Main Menu

D.I.C.E. 2013

Started by Link Prime, 10 May, 2013, 04:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

I had a pretty great time at my first 'real' convention last year, and am looking forward to this year's just as much (28th & 29th Sept).

Several really cool guests already announced (Greg Capullo, Paul Cornell, PJ Holden, Will Sliney, Becky Cloonan & Doug Braithwaite), and have just heard that Jock will be attending too.
Can't wait to get a Dredd sketch from him!

https://www.facebook.com/dublincomicexpo

Link Prime

Hey Irish peeps,

Forgot to mention last time that Esad Ribic & Lee Garbett are scheduled too.

And I've just received an email update from Big Bang Comics with some further announcements;

John McCrea
Jamie McKelvie
Si Spurrier
Kieron Gillen

...and our own Michael Molcher (I'll be attempting to plant that *choke* 'Future Shock' submission in his jacket pocket after he's had a skinful of Guinness!)

maryanddavid

Bit far away for me to commit to going yet, but Id like to, The fact that its in Dundrum could make the trip an easy sell to Mary :P . Do you have a contact for the organisers Link?

Link Prime

Yeah, my missus will literally go there for any reason.

Big Bang Comics owner & decent oul skin John Hendrick is the event organiser, best way to contact him (or his reliable sidekick Bruno) is via their general email address; info@thebigbang.ie

You could probably Tweet him too (@JohnHendrick13), but I couldn't tell you much more cause Twitter is the Devils invention and I don't use it!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

It's a fantastic line up, so I should be able to get a few more sketches this year. I'll probably only be going on the Saturday, but hopefully I'll see some of ye there.

Link Prime

Some very exciting news just in today...comic writing legend Scott Snyder has just been announced for DICE!!!!

Any of the 4 boarders who read my posts will be aware that I'm a huge fan of his work (particularly Severed and his initial run on Detective Comics), so I am really excited about this.

Sean Murphy, artist on his forthcoming Vertigo comic 'The Wake' is also appearing, so I better get a copy or two of it next week!

Link Prime

Was worried that our own Mike Carroll wouldn't be appearing this year.
Have just received some news that's become a Quantum of Solace...He's attending!

Link Prime

Just heard the bad news that Jock wont be attending due to work commitments.
Bummer!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Extremely disappoint to hear that that Jock will not be attending. I was really looking forward to meeting him.

pauljholden

COMMISSIONS!

I'll be doing head shots at DICE for €15 (inked maybe spot colour)

Full figure shots for €50.

I have done two already BEFORE DICE, and I'm keen to do more before it - so if you're coming and you want one, now's a good time to ask (it also means you probably get a more finished piece as I'm unsure what conditions will be like at the show for drawing!)

-pj

Link Prime

One week away; any other boarders confirmed to attend?
I'm only going to make Saturday, but as far as I know all attending creators will be available on both Saturday & Sunday.

Link Prime

So; another very enjoyable convention for me, despite the fact I could only make it over on Saturday (therefore missing the 2000AD Q&A panel on Sunday- Gruddammit).

Only boarder I met up with (besides creative of course) was a Mr. Gavin Leahy Esq. (formally of Gavin Leahy Block, MC1- currently residing in the wilderlands of Tipperary).

Using my weasily detective (& eavesdropping) skills I did find out about some intriguing upcoming 2000AD related projects, the only one (I think) I'm allowed to mention is an Anderson series from IDW in 2014.

The guests of honour at the con were of course the current Batman creative team of Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo, and I did queue up like a good little sheeple for 2 hours to get those all important signatures & snaps

As an aside- Si Spurrier's table was directly facing the queue for Snyder, and more than once in that slow moving shuffle did I glance over and notice the murderous Talented Mr. Ripley look in his eye!
Only joking of course (ulp!)

Here's a pic of me with the (genuinely) very nice Mr. Greg Capullo (Capullo obviously felt the need to flex his two-bit biceps standing beside such an imposing specimen of manliness).

Link Prime

Hmm... that Capullo pic came out shit. Will try to re-size.

Anyway, here's some of my swag;

First up- an awesome Judge Joyce commission by our own PJ Holden.

Link Prime

Jazzy John McCrea was great craic for a chat.
He seemed the natural choice to turn a 'Blank Variant' Walking Dead comic into a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.
It is one of the coolest things I own.

Link Prime

McCrea had a folder full of original art for sale, including loads of pages from Mars Attacks Judge Dredd.

I couldn't resist buying one. This is a great page; featuring Anderson, MC1 in ruins and Dredd in a really cool pose.
Minor spoilers, as its from issue 3.