Main Menu

Tom Tully or John Wagner - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2021, 06:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

As with Carlos, so with John ... sorry Tom someone had to...

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Tom Tully - more info

OR

John Wagner - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Saturday 3rd July

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun!

broodblik

Anyone that faces The Wagner will most likely be obliterated:

Wagner 5: Tully 0
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I have to give Tully 2 for Wolfie Smith- responsible for seriously scaring the shite out of young me.

So- Wagner 3, Tully 2

SBT

abelardsnazz

I don't really remember Wolfie Smith, and The Mean Arena didn't do anything for me.

Tom Tully 0, John Wagner 5/b].

Magnetica

Looking at the list of what Tom Tully wrote, I am quite surprised - I thought it was more. Back in the day, he seemed like the go to guy for no nonsense weekly thrills that do what they say on the tin.

But it's Wagner.

So:

5 nil to John.

DrJomster

That is interesting, reminding myself what Tom wrote.

5-0 to Wagner though, I'm afraid. Sorry Tom.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

IndigoPrime

Tully was an important writer in the Prog's early days, but I can't say I really care for anything he wrote. Wagner is... well, just everything. Not every strip he pens is gold, but a sizeable amount has been. He is, for me, probably the most under-rated writer in the medium. Sure, us 2000 AD folks love him, but his work on Dredd alone should have his name mentioned alongside all-time comics greats, past and present.

So, for me, it's Tully 0 / Wagner 5

AlexF

Am tempted to give Tully a point to acknowledge that I have enjoyed a fair bit of his 2000AD work. Another pro Wolfie Smith vote, for exmaple (mind you, the actual plots of thse stories doesn't live up to the joyful dickishness of the lead character) But for the sake of consistency I also have to acknowledge that the worst fo Wagner routinely bests the best of Tully...

Wagner 5, Tully 0.

Tomwe

Colin YNWA

Another vote for Wolfie Smith. I never know why it has such a bad press, I love its clumsy charm. The fact that he's a bit of an dick at times is part of what makes it great. Not everyone who gets powers needs to be Peter Parker, aware that with great power comes great responsibility. Some will be regular folks just worried about getting chips and carnival stuff toy prizes!

broodblik

Wolfie Smith is one strip I never read. I was always hopeful that some day it might get collected
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

paddykafka

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 30 June, 2021, 08:14:30 AM
I have to give Tully 2 for Wolfie Smith- responsible for seriously scaring the shite out of young me.

Tom is the reason that my younger self wasted hours of their life, staring intensely at various objects - pens, books, cups etc - in the vain hope that I could move them with my mind alone.  :-[

So it's Tom Tully (2) John Wagner (3)

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.