Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Peter Rabbit

Or James Corden as the titular rabbit. I hated this. I don't know if this film is supposed to be a comedy, nor I don't know if you, as the viewer, are supposed to hate Peter. Naughty, obnoxious, irredeemable bloke he is, and if anywhere the comedy went wrong, that'd definitely be the infamous blackberry scene. Loud, predictable, and plain stupid are all synonymous with this film. And it definitely wasn't the film I'd blithely show to my potential kids.

Speaking of, is there a role, any role, in existence that James Corden would flat-out refuse to play?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

I was interested in watching that film.  Until I found out James Corden was in it.  He has always rubbed me the wrong way.  I find him very unpleasant and I find it incomprehensible the amount of success he has had.  I'm not sure I've read or heard a positive word spoken of the man up to this point.  His mere presence in anything makes it unwatchable for me.  So I didn't watch Peter Rabbit.

Funt Solo

I have that with Andie McDowell, as well. No real rhyme or reason, I just find her terminally insipid. So Groundhog Day and Four Weddings are both tragedies from my perspective. Shallow as it is. Also find Cordon a talentless, gurning blip of somehow widespread exposure. Evidence that we're in a bugged sim.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

I can get the Cordon hate - he is a bit of an annoying shit.

Still have a soft spot for Gavin & Stacey though

milstar

Falling Down

Hmm...should I dislike a movie that purposefully did everything to make you feel unpleasant, heavy with philosophical undercurrents that ultimately don't rise above the cliched Hollywood formula? Don't know how much of this movie went into Joker, but some similarities are striking. Nevertheless, I find Michael Douglas's role as stereotypical angry white male role (although I firmly believe there is a portion of truth in every stereotype) one of his career-best and on par with Joaquin's titular clown. Anyway, I got mixed feelings about the whole movie. I get the point it tried to make but it tried to show ugliness every step of the way altogether. As if someone wrote down a series of cliched vignettes of what can go wrong to everyday people in a big city (from Boston to Budapest), LA is shown as a cesspool of place, filled with selfish, miserable, bitchy, prickish, cantankerous blips where Michael Douglas serves as judge, jury, and executioner that ramps up his insanity. Robert Duvall perhaps could be the best character in the whole movie, but he takes a dump as the henpecked husband, whose apparent lack of attitude gets him into the butt of the sardonic jokes by his colleagues. Too bad Duvall channels Robert Duvall here and I find his part vastly underwritten. Acting-wise, aside from Douglas, my money goes to that crazy nazi bloke; I dare to say, he stole those scenes from Michael.
In the end, I dare to say that the subject matter should be served with a more serious treatment, perhaps as an indie arthouse production. If it's to milstar, I imagine this as a much darker film, that takes place on some holiday, for e.x Christmas and the main character being a happy family man than an already psyched-up office drone.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

Birthday Girl

Eh... I remember this movie from my childhood when I watched it with my old man and younger brother. Probably I'll forever remember the moment when during one of the intimate encounters between Nicole Kidman and Ben Chaplin, my brother, who was 8 or 9 then, asked "What are they doing?" And my Dad spontaneously responded "Ugh...they're just...toying".
Aside, I didn't remember the movie as something remarkable. The movie runs out of juice after the first ten minutes, actually, soon Nicole's Russian cohorts get on the scene. Everything after that was painfully boring. Oh, and Ben Chaplin acted like a dork. Nor I got why he, after giving the information on 20 million women in Britain, he had to order a Russian bride. At least Nicole looks good in this movie, as always.

repoman

Spiral

Set in the Saw universe.  It's not one of the better ones (1, 4 or 6) but that's no surprise as it was directed by the guy that made 2, 3 and 5. 

But it's not terrible and it's reasonably short.  I didn't mind it.

milstar

Jumper

This has to be one of the most ridiculous science fiction films I have ever seen. And the premise rather suits those B movies of the 1950s. Jump from pace to place, from Hawaii to the Himalayas in an instant coyly activated my cheek muscles for laughter. Unfortunately, the experience of the whole movie is not that warm. While the runtime of just below 1hr and 30 min may seem too short, a rather frantic and hectic pace of the piece makes it up. Adjoined by heavy handheld camera use and ridiculous set pieces. Dialogues and characters are plain stodgy and Hayden Christensen delivers his lines as if the whole life is sucked out of him. Rachel Bilson annoys with frequent crying out her love interest David. Sam L. Jackson is standardly good as always, but he had to be turned into a cardboard villain. Oh yes, let's not forget Jamie Bell, who plays a Scottish jumper a-hole, who perhaps gives on what the whole meaning of jumping is about. "We are not heroes, we don't save the girls!" Pure MGTOW. The highest point in the movie is when he and Hayden are fighting each other throughout various corners of the planet, in a brief instant. Oh, and yes, I get that Assassin Creed stole the idea from this movie. And Templars are Paladins, so yeah...

pictsy

Quote from: milstar on 21 June, 2021, 11:30:16 AM
Jumper

I remember Push being more enjoyable and interesting than this film.  Not a particularly remarkable film, but it in comparison it brings a lot more to the table.

The Legendary Shark

The Wrath of Man. An intriguing start rapidly descends into a run-of-the-mill same old, same old fest trying desperately to disguise itself as something clever and fresh.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 June, 2021, 07:05:49 PM
The Wrath of Man. An intriguing start rapidly descends into a run-of-the-mill same old, same old fest trying desperately to disguise itself as something clever and fresh.

Judging by the trailer is this not just Jason Stateham doing shooty-shooty bang-bang?
Lock up your spoons!

broodblik

The Wrath of Man I enjoyed. Yes, and tries to make you believe it is more than just an action-fest movie but in its heart it always was an action-fest movie
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

milstar

The Happening

Okay, for all faults I found in Jumper, that movie is masterpiece to The Happening. I don't think I ever watched any more M. Night Shamalan recent picture, but I after this massacre, I don't think I'll soon. Omg, this was a failure on almost every level, and too much of it just to count them all, nor I really do not wanna waste further space on this movie than it deserves. For all what's worth, I find CinemaSins take on the movie rather enjoyable, but not too much as it always reminds you on how much the utter shite the film is.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 June, 2021, 08:12:40 AM

Judging by the trailer is this not just Jason Stateham doing shooty-shooty bang-bang?

Yes.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 June, 2021, 08:23:56 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 June, 2021, 08:12:40 AM

Oh cool.  I like Stathem shooty-shooty bang-bang films... well, most of them.  I bet he does some martial arts type stuff and drives a car really fast as well.  And scowls a lot.

Yes.