the recent reprint of Anderson in the swampy south on there?

No - but it will be in the shiny new interactive version I'm working on. I'll need some help from the hive mind to pinpoint complex globe-trotting stories. I went through Devlin's Reign of Frogs saga, and it visits many corners of the world.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

Quote from: Credo! on 04 May, 2023, 06:43:47 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 May, 2023, 06:38:12 PMNot got it to hand, but is the recent reprint of Anderson in the swampy south on there?

No - but it will be in the shiny new interactive version I'm working on. I'll need some help from the hive mind to pinpoint complex globe-trotting stories. I went through Devlin's Reign of Frogs saga, and it visits many corners of the world.

:P  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 May, 2023, 06:38:12 PMNot got it to hand, but is the recent reprint of Anderson in the Swampy South on there?

I'm not alone, right...?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Credo! on 04 May, 2023, 05:35:33 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 04 May, 2023, 03:12:50 PMA nuclear hellhole, destroyed by Sov TADs.

Nerdy nit-pick: the Sovs weren't using TADs - just regular nukes.

That's the kind of pedantry I love!

Funt Solo

Huh - just discovering now that the idea of irradiated deserts (like The Cursed Earth) are a bit weird, because (all things being equal) the radiation from nukes would decay rather quickly (weeks) so that decades later it wouldn't be the "high rads" situation often depicted.

Perhaps the types of bombs used in Dredd's world were more of a deliberate dirty-nuke idea that caused long-lasting radiation issues?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

There are currently around 100 nuclear power plants in the USA, each one of them a potential target. Coupled with chemical plants, storage facilities, etc., that's a lot of really toxic shite lying about the place. Conventional bombs would easily spread all that stuff about the environment. Hell, look what those evil idiots at Norfolk Southern did to poor old East Palestine with just a train and an emergency flare.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Lawman of the Present

I was under the impression that the baking heat and rads were at least in part due to artificial weather control. Protecting the city from fallout meant that weather patterns elsewhere were disrupted, thus the weather outside the city became increasingly chaotic. This resulted in the severe storms, heat and dust bowls.

Factor in also that the retconned Death Belt is said to be a result of experimental anti-grav devices from the Atomic War. Even muties are now explained away not just as a result of radiation, but a side effect from the original anti-rad pills given out by Booth, which protected from radiation but gave high incidence of bizarre birth defects.

This does suggest that the first muties were the children of adult survivors of the Atomic Wars, which does get a little squiffy timeline-wise when muties (and the Cursed Earth in general) are often treated as an age-old staple of Dredd's world, but would actually - especially in earlier stories - have been a rather recent development. In 2099 for example, by the new explanation, there shouldn't have been muties older than late twenties.

In a sci-fi world, you can always subtly update the explanations to make pseudo-scientific sense according to the current frame of reference.

In reality, thousands of nukes have already been tested on land around the world in the past century, prior to moving to simulated testing.

Fun fact - nuke tests at Bikini Atoll were the inspiration for Spongebob, lil' muties on the bottom of the sea.

Funt Solo

Getting close to finishing my new vector map of the Dreddverse. Here's South-Am:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++