Main Menu

Small Press Suggestions

Started by Barrington Boots, 12 April, 2021, 09:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Princess Dangerous written by Alan Grant and his Granddaughter Abby Gray illustrated by Shalla Gray (Allan's daughter and Abby's mother) from Curlytale books
Life around Castle Humungous is boring for Princess Pistachio and her pesky siblings are always getting in her way – the only solution: put on her trusty tartan scarf, grab her disgruntled cat and fight bad guys! However, when her baby brother is captured by the evil King Villy, it falls to her to rescue Baby Cashew and save the Kingdom of Yotupia (enlisting the help of her sister Pieface first, of course)!

This is a nice little book aimed to children aged 9-12 years old simple story but engaging my niece sat and read it in one sitting and enjoyed it all the way through

Karl Stephan

Check this out. The earlier comics are available on the same campaign:

It's another comic about those teenage lager-guzzling Knights Templar stomping a path of righteous salvation through their backwater English town, cleansing it of its many social evils to avoid an impending biblical apocalypse. Watch gangsters, pimps, football hooligans and other deserving low-lives and weirdos getting savagely trampled under size 16 Doc Martens in this new 74 page collection of self-contained Mary Boys stories drawn in a style influenced by the likes of Jack Davis, Will Eisner and Wally Wood and written with an uncompromising and utterly irreverent punk attitude that made the first two Mary Boys comics (available to buy on this campaign) such a huge hit with readers.

Sound good? Back it here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mary-boys-beefheads--2#/

Daveycandlish

PARAGON #29 goes all Doug McClure when Spencer Nero's up against dinosaurs and a zeppelin full of Nazis!

Back the Kickstarter http://kck.st/3Fo4Lwn and get some brilliant comics (or even a T-shirt!)

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

PARAGON #29 Kickstarter ends this weekend. It's got Doug McClure style adventures with zeppelins, Nazis and dinosaurs. And masked monkeys. And loads more.
48 pages of comic anthology could be yours for a fiver (that includes P&P). You could add the two previous issues and get all three for a tenner.

http://kck.st/3Fo4Lwn

It's a damned sight more exciting than the bisexual smooching that's got DC comic readers all a-quiver!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Finally sorted my phone in time to back Paragon. Woop!

SBT

Daveycandlish

Cheers SBT!
Less than 48 hours in the Kickstarter to go people - support your local small press!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 18 June, 2021, 11:15:42 AM
I've just read The Seven Sagas of Silverbeard issue 1 and really enjoyed it - if you like Conan, or gorillas, or homages to classic comics and would like to see all of these things in one comic then I thoroughly recommend this.

http://catfoodcomics.com/

I'll check out Switchblade Stories next, cheers Colin!

Well this post turned me onto a Kickstarter for Catfood Comics, the tier I got including 'The Seven Sagas of Silverbeard' and read it this morning - just BRILLIANT - absolutely amazing fun and highest recommendation from me.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 October, 2021, 11:18:59 AM
Well this post turned me onto a Kickstarter for Catfood Comics, the tier I got including 'The Seven Sagas of Silverbeard' and read it this morning - just BRILLIANT - absolutely amazing fun and highest recommendation from me.

Yay!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Ohhh Battle Badgers was a bit frustrating. I mean its a glorious product and the first half is great fun. The shame is it rushes along all too quickly to crank up the stakes and then so much is slammed into the second half it looses some of the charm it oozes in the first half. With this happening, then that, then the other.

Still would love to see more of this if it settles down.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Paragon #29 has arrived, and looks to be a huge bundle of fun. Many thanks to all involved!

SBT

Daveycandlish

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 10 November, 2021, 07:23:44 PM
Paragon #29 has arrived, and looks to be a huge bundle of fun. Many thanks to all involved!

SBT

Cheers SBT! Glad to see they are hitting doormats safely. 😀
Expect a Kickstarter for the Christmas annual VERY soon!

Barrington Boots

Seconded about Paragon 29 and cool news about a potential annual!

On Battle Badgers - I kinda agree with you Colin about the second half being a bit rushed (this is more evident in the collected volume than it was on the individual issues) but I think it's still got a lot of charm. That said I could have read more 'wandering' adventures in the style of the first couple of issues over and over.

Barrington Boots

And while I'm here, here's another small press KS I'm backing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/puno-comic/pilcuyo

Altiplano is one of the series Bolt recommended to me. It's unlike anything else I've read and if you think 'Peruvian Cyberpunk' sounds cool, I'd urge you to give it a look. This KS is for the last book in the trilogy but you can get the whole set here.

Daveycandlish

I didn't get to Thought Bubble so don't know what I've missed out on.
Anyone pick up any thing they'd heartily recommend?
Show me pics and links to where I can buy!