Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 22 December, 2021, 12:04:59 PM
i remember many, many conversations at the time about cameron being the 'worst prime minister ever'.
then may took the crown.
then bojo took it, easily, and transported us all into the ninth circle. he has even made jeremy hunt look like an empathetic statesman - in comparison.
i have no doubt that whoever comes next will be even worse. raab? gove? patel (and under her premiership, i wouldn't be at all surprised if the tyburn death circus made a comeback)? gloriana truss? sunak, the current favourite (although he will embarrass us less internationally, with his seeming to possess at least a veneer of respectability, we must never forget his culpability in being the architect of the eat out to help out massacre - and sources have it that it was sunak who prevented bojo from taking any of the measures at covid mitigation suggested by the country's leading virologists and epidemiologists this week)?
there is nothing good to follow, whenever the blond buffoon goes.
hohoho.

Any of those mentioned above can only mean a step closer to independence for Calhab 😁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Tjm86

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 22 December, 2021, 12:11:48 PM
Any of those mentioned above can only mean a step closer to independence for Calhab 😁

To be honest Lancashire, Cumbria, Yorkshire and Milton Keynes are liable to declare independence, never mind Scotland and Wales! 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 22 December, 2021, 12:11:48 PMAny of those mentioned above can only mean a step closer to independence for Calhab
Perhaps. But despite everything, polling in Scotland hasn't substantially shifted. Also, even if 'leave' were to win there, the country would be deeply divided on the matter, which—as we've seen with Brexit—does't necessarily bode well.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

... which only means, yet again as ever, that democracy is very overrated. technocracy is our only hope. time for the actual experts to bite back.
after all, haven't we had enough of everyone being an epidemiologist now (except for the, er, actual epidemiologists)?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 December, 2021, 01:45:52 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 22 December, 2021, 12:11:48 PMAny of those mentioned above can only mean a step closer to independence for Calhab
Perhaps. But despite everything, polling in Scotland hasn't substantially shifted. Also, even if 'leave' were to win there, the country would be deeply divided on the matter, which—as we've seen with Brexit—does't necessarily bode well.

Wow, I had no idea. Couldn't you join the EU again if you became independent? I seem to remember the EU was quite a major selling point for the non-independence side in the last referendum?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

I'm not Scottish, but, yes, Scotland could in theory join the EU under Article 49, although would have to do quite a lot to align. I get the sense the best settlement for Scotland, though, would be for the UK as a whole to stop electing fuckwits to Westminster, to rejoin the EEA (at least) and the EU (eventually), while increasing devolution (not only to Scotland/NI/Wales, but also to English regions), along with reforming the upper house so representation is split broadly evenly between the four nations (although I'd argue it would make sense to first split it evenly between non-partisans and politicians).

Sadly, I suspect the UK will continue electing fuckwits, in which case good luck to Scotland. Breaking away will make a lot of sense, but I do hope everyone on the "let's scarper" side recognises how painful and divisive such an event will be. A shit-ton of loser's consent will be required. (Wales did quite well with that during its vote on the assembly. The Brexit lot, though...)

Trooper McFad

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 December, 2021, 01:45:52 PM

I agree polling isn't at the tipping point yet and I would prefer an independence vote of 65% to bring most of the population along. (Can but dream).

I don't know how much the longing to be part of the EU will be in peoples mind.I know I'd prefer to be in the EU even if it meant a hard border between Scotland & England - and I love popping down south for visits. But only to deal with one border is easier than 27!

It's still a long way off and may never happen in my lifetime but it's inching closer?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Proudhuff

I'm with Calhab Block! Who you fighting with?!
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Presently fashioning some colossal iron hooks and chains in the vein hope the northern counties will be dragged along re. indiref.

Funt Solo

Well, I've been enjoying the result of the Colston Four trial.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

I know they won't, but wouldn't it be great if the police arrested Boris for fiddling while Rome burned.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

It would be glorious to behold, but they've already made it clear that they can't investigate crimes that have happened in the past.  I expect they're putting a lot of resources into Efil Drago San's mass homicides.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I don't wish any harm upon the Prime Minister, but I do find myself increasingly curious about the comparative durability of his teeth compared to the palm of my hand.
You may quote me on that.

CalHab

I think the big question is whether Sunak wants to be PM now, or in the summer.

I'm hugely impressed by the likes of Pippa Crerar at the Mirror for this drip, drip strategy with he Downing Street revelations. She could have released a huge expose, as has been done in the past, and Johnson would have bluffed and blustered his way through a few days of bad news before finding the latest dead cat. As it is, she and her colleagues have sustained a slow, painful death in the polls for the Tories.

All Kier Starmer has to do is stand around and look semi-competent. Which is good, because that's about his limit.