Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 June, 2021, 09:48:00 AM
If you dislike Queen, I don't think there's *any* way to enjoy Highlander!

Ha! I've long harboured a suspicion that if Queen hadn't done the soundtrack it wouldn't have been so beloved. Imagine it all tracked by Extreme Noise Terror or Klaus Nomi.

I've watched loads of the Adrian Paul series too, as my housemates were well into it at University - it stretches the concept even further and it's all so po-faced. I always thought it would have been better if it were slightly dafter in tone.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

karlos

The TV show was mostly crap, aye, but I'll always have a soft spot for the very first episode having Lambert turn up to pass the torch on, as well as the onea with Roger Daltrey as a ghost or something.

I, Cosh

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 June, 2021, 09:48:00 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 07 June, 2021, 09:41:15 AM
Just to buck the trend here, Highlander is total tosh. Awful acting from almost all the leads (Sean Connery in particular totally phones it in: Clancy Brown is pretty excellent though) and a mind-numbingly stupid plot. If you don't like Queen (I don't) then it's got nothing going for it in my opinion other than the fact that it's not as bad as the sequels which are even worse.
If you dislike Queen, I don't think there's *any* way to enjoy Highlander!
I detest Queen yet Flash! and Highlander are two of my favourite films. Something about their straight-faced ridiculousness just works in context.

Had somehow forgotten about The Shadow. Another great wee film whose fond place in history was cemented by an excellent pinball machine!
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Best pinball machine / movie tie-in: The Addams Family
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Highlander II - The Quickening

I was very tired and had drunk a glass of wine so I kinda missed the end. 

It has Michael Ironside as the villain!  OK, his performance doesn't match Clancy Brown's, but it's still a big plus for the film.  The effects weren't as bad as I was expecting either.

It has bad pacing and a weird tone.  The story is kinda bland sci-fi fair.  As a sequel it isn't good as it tries and fails to replicate aspects of the original film and it retcons a lot as well.  As it's own thing it isn't that much worse than the original.  It's a piece of low quality junk, but I think it is watchable.  Perhaps even rewatchable.

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 07 June, 2021, 09:08:03 PM
Highlander II - The Quickening

I was very tired and had drunk a glass of wine so I kinda missed the end. 

It has Michael Ironside as the villain!  OK, his performance doesn't match Clancy Brown's, but it's still a big plus for the film.  The effects weren't as bad as I was expecting either.

It has bad pacing and a weird tone.  The story is kinda bland sci-fi fair.  As a sequel it isn't good as it tries and fails to replicate aspects of the original film and it retcons a lot as well.  As it's own thing it isn't that much worse than the original.  It's a piece of low quality junk, but I think it is watchable.  Perhaps even rewatchable.

You had more patience for Quickening than I did.

Mortal Kombat (1995)

I missed MK in the theatres, which, from what I heard, wasn't worth while experience, so I catched this classic 90s film on the telly. The movie is still badass as before (although I wish I am 20 years younger) and it pays tribute to MK lore really well. Okay, compared to other movies based on popular video games, like Street Fighter; which is the movie that should be like MK. But oh well... Anyway, I take it that the majority is familiar with the movie so I won't waste any more words on this, except that the movie runs for my pace too quick, and Sonya and Kano are vastly undermined, but you can't have it all.

Flawless victory!
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: milstar on 07 June, 2021, 11:37:08 PM
You had more patience for Quickening than I did.

I was very tired and had a glass of wine... and kinda missed the end.  I reserve the right to change my mind entirely on watching it with a much clearer head ;)

I also didn't point out that the sex scene(?) was a real whiplash.  Utterly bizarre, I couldn't help but laugh at it.  Maybe I shouldn't judge.  Watching an old man decapitate two sci-fi weirdos and then regain his youth would weaken the loins of anyone.

CalHab

To continue the Connery theme:

The Untouchables (Netflix). This is a film I've watched a lot, but probably not in the last 20 years. Anyway, it turns out my other half hadn't seen it. It's a far more interesting film than I remembered it. It takes a done-to-death story and reinvigorates it by taking care with every aspect of the production. David Mamet's script is filled with classic lines. Giorgio Armani's costume design evokes a nostalgia for a 1930 that only existed in Hollywood. Morricone's score is recognisably his but, again, plays with classic gangster tropes. De Palma also has fun playing with the genre conventions and even slips in a wonderful tribute to The Battleship Potempkin (I'd never really noticed the sailor until this viewing).

Of course Costner is very well cast as the naive, whiter-than-white Elliott Ness and De Niro delivers his lines with relish (he has some wonderfully chilling scenes). But, as ever, Connery steals the show. It's an iconic role for him even if his Irish policeman seems to have been brought up in Gorgie.

An utterly brilliant film.

karlos

Had no idea The Untouchables is on Netflix.

It's a masterpiece, yup, and kickstarted my mild Mamet obsession as a film-crazed teen.

Hawkmumbler

Always loved the fact Bob Hoskins was De Palma's second choice to play Capone, after a few months and De Niro had been announced Hoskins received $12,000 in the post as consolation from De Palma for being his back up.

Hoskins immediately called Brian De Palma and asked him if there where any other movies he didn't want him to be in.

Link Prime

Had one of those days yesterday, so went for two ice cold bottles of Birra Moretti and a comedy on Netflix as soon as I got in from work.

The Naked Gun 2&1⁄2: The Smell of Fear was my chosen tonic. Still a classic.

Is there a bigger 'separate the art from the artist' situation than still finding The Juice funny after all these years?

repoman

I've been up down and up with The Untouchables.  I really liked it as a kid but saw it about five years ago and the acting was so over the top that it seemed ridiculous and I hated it.  But gave it a go recently and didn't mind it again.  Not a huge fan of Costner, I don't find him to have much charisma but it's a good film.

Anyway, I gave Jacob's Wife a go.  A horror comedy starring Barbara Crampton.  It's a lot of fun.  One of the best in that sub-genre.

Quote from: milstar on 07 June, 2021, 11:37:08 PM
Mortal Kombat (1995)

I like it a lot.  I was a big fan of the first two games and it did a good job of really nailing the atmosphere and characters.  Shockingly, I quite like the sequel too.  It's very very silly but it's basically just a lot of fights and that kind of works given what the games are like.

The new one was utter trash though.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: repoman on 09 June, 2021, 11:29:06 AM
..starring Barbara Crampton..

Already interested!

The best thing about 1995 Mortal Kombat is Trevor Goddard's depiction of Kano.

repoman

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 09 June, 2021, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: repoman on 09 June, 2021, 11:29:06 AM
..starring Barbara Crampton..

Already interested!

The best thing about 1995 Mortal Kombat is Trevor Goddard's depiction of Kano.

Oddly the Kano in the new one is the best thing about it also!

Barrington Boots

Yay! Just more proof that Kano is the best thing going when it comes to Mortal Kombat!