Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Fantastic Four: Life Story #1, Mark Russell & Sean Izaakse. This, I guess, is a follow up to Chip Zdarsky and Mark Bagley's "Spider-Man: Life Story", which presented the life of Spidey as a single continuity from the 60s to the present as he aged (no Dredd-style rejuve here). It was extremely well done, so I can see why Marvel might want to try and repeat the success.

Here, Russell and Izaakse tie in the birth of the FF in the 60s to the cold war space race, which works well. The Thing is given a more realistic reaction to his predicament than is sometimes portrayed. It's solid stuff, but I expect Russell will start to introduce more subversive elements in later books, given his track record.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 31 May, 2021, 08:58:55 AM
Fantastic Four: Life Story #1, Mark Russell & Sean Izaakse.

Very much looking forward to this. Mark Russell is probably my favourite writer working in American comics at the moment. His work is consistantly thought and impress without ever compromising on an exciting tale with real human consequence as opposed to punching. Interesting to see it described as 'solid' though as you point out lots of time for it to develop.

CalHab

It's the most conventional Mark Russell comic I've read, but given the brief (make all FF storylines into a single continuous plot) that's perhaps inevitable? He can certainly write a good comic, but I expect it will introduce more elements in later books. Each issue covers a decade in continuity, so it'll get weirder very quickly.

Link Prime

A very, very decent haul for me, including the following:

TMNT: The Last Ronin issue 3; Only quibble here relates to the gulf of time between issues - otherwise it's a meaty turtle soup as per the previous two chapters. Eastman, Laird and Waltz continue to deliver.
BRZRKR issue 2; Keanu and Co. deliver a strong second issue, including an intriguing origin story for the immortal protagonist. Two more issues to go with this arc, and enough goodwill thus far to give them both a pre-order green light.
Grendel: Devils Odyssey issue 6; Another 'first contact' scenario for The Paladin and Sigma-Seven. The encounter with each planet and its inhabitants has remained fresh through the series - anything remains possible. Faultless.
Red Room Issue 1. I'll preface this with the key point; it's about internet snuff films. If that doesn't sound like your cuppa, best avoid. Otherwise you are in for a stomach churning treat. I'm only vaguely aware of cartoonist Ed Piskor - I know he hosts a popular YouTube show, and is generally well regarded, but (I believe ) this is the first time I've read anything written or drawn by him (I probably would have picked up his 'X-Men: Grand Design' series, but had already given up on Marvel a few years before it was released). Back to the topic on hand; this was the first 10/10 comic I have had the pleasure of reading in a very long time - grimy, disgusting and depraved, it evoked memories of reading 'dangerous' material in days gone by (some 2000AD content in the 80's when I was a young kid, and some Vertigo content in the 90's when I was a teen). Intriguing story, superb artwork and a huge first issue stand-alone story. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
I will paraphrase Piskor's cheeky comment in the editorial discussing his own comic at the back of the book; "It's been a long time since you had a new monthly comic to look forward to. I know".
It has, Eddie. Too fuckin long.

CalHab

That's very interesting sounding. I'll keep an eye out for that book, cheers!

I can highly recommend Ed Piskor's "Hip Hop Family Trees", even for those who only have a basic knowledge of the music and artists. His "WIZZYWIG" is also worth a look, a fictionalised history of early computer hacking culture.

CalHab

American Vampire:1976 #6 & #7. This series heads towards a conclusion, with the requisite payoffs and backstabbing. #7 is a series of related short stories, including a Tula Lotay illustrated one which looks like nothing else she's done (or at least that I've seen). This series is.....okay. It concludes with #9, I think, so I'll stick with it. It's all a bit underwhelming, though.

The Dreaming: Waking Hours #6 (which is well behind the current #10, due to a preorder problem at my local comic shop). The first five issues of this were a bit of a treat, as a single mum academic got caught up in some Dreaming/Shakespeare related shenanigans. The storyline moves on to, and it already has a dramatic change of pace and protagonist. G. Willow Wilson is going some interesting places with this, I think.

Colin YNWA

Finished my latest haul and its a very interesting and at time stunningly good read.

Quote from: CalHab on 31 May, 2021, 08:58:55 AM
Fantastic Four: Life Story #1, ....Here, Russell and Izaakse tie in the birth of the FF in the 60s to the cold war space race, which works well. The Thing is given a more realistic reaction to his predicament than is sometimes portrayed. It's solid stuff, but I expect Russell will start to introduce more subversive elements in later books, given his track record.

Yep - some interesting changes to what I know to be the early years of the FF - but who knows when that all changed? The use of Galactus is intereting.

We Only Find Them When They're Dead - 6 new arc and I'm enjoying this BUT at the same time its on warning as I find the art a bit jarring. I had to read this twice and I only got 1/2 way through 1st time as the art just entirely threw me off. Its so... sharp and the colours glaring. When I came back to it next night I managed to put that aside to get to the interesting ideas underneath. Just shouldn't be a struggle to do that.

Way of X 2 has similar problems - its just trying too hard and a story featuring Nightcrawler can be complex and layered BUT shouldn't feel like that. Or at least so much like that.

Strange Adventures 10 is very good but like Way of X is almost SCREAMING at you how clever its being. Leading you into the reveal at the end over 26 pages of leading you along - letting you know its taking you somewhere but also letting you know its being very very smart in how its building to get you there. That sounds like a good thing BUT the effort to do that is so apparent it loses sight of being a story and doesn't feel natural.

Quote from: CalHab on 29 May, 2021, 08:15:31 AM
The Immortal Hulk: Time of Monsters is a one-shot with two short stories. The first, by Alex Paknadel and Al Ewing, is a wonderful tale of a prehistoric Hulk. This is a bit of a masterclass in how to do a short. In a few pages a world is established with believable characters and depth. I'm not familiar with Paknadel, but I'm going to have to find some of his other work. This doesn't rely on any knowledge of the Immortal Hulk storyline, so would be worth dipping into. Think of it as Mezolith vs Hulk.

The second story is a solid but conventional bit of genre by David Vaughan and Kevin Nowlan. It's well crafted and enjoyable but pales a bit in comparison to the first story.

Yep again. Mind I LOVED the second story for the Nowlan art and it was pretty good too. Its interesting the first story in part reminded me of

The Goddamned - The Virgin Brides 5 in terms of tone and setting. Unashamed in its use of cruelity to tug at you. Good conclusion if brutal as expected. Interesting final pages suggestign there's more to come with an Old Testament Team-up building?

The last three could all get book of the Haul.

Time Before Time 1 see our own Rory McConville team up with Declan Shalvey to produce a wonderful opener. Character introduced, situation establish, engagement created, conflicit and drive forward smashed at us and then thrilling ending. So much in one issue and with art that looks like Paul Grist inked by Mike Mignola what's not to love.Winning first part.

I've just spent a silly amount of money treating myself on one of my great comic loves via a Jeff Smith - Tuki Kickstarter getting some LOVELY Bone treats in my pledge. I mention this not to brag (well just a bit) but as Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters 3 feels like a spiritual sibling of Jeff Smith's great work. Its everything that series was and just as beautiful. Genuinely all ages yet entirely uncompromising.

But in the end book of the haul has to go to Haha 5 once again a visual treat, an emotional powerhouse but most importantly like nothing I've read before. Apparently folks are buying a variant cover of issue 1 featuring D. Trump to speculate on... that things like this happen to a comic like this that just cries out to be read and loved for being astonishing makes me weep!

CalHab

Time Before Time sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Beta Ray Bill #1-3. A mini series by Daniel Warren Johnson (writer/artist). I wasn't familiar with Johnson. He's got an interesting style, full of energy and bold choices. His closest parallel would be James Stokoe, I think, but with a less overt Manga influence. In this series Bill is feeling lost, having had his hammer Stormbreaker broken in the current Thor series. He sets out on a journey to recover it, and his power. Johnson pulls out all the stops in the crowd and panoramic shots. The fight sequences are a blast as well. Well worth looking at. Issue 1 has an interview between Johnson and Walt Simonson, which I believe is also published on the Marvel website.

CalHab

I forgot to note that Beta Ray Bill is a five issue mini, I think.

CalHab

Batman: Urban Legends #1-3. DC seems to be putting out more anthology comics these days. This suits me because, as far as I'm concerned, the high water mark of Batman was the UK late 80s/early 90s monthly. Anyway, this book concentrates on minor Bat-family characters with varying degrees of success. The highlight is a Chip Zdarsky-written Red Hood story, which could easily carry its own title. The other stories are of variable quality. Probably one of the better Bat-books currently, if only for the relatively minor presence of Batman himself, who has a tendency to drag stories down.

Link Prime

Big horror fan, and of The Conjuring movies, so picked up the 1st issue of The Conjuring: The Lover there at the weekend.

Best thing about it was the fab retro cover by Art Droid Garry Brown.

Otherwise, a pretty weak offering in my view.
First half of the comic contained an uninspired set-up for the main arc, second half of the comic contained a pretty poor one-off 'Thargs Terror Tales' style story by Scott Snyder of all people. I know the guy can write terrific horror (such as the outstanding 'Severed' and 'Wytches'), so a real missed opportunity here.

I had already blindly pre-ordered issue 2 on ComicHub, but other than a satanic miracle, I won't be back for more after that.

CalHab

Batman: The Detective #1-3, Tom Taylor and Andy Kubert. Batman tracks a killer who is targeting people Batman has saved in the past. I think this is trying to do Batman as Bond, but it lacks the glamour and charm. I'm pretty sure the glass pyramid outside the Louvre wouldn't have been there when Bruce Wayne and Henri Ducard are supposed to have met. Still, it was nice to see Ducard again. He's one of the more entertaining of Batman's many teachers.

Dune: House Atreides #1-6. Why do I do this to myself? All excited about the prospect of finally seeing the new Dune film, I picked these up. I'd never read any of the Brian Herbert books, as friends have warned me off them. I should have listened. This sorely needs a good editor or, better yet, a complete rewrite.

Barrington Boots

Just got The Cimmerian: Iron Shadows in the Moon #3 and read all three together, having saved the other two through sheer feat if will. Enjoyed this, superior to the beautiful-yet-prolonged Frost Giants Daughter and the complete mess that was People of the Black Circle. I'm a fan of this series overall - the 'Conan uncensored' gimmick really is little more than license to draw in the odd pair of boobs here and there as they're not much more violent than other adaptations and the original tales are a bit coy anyway, but they're nice to read free of the baggage and continuity that seemed initially a good idea in the Dark Horse versions but quickly became tiresome and it's good reading only Howard's Conan and not anyone elses version. Rotating the artists does lead to the odd misstep and sometimes you think you'd like to have seen artist a tackle story b and so on, but the contrasting styles keep it feeling fresh. Art for the next series (Man-Eaters Of Zamboula) looks good and very different again, hoping this continues.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Mix haul this time and all the more interesting for it.

Lots of first issues and lots of issues with Marvel.

First up Gamma Flight 1 - which kinda covers both. This one spins off from Immortal Hulk andf it has some nice introductions to characters from there... but I'm not sure why it exists yet, its not actually told me what its about, whay will drive this as a tale. Still only issue one and four to go but a slow start out the blocks for this one.

Speaking of Immortal Hulk 47 is one of it muh issues. Hulk fights the Avengers and there so much chat, so much going on so may terrible things done but it just doesn't hang together. Then they are not fighting and rather the Hulk and co (including the aforementioned Gamma Flight who turn up... cos... cos... well I guess cos they have a five issue mini series starting) and horror the Huk is kissing Harpy Betty.. cos... oh you know what I'm not sure I care.... that was a mess.

Way of X 3 - so the X-Men have an island and laws and rules about making mutants and Si Spurrier gets Nightcrawler hungover (at a weird gala ball thing that just makes no sense) and has fun with the idea of making more mutants. This is probably a smart funny comic and one I want to like - I love Nightcrawler - but the whole set up is so ... something... I mean it could be very interesting... it could be very smart... it just doesnt make me care.

So that's 3 duds for 3 from Marvel but just to show I'm not dumping on them Black Hammer Visions 5 has a rare bum moment in the Black Hammer world. Firstly it looks stunning, just stunning the art by Leonardo Romero (who I've never heard of before) is stunning. The story... well its a bit rubbish. It tries to give Skulldigger a relationship like Bats has with Catwoman or DD has with Elektra - except it tries to do the whole thing in 20 odds pages from start to dramatic ending - a dramatic ending so full of dumb even if they had managed to make me care in the proceeding pages I won't by the end. Its just not great. But we will come back to great Black Hammer.

Some more successful starter then. Out of Body 1 by Pete Milligan and Inaki Miranda - both known in thee parts - is an interesting opener as a man is trapped in is paralysed body and people float in and out of his hosptial room giving us back story and context. Then as the first part ends it explodes into other realms hinted at throughout the story. Nice start.

6 Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton 1 aside from having one of the greatest titles ever sees ace team of Kyle Starks and Chris Schweizer launch another great comic as 6 sidekicks of a horrible TV star float around and a couple of them try to solve his apparent murder. brilliant.

Speaking of brilliant the normally brilliant Mark Russell continues to tease good ideas in Fantastic Four Life Story 2 it just feels weighed down by so much history that Russell does seem able to break those ideas free.

Speaking of breaking free Grendel - Devil's Odyssey 7 see Grendel Prime needing to do just that as he tries to stop The Ordeal, which is does in a way he didn't seem to want to do. It will be fascinating to see how this one wraps up next time.

Jonna and the Unpossible Monster 4 - well wow this is a breathless all ages fun. The Samnee's are producing a delight of a comic here.

Black Hammer - Reborn 1 the main Black Hammer story returns - if without Dean Ormston alas and it a brilliant stuff as Jeff Lemire brings up right to date and centres the story around Lucy Weber once the second Black Hammer and now a put upon working mother. Its quite fantastic and I can't wait to see how this develops.

But I think I'll give book of the haul to or own Rory McConville's (with Declan Shalvey and the wonderful Joe Palmer) Time Before Time 2 is a very 2000ad feeling time travel romp and the art by Palmer perfectly just the drama and action to the next level. Its not really finding the layer and smart interchanges that we see in those openning Marvel comics BUT what it remembers to be is a great compelling story that gets you engaged and fully invested in the hijinks.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 June, 2021, 09:45:28 PM

Way of X 3 - so the X-Men have an island and laws and rules about making mutants and Si Spurrier gets Nightcrawler hungover (at a weird gala ball thing that just makes no sense) and has fun with the idea of making more mutants. This is probably a smart funny comic and one I want to like - I love Nightcrawler - but the whole set up is so ... something... I mean it could be very interesting... it could be very smart... it just doesnt make me care.

I sometimes glance at the reviews of the current Hickman era X-Men comics and...and what's the opposite gif to the Arrested Development "I've made a huge mistake"?