Main Menu

Good Drinkin'

Started by Link Prime, 10 October, 2013, 05:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Dunno if there's been a thread on the topic before, but I haven't seen one, so here goes:

Drinkin- I'm pretty sure the majority of us enjoy it.
You really can't beat a good pint.

This is the kind of thread that could veer off-topic quite easily, so lets keep it to beers / ales / stouts; your top three pints, and locations you've had the best one in;

I'll kick it off...

Porterhouse Red- this ale is unbelievably tasty & delicious. I literally crave the stuff. There are a few Porterhouses around Dublin (and one in New York & London too I think), but the best pint of it I've had is in the original Porterhouse in Bray Co. Wicklow.
Great place for a summer drink, especially with a bit of live music outside.

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/bars-bray-bray.php

Guinness- Ye can't beat a decent pint of the Black Stuff! In my opinion (and pretty much the majority of Dubliners too) the best pint can be found in Mulligans. Don't visit Dublin without stopping by for one- its smoother than a glass of milk.

http://www.mulligans.ie/

Galway Hooker- calm down there Mods, I'm talkin bout the newest & tastiest ale on the block. Only tried this for the first time in Galway in early 2013, and have since seen it on tap in a few other bars.
Best place to try it is The Bier Haus in Galway (a drinkers utopia).

https://www.facebook.com/bierhausgalway

Looking forward to seeing some recommendations from the UK, as I'd visit a couple times a year.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 October, 2013, 05:15:43 PM
lets keep it to beers / ales / stouts; your top three pints

No cider? pppffff

Link Prime

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 10 October, 2013, 05:19:51 PM

No cider? pppffff

Didn't figure there were many tramps / teenagers / teenage tramps on the forum, but sure hey- why not?

*NB- the universal answer is a Bulmers pint bottle anyway.  ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Zarjazzer

http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/beers
Marmoset is lovely ss is the guerilla.only seen it at the cask inpimlico very expensive pub but nice variety of ales&beers.

Guiness is lovely but I always liked murphys as well.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 10 October, 2013, 05:36:28 PM
http://www.bluemonkeybrewery.com/beers
Marmoset is lovely ss is the guerilla.only seen it at the cask inpimlico very expensive pub but nice variety of ales&beers.

The brewery is just up the road from me — their beers turn up on draft at my local every couple of weeks and have pretty much all been worth drinking.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Zarjazzer

I've only tried a couple JIm but lucky you ! Nice pubs in london tahn.imho

The cask pimlico

The GAllery pimlico

Ye olde cheshire cheese fleet street

Waxy o'connors nr leicester sq is like a giant hobbit hole with beamish

The tipperary irish pub in fleet street

The cockspur nr ludgate

The castle harrow on the hill

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

In my opinion (and pretty much the majority of Dubliners too) the best pint can be found in Mulligans.

Indisputable, I would say.  Jaysus even looking at the pics on that website made my eyes water with longing.  Many's the happy evening before I became enchildered.

Zarjazzer

Gah it's the Cockpit in Ludgate/Blackfriars not spur obviously brain addles drinskiesierbrjbgf;jdsd

Aonghus

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 October, 2013, 05:27:29 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 10 October, 2013, 05:19:51 PM

No cider? pppffff

Didn't figure there were many tramps / teenagers / teenage tramps on the forum, but sure hey- why not?

*NB- the universal answer is a Bulmers pint bottle anyway.  ;)

Tut tut Link, I'd've thought you knew better! Bulmers is utter gutrot, disguised with sweeteners and too many bubbles. You can't beat real cider though, the nearly flat kind strange English men brew in near-Wiccan rituals. Even a pint of Weston's or Breton cider can't be beat.

As a coeliac my choice of beer is limited, but the Hambleton Gluten Free Ale and Against The Grain's lager are things of beauty and yummies.

maryanddavid

Your not alone CFM, another cider man here, although I have been know to, on rare occasion drink a pint of stout, and yes its Bulmer's pint bottle for me, (Magners to you UKers).

There isn't much of a choice in the cider market here except for the hobo ciders. Johnny Jump Up was a great Cider from Galway I think, but since the kids came along, I like most here be in the pub rarely and I havn't seen that in an age.

Sideshow Bob

I'm not much of a 'beer connoisseur' as I don't particularly like beer as such.....Too many years trying to hold down Tennants Special in my youth, so fairly early on ( in my drinking life ) I switched to Lager.....
I know most folks will say 'bah, etc...full of chemicals etc'....but each to his own....

I prefer a nice pint of Stella, Tennants or some of the other brands.....or if abroad, Peroni, Amstel or Sol but after about 4 pints it really doesn't much matter......Although this past year or so,  my pint of choice has actually been Strongbow Cider..........or a bottle of Magners......Not 'real' cider I suppose,  but very enjoyable none the less...
( And I can always delude myself that I'm getting one of ( my 5 a Day ) in the form of Apples..... :D )..

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 October, 2013, 06:43:50 PM
In my opinion (and pretty much the majority of Dubliners too) the best pint can be found in Mulligans.

Indisputable, I would say.  Jaysus even looking at the pics on that website made my eyes water with longing.  Many's the happy evening before I became enchildered.

Next time I'm there I'll have an extra one (or two) just for you Tordel.
Probably won't be a problem for my children-less hangover the next day!
(Which is either a ' :D' or ' :'(' depending on your opinion of a 35 year old man in a 9 year relationship with still no sign of a Stork).

And yes Aonghus, CFM, you've discovered my alcohol-soaked Achilles Heel; I rarely drink cider, and on the odd occassion I do (summer BBQ with no other options for example) it's invariably only that mass-marketed alco-pop that's available. Even if it suited my palate, as David says, there ain't many options locally.

Bluemonkey brewery looks interesting Zarjazzer, Jim, cheers.

Ancient Otter

Any of you cider fans drink the stuff they make in Spain, in Asturias? Never drank a cider as good as it in Ireland.

Aonghus

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 10 October, 2013, 09:56:22 PM
Any of you cider fans drink the stuff they make in Spain, in Asturias? Never drank a cider as good as it in Ireland.

Sadly not, but I'll keep an eye out! And Bob, you're right about strongbow; one of the nicest pints I had was strongbow on two in rural Scotland.