Main Menu

Favourite Thrill - Necrophim vs Past Imperfect - Round 1 Heat 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 October, 2021, 07:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 1 might require you get your thrill-banks tuned up as we drag some lesser lights of Tharg's Thrillverse out - though there are some stonking series in here it has to be said. And even when there's not, most of the ties offer some intriguing conundrums at least.

Heat 2 we get our first series of one-offs, these with a historical twist and a series that I loved, but really divided opinion.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Necrophim - more info

vs.

Past Imperfect - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 28th October and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Dark Jimbo

Past Imperfect was as variable as any Future Shock-type anthology series, but there were occasionally some real crackers - like Steve Moore's multi-part steam punk extravaganza Alice's Adventures in Whitechapel.

Necrophim, on the other hand, was the first strip in 2000AD that I had to stop reading. Really turgid stuff.
@jamesfeistdraws

Barrington Boots

I haven't read Past Imperfect so not voting, but it would have to be really bad to be worse than Necrophim.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

You guys! Necrophim is secretly great, and deserves all the votes. OK, there's a LOT of people walking along (decayed, rotting) corridors and chatting about their evil plans without actually doing those plans, but as such it speaks to the banality of Hell as well as the wickedness of its denizens.

One the other side, I struggle to remember a single plot from a Past Imperfect, although I think maybe there was an Arhtur Wyatt one about Laika returning as a space ghost that was quite fun? Or was that a Terror Tale?

Anyway, Necrophim.

sheridan

Necrophim - I appreciated it when it was re-run in the Megazine floppies a few years back.

As for Past Imperfect - what was the unique selling point for that series?  Seeing as we already had the Time Twisters brand?  Was it alternate and secret histories or something?

Blue Cactus

Hello all. I've been struggling to get logged on here for about a year after getting forgetting my password (filled in the 'reset your password thing lots of times but never received the email to do so).

Anyway I've been lured back in by Colin's ambitious tournament and have finally managed to get logged in.

Going to vote Necrophim here. I enjoyed Lee Carter's art on this one a lot and it was a different kind of strip for 2000AD. Not mind blowing but I was happy enough to have it in the prog. I don't really remember individual Past Imperfects but I'm generally more of a fan of ongoing series than the one-offs. Necrophim made for a decent reread in the Megazine floppy too.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

past imperfect

i'll vote for necrophim when we get around to the greatest premise tourney.

DrJomster

Necrophim for me. Must do a re-read sometime actually. Remember seeing Lee's art in colour a couple of years later and thinking a) it looked excellent and b) Necrophim might have benefited from a bit of colour art, even if used sparingly for effect.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Southstreeter

BPP

Past Imperfect - any 2000ad anthology series beats the woeful Necrophim.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Funt Solo

Past Imperfect launched Dandridge with Antiques Phantasma in prog 1409, but otherwise was just a re-labeling of Time Twisters (probably).

Necrophim was difficult to love, but I rated the third series - it had more action. I was never quite sold on the aesthetic of Satan in a top hat, but then at least it wasn't a rinse and repeat of all that came before.

Artistic merit here has to sit with the stronger narrative (and I can save my Dandridge vote for Dandridge):

Necrophim
++ A-Z ++  coma ++