Main Menu

ICYMI: The Completely Unofficial 2000AD Sketch Comp #1: Postcards From Nu Earth

Started by Jim_Campbell, 01 February, 2021, 08:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

(Just realised that I posted this to the Creative Common section, which doesn't get as much attention as the General section, where the old art comps were posted, so apologies for the duplicate post.)

So... it's the first forum Sketch Competition. We may end up tweaking the format/rules to make it work better but, for now, here's how it works:

The theme for this one is: Postcards from Nu Earth.

We frequently talk about what a rich and fertile environment for the imagination Nu Earth is, so give us a snapshot. Imagine you're a war artist, or a photographer, or a random bystander, or a participant, and give us an image of the future war hellscape that is Nu Earth.

The only wrinkle is: no Rogue Trooper. He can't be in it. Anything else. Chem-mists over the biowire, aliens haggling in the Gasbah, meds at work on the front line, Norts digging latrine pits... whatever! Something from Nu Earth that doesn't have Rogue in it.

It doesn't have to be something we've specifically seen in the strips, as long as it feels like it belongs on (or above, or underneath) Nu Earth.

DON'T POST ENTRIES TO THIS THREAD!

You have a week to think it over and get sketching if the inspiration takes you. There'll be a new thread along on Saturday (6th Feb) for entries. That thread will be open for one week only.

You can submit as many sketches as you like to the entries thread, but you'll have to nominate one (of your own!) to go forward to the voting thread.

This is a sketch competition, so you can use whatever medium takes your fancy — digital, traditional, mashed potato sculpture,* but please don't spend more than 45 minutes on any individual entry.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good — spontaneity is what we're after here. No one's standing over you with a stopwatch, but please try not to run over. Similarly, we want as many entries as possible — if you can only find fifteen minutes, don't let that stop you. If all you've got time for is something in biro on a Post-It, great! Get it up on the thread!

When we get to submitting entries, if you have any problems at all getting your image onto the forum (especially since there's a size limit on attachments to forum posts) then send me a PM via the forum, and I'll give you my email address so you can send me the image and I'll host it on my Imgur account and post the entry on your behalf.

Get scribbling, thrill-fans! If you have any questions, post 'em below, or PM me.

*I think I'm going to draw the line at straight photo-manipulation, for now, at least. That seems a little contrary to the idea of a sketch comp, but it's something we can revisit if people think that's too restrictive.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.