Main Menu

John Smith or Emma Beeby - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 June, 2021, 06:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

The second week is important for Team Classic, they only got their first point with the last tie of the first, another week like that and believe it or not Team Current will be just one tie away from an other all victory already. So Team Current need to build on that first victory quickly.

This tie exposes one of Tharg's great shames, something he is trying to get right now BUT Emma Beeby is the first female Droid in this tourney and one of only 2 overall. Tharg needs to do better and is trying. Its cruel then that she is drawn against one of Tharg's most missed sons.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

John Smith - more info

OR

Emma Beeby - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Thursday 1st July

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

I'm a huge fan of John's work and I'm sorry to say Emma's work doesn't do much for me.

John Smith 5, Emma Beeby 0.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

IndigoPrime

A really harsh tie for Beeby. I've liked her work enough so far, but Smith is the reason I stuck with the Prog and I still like the majority of his output. His Dredd was a bit duff, mind, so Beeby wins out there.

Smith 4 // Beeby 1

Link Prime

A tough draw for anyone against Smithy.

Smith 5 / Beeby 0

Tomwe

milstar

First female droid is the only thing remarkable about Emma. I mean, about her body of work. On the other hand, John Smith is a guy you don't wanna mess around with

John 5
Emma 0
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

JayzusB.Christ

Emma is a fine writer and it's great to have someone who successfully dilutes the boy's club atmosphere a bit.  But I love John Smith's stuff with a passion. He's one of the best in the business, in my book, and should be as rich and famous as Grant Morrison.  So sorry, Emma, it's

John 5, Emma 0.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Beeby knows how to write a story packed with interesting ideas, plots that cohere, and fill them with humour. She delivers consistently, a couple of dodgy Andersons aside. Smith may or may not actually know HOW to do those things - he just does whatever he wants and sometimes it lands. And my goodness, when it lands it REALLY lands. Beeby hasn't had the time to deliver classics that'd measure up against Killing Time and Cradlegrave, although for me the Alienist isn't far off Devlin Waugh, if only it had more outings. Her Dredds have, on average been better than Smith's Dredds, too.

But with those heavy hitting stories on his side, it's still Smith 4, Beeby 1.

broodblik

That is great summarization on Beeby. I like her work on both Survival Geeks and The Alienists but her Anderson is a little bit iffy.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

A difficult one for me. I'm really not a big fan of John Smith; he has a bunch of great ideas but I just find it really hard to follow what is going on. For that reason Indigo Prime and Revere are amongst my least favourite 2000AD thrills. But they made enough of an impact for me to consider them on my least favourites list, as opposed to stuff that wasn't that memorable and I've just forgotten. I did like Firekind though. I recently re-read Cinnebar and it was only ok - I don't get why it's often held up as the best ever Rogue Trooer story.

I grew to like Survivial Geeks, but I have no idea how much Emma wrote and how much Gordon wrote.
I didn't particularly like Emma's Anderson.

Overall, on a coin toss
Smith 2
Beeby 3

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 June, 2021, 11:49:28 AMI recently re-read Cinnebar and it was only ok - I don't get why it's often held up as the best ever Rogue Trooer story.
At the time, Rogue Trooper had been treading water for ages, with the dull and risible Hit arc. Smith's effort felt like—to steal a later Diggle phrase—a shot of rocket fuel. I still like it now, because it has a ton of weirdness and Bagman goes off the deep end.