Main Menu

SPACEWARP - New Venture from Pat Mills

Started by Bolt-01, 05 April, 2019, 08:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 March, 2021, 03:41:57 PM
The biggest hurdle was the shared universe conceit, which I don't think I'm being terribly controversial in saying is getting a bit overdone at the moment, but Pat pulls it off.

That is one of the things that did not work for me. I am not a fan off these shared universes where everything a publisher is published is in a this self-contained universe.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

GordonR

Quote from: judgeurko on 18 March, 2021, 04:03:17 PM
Will we get a second issue?

I'll be mildly surprised if there's a #2, and fucking astonished if there's a #3.

IndigoPrime

To be fair, he's a bit busy right now, slagging people off on Twitter. (Abnett, I'm assuming, who he says "has previous". And griping about a certain Satanus story.)

Funt Solo

Pat's complaining about someone ripping off his story "The Return of Rico". That would be this story here, with the original and very precious dialogue by a Mr. P. Mills*:

*Not a "hungry hack" borrowing content from hit songs. Or anything like that. No, sir! All original material here, Sam. Yup.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

That's always been the way. Similarly, he's furious when editors rewrite his scripts, yet he rewrote other writers when he was an editor. He even infers on Twitter that Dredd is his strip, albeit one he let go and so he's OK with other writers penning it (unlike anything else he came up with).

I have some sympathy for Mills from a creator standpoint for those strips very closely associated with him. Even with him deciding he's done with 2000 AD, I'm not sure I want to see anyone else tackling Sláine or ABC Warriors (although Moore's one-off was nice) or Savage. But the ongoing slagging off of other writers and the frequent borderline slander that he partakes in really doesn't do him any favours (although seems to go down well with a certain contingent).

It'll also be interesting when I get to his stuff in the big Hachette read-through I'm doing. I hope I still enjoy his early work and that I'll find something new to enjoy when reading some of the other stuff collected. But right now, I'm glad that Greysuit is some way off, I'm not thrilled about trudging through middle-era Sláine, and I really wish Finn hadn't been added to the extension.

rogue69

QuotePat's complaining about someone ripping off his story "The Return of Rico". That would be this story here, with the original and very precious dialogue by a Mr. P. Mills*:

When you do it it's ripping him off, when he does it it's a homage

Link Prime

I enjoyed the 1st issue well enough to warrant picking up more if it's printed.
Just serendipity that I get to support a creator whose work I admire.

Not on Twitter, and not sure it's too relevant to the discussion either. Not for me anyway.

If I was to consider every comics creator's social media conduct when deciding to purchase their work the oul reading pile would be a lot lighter.

Colin YNWA

Interesting - Spacewarp has teamed up with Shift (such a great comic check it out) to produce a newstand edition.

https://theshift.store/collections/shift-comic-anthology-issues-1-5/products/shift-presents-two-pack

Its available on it own and as a two pack with Brawler (linked above). No idea about how and why but maybe it suggests the distribution model of Shift have placed it in more hands and Uncle Pat is pushing hard to get his comic out via those channels.

CalHab

Newstand distribution would help deal with the central problem with Spacewarp- Mills says that its being produced for the mainstream as they are neglected by publishers in favour of fans, but it is inaccessible and invisible to all but a tiny hardcore. Personally, I don't think the content is well tailored to a general audience, but that's a seperate point.

Colin YNWA

Yeah that always seemed like a gap in the grand scheme and Shift does seem to have a presense on the high street (and in comic shops). The question is of course whether getting it out there translates to getting it in folks hands. The £4.99 price point feels much closer to what's needed so good luck to the folks involved.

if this does help maybe it will move the possiblity of an issue 2 closer to reality - though I've still not heard anything about that yet.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 June, 2021, 06:46:47 AM
Interesting - Spacewarp has teamed up with Shift (such a great comic check it out) to produce a newstand edition.

https://theshift.store/collections/shift-comic-anthology-issues-1-5/products/shift-presents-two-pack

So Major Rakhana has a modest bra cup size, eh?

judgeurko

The Monarch

But guys someone DID rip Pat Mills off with Return of Rico

now what was this shameless copycats name?

oh.....ohhhhhhhh

Link Prime

Quote from: judgeurko on 15 June, 2021, 08:17:56 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 14 June, 2021, 11:33:19 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 June, 2021, 06:46:47 AM

So Major Rakhana has a modest bra cup size, eh?
what?

Try reading her name in an Australian accent.

I dunno lads, I may have to completely re-evaluate everything I thought I knew about the Bazooka Jules comic too.