Main Menu

Encyclopedia Errata

Started by Funt Solo, 15 May, 2021, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I think it's a good resource, but has a crippled narrative because it's only allowed to say that everything was great all the time, even during the period when everyone agrees most of the stories were not great all the time.

Empire magazine is allowed to say when a movie doesn't quite work and give it one star. This is more like Disney reviewing Disney - it's all Mickey-tastic.

"Uh, everything under control, situation normal ... everything's perfectly alright now, we're fine - we're all fine here now, thank-you."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 September, 2021, 06:01:54 AM
I think it's a good resource, but has a crippled narrative because it's only allowed to say that everything was great all the time, even during the period when everyone agrees most of the stories were not great all the time.

Empire magazine is allowed to say when a movie doesn't quite work and give it one star. This is more like Disney reviewing Disney - it's all Mickey-tastic.

"Uh, everything under control, situation normal ... everything's perfectly alright now, we're fine - we're all fine here now, thank-you."

Funnily enough, the nineties version would belittle some classic tales from the past...

CalHab

Quote from: broodblik on 16 September, 2021, 04:53:20 AM
The Encyclopedia still feels like it is almost in a first draft rather than ready to be published. The inherit problem with an Encyclopedia for comics is at the day of publication it is already out of sync.

If only there was some means of publishing information that could be accessible to huge numbers of people and edited on a live basis.

The Monarch

I will never ever get over 1992 tharg saying fiends from the eastern front was shite. You were printing mark millar robohunter in the same prog!!!!

sheridan

Quote from: The Monarch on 16 September, 2021, 11:54:38 AM
I will never ever get over 1992 tharg saying fiends from the eastern front was shite. You were printing mark millar robohunter in the same prog!!!!

Thing it was nineties Tharg doing similar to Meltdown Man for me...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Monarch on 16 September, 2021, 11:54:38 AM
Having recently re-read and disliked a lot of 'classic' Robo-Hunter in the Hachette books (the strip is far more sexist and xenophobic than I recalled—of its time and then some), I shudder to think how bad Millar's run would read today, with an added dollop of full-on homophobia, even worse sexism, and broadly terrible, humourless, macho, dumb writing elsewhere.