Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

repoman

I'm playing a thing called Astalon: Tears of the Earth.  Because it's a modern indie game it is mandatory for it to be a roguelite platformer with 8-bit visuals and that'd normally put me off but the level design is really good and it's keeping me playing when I should really be reviewing other things.  I like it a lot.

milstar

Mortal kombat Arcade Kollection

Got to say, I was in diapers when the first three MK were released, so i won't say anything that would spoil for number of gamers who grew up with these.
This collection definitely seems like nice trip to memory lane; if wasn't for just nerve-racking difficulty. I don't think I ever beaten max three opponents in the row without being arse kicked. And that's on very easy difficulty. But my sense of pride keeps me off going to uninstall, yet. We'll see.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

milstar

Bioshock Infinite

Bloody hell... Has Grant Morrison secretly wrote this game, or he possessed Ken Levine to do so? Thanks to deep philosophical bs and heavy symbolism present. I don't think I ever played a game so mind-tripping and story-wise incomprehensible. But story aside, this actually is a blast. Mesmerizing graphics that are state of the art, I give it that. Unfortunately. I said, unfortunately, because my rig isn't one of the brightest or fastest, so I can't tweak graphics in their pure glory (so I had to settle from low to normal settings). But, the game at least is perfectly optimized for my PC, and sometimes that is more than I'd ask. If there is anything really that I have against Infinite is heavy linearity, like the first Bioshock, where the only motivating factor that keeps me forward is waiting for the next weirdness that lies ahead. And vigors never bore.
As for the subject matter, the game pushes some hot buttons there, definitely not meant to make you cozy. And like I said, art, and I'd add video games here - shouldn't give you moral lessons. I lay my case rest here.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Link Prime

Quote from: milstar on 29 June, 2021, 12:38:08 PM
Bioshock Infinite

Fantastic fun.

Featuring a modern classic gaming moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfDjHL1x9s
(The game is set in 1912)

milstar

Finished Bioshock Burial at Sea, both eps. The trip down to memory lane (re-visiting Rapture) was welcome, but more plot confusions and contrivances follow. The first ep is bit short and the gameplay feels washed up. The second felt like playing Batman in the Arkham series. And bloody hell, are these two episodes trying to shed my tears. Especially the ending of the Episode 2. Very depressing, very sad. But harrowing it was, I was surprised how the plot ties conveniently to the original Bioshock (Ken Levine is mad genius).

milstar

Ah... Two Rebellion games were on my menu in the last few days. One was so-so, the other...

Sniper Elite III

After SE v2 and Zombie Army Trilogy, I said it was time to visit Africa. Overall, this was slightly engaging. The gameplay largely remained unchanged, but now instead of war torn Germany, you are amid the desert. And have to admit, I prefer the war ravaged cities in Germany than drab, uninspired look of our southern neighbor. On a brighter side, at least graphics are worthwhile. Shading and sun effect effects never looked so gorgeous. Unfortunately, facial characteristics look rather dowdy and crude. But X-Ray shots are always fun to watch, which I must say are the primary reason I play Sniper Elite. I also did the four DLC missions, the first one was perhaps the most interesting where you get to assassinate the Hitler (or choose not to) in a myriad of ways. But damn, I only once pulled one-nut shot! (I like how the devs paid attention to such a small detail). I only lost my nerves in the last DLC which as I write this, never managed to finish it, not even after two hours of working it out. Enemies popping out of anywhere, some equipped with bazooka, and a tank.

Rogue Warrior

This I only tried to. I already heard nothing positive about this game, but nevertheless, I masochistically went into it. Although if I knew that the game would largely feel like Shellshock 2 (which was at the Rebellion development around the same time), I'd probably avoid it. Unfortunately, everything in Rogue Warrior felt painfully similar to Shellshock 2. Lackluster graphics, clanky, awkward control system, weapon accuracy, ridiculously stupid enemy AI, but whose shots really hurt, the length... Well, I haven't got the time to test the length. I perhaps could sway aside all shortcomings in the game, if I didn't have a constant exiting to desktop for a very brief, but annoying period of time, and after several times of such, I got the error runtime... application terminated, blah blah... In this cases, add/remove programs is the only option to do.
Not even Mickey Rourke in his badass, extremely profane tirades could save this. For what it's worth, Duke Nukem Forever is a much better choice.

repoman

Quote from: milstar on 11 June, 2021, 08:44:55 PM
Mortal kombat Arcade Kollection

Got to say, I was in diapers when the first three MK were released, so i won't say anything that would spoil for number of gamers who grew up with these.
This collection definitely seems like nice trip to memory lane; if wasn't for just nerve-racking difficulty. I don't think I ever beaten max three opponents in the row without being arse kicked. And that's on very easy difficulty. But my sense of pride keeps me off going to uninstall, yet. We'll see.

I was always a fan of MK1 and 2.  And Trilogy.  They've not aged all that well and if you think the difficulty is a problem now, wait until you get to Goro or Shao Khan.  Absolutely miserable fights.

milstar

Quote from: repoman on 20 August, 2021, 08:53:41 PM
I was always a fan of MK1 and 2.  And Trilogy.  They've not aged all that well and if you think the difficulty is a problem now, wait until you get to Goro or Shao Khan.  Absolutely miserable fights.

I actually managed to download all three parts in the original version, in addition to MKAK. I realized the fights are slightly easy, but they suffer for having the limited number of replays you can try. Goro tell me about it. I spent at least one hour solely in MKAK on him, until I had him in the dirt. Surprisingly, Shang Tsung I offed in one fight. Never reached Shao Kahn, though. Kintaro always stops me.

Bioshock 2

The first time I played this. Given the brief stints in the Infinite Burial at Sea DLC, here it was great to return to Rapture in full. Objectivist philosophy replaced the marxist/commie one, but I liked how the game throws you in the between of the two factions in these games, leaving you making tough moral choices that pay up later. As for the game itself, Bioshock is not run of the mill, it doesn't offer a trick or two in the sleeve, but at least it pretty well emulates the first game, which is commendable. The only thing that bothers me is the control system on selecting weapons and plasmids, which often caused me to use plasmids and weapons I didn't really want. Infinite did it better when the selection was designed in circular view where the game pauses until you choose the right tool.

And why do the bloody hell the Bioshock games have to end in the death of the protagonist? As if the developers want to see the players cry?
Speaking of the ending, I found the neutral ending perhaps to be the fairest one, the one that fits the narrative. I figured the choices don't mean much if you angle for the good or bad one.

repoman

Aliens Fireteam Elite - I've never really enjoyed Aliens-related games but this one does a good job.  It's a three-player co-op thing and from an action/level-design point of view it's reasonably generic but the aliens themselves move like aliens and feel suitably dangerous.

I'm enjoying it a lot.

wedgeski

Quote from: repoman on 22 August, 2021, 07:31:43 PM
Aliens Fireteam Elite - I've never really enjoyed Aliens-related games but this one does a good job.  It's a three-player co-op thing and from an action/level-design point of view it's reasonably generic but the aliens themselves move like aliens and feel suitably dangerous.

I'm enjoying it a lot.
How are you playing this when it's not out until tomorrow (24th)..?

repoman

Preordered from ShopTo and it arrived on Saturday.

Spoke to some players online and oddly they'd ordered from other places (Simply Games, Games Collection) and had it delivered the same day as me.

wedgeski

Quote from: repoman on 23 August, 2021, 08:56:14 PM
Preordered from ShopTo and it arrived on Saturday.

Spoke to some players online and oddly they'd ordered from other places (Simply Games, Games Collection) and had it delivered the same day as me.
Ugh, I knew I should've preordered physical. :) Very happy to hear from you and other reviewers that the game is solid! Hoping to get some quality time in later tonight.

Dr Feeley Good

I should be on it when I get in tonight too... :D

wedgeski

Initial vibes seem fun! Hopefully more to come.

Anyone here playing on PC and want to add to friends list?

NB

NapalmKev

Spiderman: Miles Morales on my fancy pants PS5. The graphics and gameplay are topnotch but both are surpassed by the story.  It's a wonderfully crafted tale with great voice acting and visual set-pieces.  Highly recommended!

I also got free PS5 upgrades to both Doom Eternal and Resident Evil: Village so I've been replaying those with their fancy pants ray tracing and 60 fps which is nice.

You can never have too much Doom, to be quite honest.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"