Main Menu

There's never been a *better time to release a second 'subscription only' weekly

Started by matty_ae, 11 April, 2020, 10:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I know it takes 6 months of development normally
But with the success of the Action 2020 Special, I think the subscription market could sustain a second weekly for the next 6 months.
Just extend all the stories in the Special.
Maybe even do a kickstarter-esque commitment in advance to the first 1000 subscribers.

* in the last 10 years

IndigoPrime

Subscriptions are only a smallish percentage of overall sales for most comics and magazines. There are exceptions, such as The Phoenix. But launching a new title right now would be... well, I'm not sure 'brave' is entirely the best word for it. It would be a huge risk, to say the least.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 April, 2020, 11:46:57 AM
Subscriptions are only a smallish percentage of overall sales for most comics and magazines. There are exceptions, such as The Phoenix. But launching a new title right now would be... well, I'm not sure 'brave' is entirely the best word for it. It would be a huge risk, to say the least.

I'm thinking about al we could say is "There's never been a better time when releasing a subscription only title has been preferable to a newstand title, neither of which is a good idea."

GordonR

In actual reality:

"With no-one knowing what the retail market will be like when things start to go back to a semblance of normal, and editorial staff currently working flat-out from home just to keep the weekly prog happening, there' s never been a worse time to even think about doing a second weekly title of anything."

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

I assume I'm preaching to the converted on here, but still:

- Lots of bargains on the 2000 AD Shop's sale page!
- Plus the savings of the money can also be made by getting a subscription!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Swerty

matty_ae

Just from a retail point of view American comics have had a least a 3 week gap in supply
And the Action 2020 Special + reprint just sold for £51

I'd probably be happy subscribing to weekly PDFs of 1976 Action.

So I think whilst there's a lot of bad news out there, comics have always sold in higher numbers in a depression/downturn.

I like the Lockdown tapes - be even happy to buy PDFs of say Al Ewing talking you through the Dredd's that he best enjoyed.

Art

With so many fans and artists stuck inside now seems like it would be a really excellent time for starting a webzine or comic.

IndigoPrime

Who in their right mind bought a five quid special for £51?! That's just mad.

As for digital subs of old stuff, you're still talking resources for repro and set-up, for a niche publication, and a niche format (as in, digital).

Quotecomics have always sold in higher numbers in a depression/downturn.
This is no normal downturn. Production is on a knife edge. Most stores that carry the print version (which accounts for most sales, unless 2000 AD very much bucks the trend) are closed. The best thing people can do right now is sub if they don't already, and spread the word.

CalHab

Has Best of 2000AD been shelved? I don't envy Rebellion, their publishing schedule has been put into disarray. The fact they're managing to get the Prog, Meg and specials out is very impressive.

broodblik

No it has not been shelved. The release schedule has changed fro the Best of as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: CalHab on 13 April, 2020, 10:52:50 AM
Has Best of 2000AD been shelved? I don't envy Rebellion, their publishing schedule has been put into disarray. The fact they're managing to get the Prog, Meg and specials out is very impressive.

Read the following post: https://downthetubes.net/?p=116464

A quote out of the post: "Due to the closure of Diamond's distribution network, we have taken the difficult decision to postpone the publication of Best of 2000 AD #1, which was due to go on sale on 29th April. This title is postponed until further notice.:

Rately

Saw  the retailers copy of Best Of 2000AD in the Belfast branch of Forbidden Planet. Lovely comic, and a shame it is postponed, but better we are all back to some semblance of life and can pick it up in the shops!

IndigoPrime

Given that BO2K was specifically aimed at breaking through in the US newsstands, pausing that makes sense. Horrible timing for Rebellion, but hopefully when this is all over the comic will find a space and an audience.