Main Menu

John Tomlinson or Gordon Rennie - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 10

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 July, 2021, 06:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

Gordon 'Sunshine' Rennie is a real heavy weight of modern 2000ad. He's produced so many long running series, many of which are considered classics. In many ways his dark edgy tone defines the modern Prog and anchors it to the past at the same time. He's created and explored his own worlds and played with gleeful bitterness in worlds created in 2000ad's long history. It's easy therefore to think his volume alone will swamp that of John Tomlinson, but I'm alway surprised by just how much John wrote for the Prog, thinking of him as I do as the Armoured Gideon fella. That rudely dismissed Mercy Heights, Tor Cyan and more. The fact he's started to craft one offs again for Tharg makes me wonder will he be Team Classic for too much longer?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

John Tomlinson - more info

OR

Gordon Rennie - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Monday 5th July

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun!

Funt Solo

Rennie 4 : 1 Tomlinson

Armoured Gideon's The Collector is quite thought-provoking, when all's said and done.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Rennie 4: 1 Tomlinson

Tomlinson gets a point for Armoured Gideon
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

I'm a big fan of Armoured Gideon, and also Missionary Man. Both of these guys have played extensively in the Rogue Trooper world sandbox.

John Tomlinson 2, Gordon Rennie 3.

Magnetica

Some of Rennie's stuff doesn't really do much for me: Missionary Man, The 86ers. And I don't really remember which Dredds are his. But his good stuff is pretty great: Jaegir, Callablistics, Absalom, Cursed Earth Koburn, Survival Geeks.

So yeah it's Rennie for me. Let's say 4-1.

DrJomster

What they said!

4-1 to Gordon. Tough draw for John there.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

IndigoPrime

Tomlinson's work mostly doesn't do much for me—but when it hits home, boy does it hit home. Armoured Gideon was excellent—and I really wish it would find a home in the UC. Mercy Heights was dull, but then we got Tor Cyan, which is a rare example of a blue-skinned warrior's tales being of interest to me. (Also good: Cinnebar; War Machine; Rennie's 'flashbacks'.)

Rennie is far more prolific. Some of his work doesn't click with me. I kind of glaze over with Aquila. Early Missionary Man was, well, 'light on plot' is probably a fair assessment. But that last strip is an excellent example of a developing writer. By the end, it was great. Beyond that, Rennie made the Angel Gang matter again in Angelic and pulled off the same trick with the Rogue Trooper universe (the wonderful Jaegir). Then there's Cabs/Absalom, Necronauts and The Alienist. Slight black mark for 'doing an Edginton' too often, mind, albeit with short runs and big gaps rather than outright abandonment. That said, Rennie—like Abnett—feels like one of the Prog's most essential writers, to the degree a massive hole would be left if he pulled a Mills.

For Armoured Gideon and Tor Cyan, I want to give Tomlinson 2, but the sheer weight of Rennie's quality output makes that impossible. So:

Tomlinson 1 / Rennie 4

Tomwe

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 July, 2021, 09:44:08 AM

For Armoured Gideon and Tor Cyan, I want to give Tomlinson 2, but the sheer weight of Rennie's quality output makes that impossible. So:

Tomlinson 1 / Rennie 4

Exactly the same for me - Rennie's overall high quality output must be considered.

Rennie 4 / Tomlinson 1

It just occurred to me that this entire 'Writers Solhiem Cup' bollocks is just a ruse Colin cooked up to present quantum physicists with the Rennie v Niemand equation.

AlexF

I like Armoured Gideon a whole lot, but Rennie has produced too much worked that I've absolutely loved, whether its Necronauts or Cabs/Diaboliks or a bunch of his Dredds (Judgement and Road Stop being particular favourites). And his hit rate of new series is highly commendable.

I've gotta give him the full whack, Rennie 5, Tomlinson 0.

milstar

Gordon 4
John 1

It's a tough draw for John. Gordon is one of the best of recent droids.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

paddykafka

Rogue Judge

Rennie 4: Tomlinson 1

Glimmer Rats, 86ers, Rogue Trooper, Dredd etc...all fantastic. I especially enjoy Jaegir nowadays.