Main Menu

Hilary Robinson or David Hine - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 9 - BONUS TIE

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 July, 2021, 06:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

This is the tie I added to remove an injustice of missing Hilary Robinson from Team Classic. And injustice it is too as she did some fantastic work for Tharg. I'm a big fan of both Zippy Couriers and Medivac 318. Both successfully brought a different tone and much needed variety to the Prog. And this makes her a figure that divides options. David Hine I suspect divides opinion almost equally. He too provides different tones to his work (and remember we're only thinking about writing here, so ignore David's art) but for me his recent work on Dark Judges for the Megazine have been real show stoppers and truly excellent.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Hilary Robinson - more info

OR

David Hine - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Sunday 4th July

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Hillary brought some variety to the Progs. David's work on the Dark Judges is excellent.

Hilary Robinson 2, David Hine 3.

IndigoPrime

Yikes. This is a tough one. Robinson sits alongside Hogan as someone whose more thoughtful writing wasn't appreciated at the time. But Medivac 318 was an excellent strip (and a lot better than Mercy Heights). Zippy Couriers was light but fun. Her Stront tales were solid. In all, an under appreciated and underrated writer.

Hine has done good work too. Mambo should have continued. His Dark Judges series was good and different from what we've seen before.

Purely based on quantity (since quality is broadly even here for me), I'm going with:

Robinson 3 / Hine 2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sintec

Going to sit this one out as I realise that I've read none of Hilary's contributions to the Prog as she's not had anything make it into the Hachette collection yet.

AlexF

Quite like both writers, but have never fallen in love with any one of their stories. Based purely on what I'm more exicted about re-reading one day, gonna send the balance
Robinson 3, Hine 2

Given Hine's obvious interest n body horror, I'm intrigued to think what he could do if he was asked to write a sequel to 'Henry Moon: Survivor'. With Lee Carter on art.

Tomwe

milstar

I didn't have much luck with female writers on 2000ad. Hilary's too wordy to me. While David is a legend in his own right.

Hilary 0
David 5
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Funt Solo

Quote from: AlexF on 01 July, 2021, 09:47:41 AM
Given Hine's obvious interest n body horror, I'm intrigued to think what he could do if he was asked to write a sequel to 'Henry Moon: Survivor'. With Lee Carter on art.

That poignant moment when Henry realized what they'd done:

Robinson 3 : 2 Hine
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

it would be a five nil clean sweep to david, for me, if we were considering his superb work outside the prog.
but since we're keeping it to work for the mighty one, it's 4-1 to hilary.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

also, in this, y'know, sci-fi, comic, i don't think anyone ever caught the poignant, fragile, claustrophobic, actual, human experience of space as well as hilary and nigel did in medivac 318. it was quiet. sometimes quiet is good.

IndigoPrime

I recall half dismissing Medivac when I was a youngling, reading the Prog for the first time. I didn't get it. Mind you, I and most of my friends thought Zenith was "boring". When I went back to read it a few years later, I was all: oh. It's really good. But quiet too often doesn't fit, and so like Hogan she was ejected from the Prog. As I've said elsewhere, I'd much sooner see Medivac in the Ultimate Collection than Mercy Heights.

Link Prime