Main Menu

Daredevil fans in the house?

Started by chris_askham, 20 September, 2008, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_askham

I was always quite fond of the mid/late 80's run on Daredevil, with Nocenti writing and John Romita Jr artwork, but have no idea whether they've stood the test of time. I'm about to re-read them now anyway, so I'll soon find out. I have recently gone back and read the Frank Miller runs, which vary in quality but set a nice tone for the series. And I thought I'd have a bit of a dabble with the Dennis O'Neill issues which came after Miller's first run, but discovered them to be pretty poor.

Anyway, what i wanted to know is, are there any decent runs after the Nocenti/JRjr run? Are Fall Of The Kingpin or Fall From Grace worth buying? And are they're any other standout issues? I'm strictly talking about the first volume here, as trade collections are few and far between, unlike the second volume which seems to be collected in entirety.

Marbles

Personally I'd skip all that stuff and jump straight to the Bendis run. I have the new Omnibus on my shelf (next to the 2 Frank Miller Omniboo + my Bowen DD mini-bust  8-) ) and its a very fine collection (apart from the misprint on the cover).
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Bongo Jack

I found the Bendis run tosh, to be honest, and didn't see the appeal in turning a camp vigilante into some sort of sub-Sopranos knock-off with everyone talking like Joe Pesci circa every role he did in the mid-90s.  Bendis is not a 'story' guy, though it seems otherwise when he takes two years to get where 'lesser' writers end up after two issues.  After a couple of years of the same old gubbins, I dropped the book, but because Bendis writes with the trade collection (not the individual monthly) readers in mind, I can't even get rid of these so-called 'classic' issues of the Bendis arc - doubly useless!

Miller did the grim stuff well in the 1980s by not wallowing in it, Nocenti brought DD back to the Marvel Universe to face more outre adversaries again, but is a bit under-rated in FM's wake.  Did she do that Beer With The Devil issue?  That was good.
Live forever or die trying

PsychoGoatee

I was a fan of all Frank Miller's Daredevil stuff, but I haven't really kept up with any of the recent comics. I probably should. Daredevil is Marvel's Batman, after all.  :mrgreen:

Colin YNWA

Big fan of a lot of the Daredevil stuff. Enjoyed Bendis' stuff and it played a large part in getting back into comics which led me back to the promised land of reading 2000ad regularly! That said the new Brubaker stuff is just as good.

Going back a bit I was a little disappointed when I last re-read the Miller + Janson stuff (though Janson's inks still rock) but will be giving it another go at some point as I picked up the omnibus cheap on eBay. As for Nocenti's stuff this was always my favourite when first into comics. Again I've recently picked this up cheap and having found time to read a few I have to say I think it holds up really well and is one of the long forgotten gems of comics - love it - even when it gets a bit preachie still great

Colin YNWA

Just finished the last trade of the Brubaker run and it truely has been excellent. Sure I wish one day they'd take Matt back, at least for a little while, to be a swahbuckling hero and not keep putting him through the mill. But hey his suffering is so well done.

One thing I think they've done exceptionally well on this title is make sure that after a long run by one writer or another you really do feel you have to keep going. It would seem that dropping off points are things of the past for DD at least. Brubakers run much like Bendis' before it ends in such a way that I know for a fact I'll have to pick up Diggle's first arc (not that there was much doubt anyway). I'm surprised more titles haven't picked up this method of handover.

Anyway great stuff.

Colin YNWA

Don't suppose anybody picked up Daredevil Black and White did hey. A nice little once shot from Marvel with a great little Pete Milligan story (and a fine text story by the brillant Anne Nocenti). Glad I saw this at my LCS as it'de passed me by completely.

blinding

zombemybabynow

I think i read the inferno stuff featuring stick, mephisto and son, typhoid mary etc and really loved it

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/daredevil/262-1.jpg
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Colin YNWA

Uh look at these teaser images from Jock.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28253

How nice is that leaping between buildings one!

chris_askham

Gorgeous couple of covers there - looks to me like a return to the Frank Miller days.

Still haven't caught up with Daredevil since I started this thread. I did get round to reading all the Nocenti / JRjr issues which I really enjoyed, and had fond memories of the one or two issues I'd previously read.

Unfortunately I then read Kevin Smith's run...

Buddy

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 September, 2010, 02:00:01 PM
Uh look at these teaser images from Jock.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28253

How nice is that leaping between buildings one!

Any chance Jock will be doing the art on this book?

Or is it just covers.

Colin YNWA

Given he's just signed to do Detective I'd guess not, but then you never know what changes might have happened?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 October, 2009, 09:32:54 AM
Just finished the last trade of the Brubaker run and it truely has been excellent. Sure I wish one day they'd take Matt back, at least for a little while, to be a swahbuckling hero and not keep putting him through the mill.

Well I necropost for a good reason. Rumour has it the new team of Waid and Paolo Rivera with Marcos Martin might be putting DD back to a more even keel. Regardless of what they do just look how great this art looks.

http://marvel.com/news/story/15983/sneak_peek_daredevil_1

I know its a easy, lazy comparison but so reminiscent of Dave Mazzucchelli (especially the stuff just prior to Born Again) with a health dose of John Romita Jr thrown in.

Shame there seems to be a delay in getting the trades of Shadowland and Reborn out meaning I'm pretty behind the comics at this point.

Greg M.

Strikes me this is exactly what Daredevil needs (aside from a good long rest, to be quite honest... a couple of years out of circulation could do him a lot of good.) The character has been completely run into the ground in recent years and Waid, Rivera and especially Marcos Martin (one of the most remarkably talented chaps in US comics) might be just what the doctor ordered. No more pointless retreads of stuff Frank Miller did better two-and-a-half decades ago - I like the fact Waid intends to put a different spin on things.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I did wonder how long his lay off would be after Shadowland with the launch of the Black Panther title from that. I expected a Thor type lay off but I guess its sales are so consistent that that was never on the cards. Storywise yeah I think it'd have made perfect sense.

Or something like the road trip, voyage of self discover that Anne Nocenti took him on... but that's a well worn path.