Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Loki. MCU meets Doctor Who with an entertaining, but exposition heavy, first episode. Hiddlestone and Wilson have good chemistry and have the best lines. Hopefully Wunmi Mosaku features more in the later episodes, she was great in Lovecraft Country.

Funt Solo

Black Summer - this started off really strongly, I thought, with some fascinating structural choices in terms of the storytelling. There's an odd leap mid-season, though, where the experience level and cohesiveness of the protagonists seems to go up an order of magnitude - I had to go and check Wikipedia to see if I'd somehow missed an episode - or even an entire season.

Imperfect, but a shambling, moaning, brain-munching gem of the zombie apocalypse genre.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

I also started watching Loki but it still feels too much talking and not enough of actually something happening.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

I ducked out of the entire MCU after Endgame. I've had my fill, its fine, and for the most part have been dragging myself through the last half dozen movies just to reach that point. Didn't even bother with either of the Ant-Man movies. I tried to give Wandavision the benefit of the doubt, it at least seemed to be trying to come at this whole tired genre from a somewhat fresh angle but only made it through three episodes before the whole show shat the bed and went back to Disney witty-farcicalness. Loki will be another miss.

I'm probably just getting old and jaded but the constant omnipresence of these properties in our collective daily lives for what is now the larger portion of my life has really soured me to the MCU and just Disney in general.

pictsy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 22 June, 2021, 09:43:59 AM
I ducked out of the entire MCU after Endgame. I've had my fill, its fine, and for the most part have been dragging myself through the last half dozen movies just to reach that point. Didn't even bother with either of the Ant-Man movies. I tried to give Wandavision the benefit of the doubt, it at least seemed to be trying to come at this whole tired genre from a somewhat fresh angle but only made it through three episodes before the whole show shat the bed and went back to Disney witty-farcicalness. Loki will be another miss.

I'm probably just getting old and jaded but the constant omnipresence of these properties in our collective daily lives for what is now the larger portion of my life has really soured me to the MCU and just Disney in general.

I have similar sentiments and it was pretty much Endgame that did for me as well.  I might watch a movie here or there maybe, but at this point it's exhausting and they are just pumping out so much more of it now.  Thankfully there is stuff I know I like that I can rewatch.

Like SG1.  My rewatch of that is going good.  I'm into season 4 and thoroughly enjoying it.  I like it's goofy approach.

Proudhuff

Quote from: pictsy on 22 June, 2021, 08:31:12 PM

I have similar sentiments and it was pretty much Endgame that did for me as well.  I might watch a movie here or there maybe, but at this point it's exhausting and they are just pumping out so much more of it now.  Thankfully there is stuff I know I like that I can rewatch.

Similar for me, and that goes for Star Wars too.
Currently happy to see True Detective series 3 now available free, series back on form after a disappointing 2nd series.
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

I ducked out of the entire MCU after Endgame.

We all did, didn't we?

Endgame itself was nowhere near as good as Infinity War, but a nice exit point nevertheless.

I peruse the geek news sites occasionally and see the likes of Loki advertised.
A perfect example of an MCU character that had a meaningful and complete arc, shocking death, then cheap resurrection for a Disney Plus series.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 June, 2021, 10:31:38 AM
Currently happy to see True Detective series 3 now available free, series back on form after a disappointing 2nd series.

A great return to form with excellent lead performances.
One of my absolute favorite lines of dialogue too; "You're looking good, Purple. Who's the old man with ya?"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 June, 2021, 12:26:51 PM
A perfect example of an MCU character that had a meaningful and complete arc, shocking death, then cheap resurrection for a Disney Plus series.

If you'd been watching it, you'd know he hasn't been resurrected.

Also, this is Marvel — not staying dead is perfectly in keeping with the comics!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 June, 2021, 01:03:24 PM

Also, this is Marvel — not staying dead is perfectly in keeping with the comics!

Bang on - an alternate timeline version is even cheaper than a cheap resurrection!

Loki's story was over the moment he had a change of heart and came back to rescue the Asgardian civilians at the end of Ragnarok.
He could have died in battle seconds later, and it wouldn't have mattered. The few scenes he was in after that moment were just onion gravy.

Not trying to disparage post-Endgame enjoyment of the MCU for those still into it, just that it's past it's sell-by date for me personally, even if I had any interest in any of the forthcoming tie-ins.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 June, 2021, 07:27:43 PM
Black Summer - this started off really strongly, I thought, with some fascinating structural choices in terms of the storytelling. There's an odd leap mid-season, though, where the experience level and cohesiveness of the protagonists seems to go up an order of magnitude - I had to go and check Wikipedia to see if I'd somehow missed an episode - or even an entire season.

Imperfect, but a shambling, moaning, brain-munching gem of the zombie apocalypse genre.

So I'm 2 episodes into Season 2 and wondering why the are bothering with non-linear story telling as so far it hasn't shed any new lights on events we've previously seen.

But more worryingly, I'm wondering if they are actually going to give the characters character. So far the only way to tell them apart is the clothes and the guns. They don't have personalities. At any given moment any of them could say murder a child or shag an aardvark and I have not a clue if that's in character for them.

But in terms of capturing the kinetic terror of a fast Zombie Apocolypse where you can't trust anyone, it's doing well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

and Bosch season 7 is now up and running!
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 June, 2021, 09:37:59 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 June, 2021, 07:27:43 PM

So I'm 2 episodes into Season 2 and wondering why the are bothering with non-linear story telling as so far it hasn't shed any new lights on events we've previously seen.

But more worryingly, I'm wondering if they are actually going to give the characters character. So far the only way to tell them apart is the clothes and the guns. They don't have personalities. At any given moment any of them could say murder a child or shag an aardvark and I have not a clue if that's in character for them.

But in terms of capturing the kinetic terror of a fast Zombie Apocolypse where you can't trust anyone, it's doing well.

I don't disagree with your summation, but playing Devil's Advocate - I wonder if the lack of characterization beats plays well into the feeling of what it would be like to be embroiled in a situation where your best hope is a complete stranger, whose motivations and character are as alien to you as the threat you're suddenly faced with. Having said that, it's a reasoning that works well for season #1 - not so much for a second season, where the established characters should know each other.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

So part of my problem with Black Summer is yhat I can remember fuck all about S1. Only 3 episodes in, when she takes her hat off, did I think "Oh, it's the lass that was looking for her daughter!"

That could be me (I am old and my knees are weak) or that the characters barely get anything, e.g. dialogue,  to distinguish them as all they seem to do is run away, run away!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Woolly

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 June, 2021, 01:03:24 PM

Also, this is Marvel — not staying dead is perfectly in keeping with the comics!

S'right. I totally get the Marvel burn-out, but the TV stuff has so far been brilliant IMO. There's loads I'd like to discuss about Loki, but it would all be too spoilery!

Seriously though, it's all very much worth a watch  :)

The Legendary Shark

Hap and Leonard season two - best thing I've watched in ages. Despite it's dark storyline it's just full of light and warmth. Wonderful stuff.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]