Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Well, they are, but they're in two different countries.

Tjm86

Quote from: milstar on 19 December, 2021, 05:14:30 PM
I thought they are both in the Emerald Isle. Maybe I was wrong...

Nice to see that awareness of one of the more thorny and intractable issues of British politics is so widespread!  ;-)  On the plus side it does show one of the benefits of the Good Friday Agreement.  After all we don't have so many bombings these days.  Not to say that everything is rosy in the Northern part of the Emerald Isle.

As for anti-brigade, hopefully they enjoyed the opportunity to broadcast their views to all and sundry in London yesterday.  Once the latest criminal justice bill gets on the statute books that is a privilege that will go the way of the dinosaurs.  They will end up with the best part of a year to appreciate what 'freedom' really is at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 December, 2021, 04:42:29 PM
I'll just put to one side the idea that Dublin and Belfast are interchangeable in your mind - let's call that unusual and move on.

Not being a mind-reader, I can never tell whether you're taking the piss. Was it London or Glasgow? One of those. Interchangeable. Whatever. Sunni or Shia? Whatever. Black, white - what's the difference? Etc.

This is why the Brexit referendum was such a bad idea. How many of the voters even knew what country they were in while voting? Or on what continent? Planet?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Speaking as someone who lives in Belfast, ignorance and confusion about our constitutional status is more widespread than you might think, or the DUP would like to admit. Particularly amongst those Tory voting weirdos on that wee island off our east coast. I would add that it's always amusing to have it yanksplained to you, which brings us neatly around to the pro-disease crowd. There have been several protests at city hall which always include rhetoric from America's so-called culture war, like our homegrown one isn't good enough anymore. People claiming their constitutional rights and whatnot. I've even seen some confederate and "Don't tread on me" flags flegs. Pure scundered.
You may quote me on that.

milstar

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 December, 2021, 05:32:30 PM
Well, they are, but they're in two different countries.

I know that, I just thought my mind-slipping wasn't that pertinent for the anti-vaxx protesters news.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 December, 2021, 05:38:33 PM
Nice to see that awareness of one of the more thorny and intractable issues of British politics is so widespread!  ;-)  On the plus side it does show one of the benefits of the Good Friday Agreement.  After all we don't have so many bombings these days.  Not to say that everything is rosy in the Northern part of the Emerald Isle.

I'd like some Clothworthy beer.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 19 December, 2021, 05:48:36 PM
...rhetoric from America's so-called culture war...

I saw on the news a protest in New Zealand where they were wearing MAGA hats and Trump t-shirts (this summer). I got a bit depressed at that - the notion of Trump as president of a fascist world state.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 December, 2021, 05:48:09 PM
I'll just put to one side the idea that Dublin and Belfast are interchangeable in your mind - let's call that unusual and move on.

Not being a mind-reader, I can never tell whether you're taking the piss. Was it London or Glasgow? One of those. Interchangeable. Whatever. Sunni or Shia? Whatever. Black, white - what's the difference? Etc.

This is why the Brexit referendum was such a bad idea. How many of the voters even knew what country they were in while voting? Or on what continent? Planet?

Okay, I wasn't sure which one was of the two cities. Big deal. It was in Ireland, let's leave it at that. I definitely wasn't planning this to turn into a The Troubles debate.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Sorry - feel free to switch back to discussing pro-virus campaigners.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pauljholden

Quote from: milstar on 19 December, 2021, 05:52:27 PM

Okay, I wasn't sure which one was of the two cities. Big deal. It was in Ireland, let's leave it at that. I definitely wasn't planning this to turn into a The Troubles debate.

I wish I could be surprised at the wilful ignorance.

Proudhuff

Quote from: pauljholden on 20 December, 2021, 01:08:19 PM
Quote from: milstar on 19 December, 2021, 05:52:27 PM

I wish I could be surprised at the wilful ignorance.

Its the English way, Big deal. let's leave it at that.
DDT did a job on me

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the things is, if that party was a work meeting, as our buller betters contend, the obvious question to retort with is why the barons actually needed to be fuelled by umpteen bottles of vino whilst making decisions about what has become, in terms of death numbers (around 19 million, according to actual epidemiologists), the worst affliction of any kind that humanity has ever suffered (with the uk continuing to be one of the most horrific exemplars)? maybe there's a boozed-up link ?

Funt Solo

The Tories Conservative Party and their Christmas Parties work meetings held in accordance with the rules, and the response to everyone finding out about them worshiping them as their rightful betters seems like a narrative from Orwell Churchill, with the levels of doublethink patriotism in our fight against Eurasia!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

So... Will Johnson last January?  Genuinely wondering what the view is like from inside the UK.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 December, 2021, 10:25:11 PM
So... Will Johnson last January?  Genuinely wondering what the view is like from inside the UK.

Wil it make a difference? what's the next one like Dave the Mayor?
DDT did a job on me

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i remember many, many conversations at the time about cameron being the 'worst prime minister ever'.
then may took the crown.
then bojo took it, easily, and transported us all into the ninth circle. he has even made jeremy hunt look like an empathetic statesman - in comparison.
i have no doubt that whoever comes next will be even worse. raab? gove? patel (and under her premiership, i wouldn't be at all surprised if the tyburn death circus made a comeback)? gloriana truss? sunak, the current favourite (although he will embarrass us less internationally, with his seeming to possess at least a veneer of respectability, we must never forget his culpability in being the architect of the eat out to help out massacre - and sources have it that it was sunak who prevented bojo from taking any of the measures at covid mitigation suggested by the country's leading virologists and epidemiologists this week)?
there is nothing good to follow, whenever the blond buffoon goes.
hohoho.