Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Megatropolis vs. Tribal Memories Round 3 Heat 7

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 May, 2022, 06:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well a very significant week in the tournament as we enter Round 3 after the seemingly unending Round two. We're down to the last 128 thrills and from here the quality will step up, but the choices start to get harder. But the lovely thing about this round is there is still plenty of room for mis-matches...

These two are low on page count (so far in one case), but high on quality. Megatropolis has seen off From Grace in Round 2. Tribal Memories took down Witchworld in that round after blanking Snapshot in Round 1.

Megatropolis - more info

Vs

Tribal Memories - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 15th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

A modern classic against an extremely memorable short that still holds up now...hmmm...

Tribal Memories.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've loved Tribal Memories for decades. Back in the day there was that magnificent, chunky, 'Best of 2000AD Special' that was packed full of top-quality thrills. The Complete Tribal Memories was in that, and didn't seem.out of place. That issue is something I dig out on a fairly regular basis to reread, and I've bought multiple copies over the years for friends when they've asked me to show them why 2000AD is worth reading. If I were forced to grab *one comic* in a life or death emergency, it would probably be that one.

But, Megatropolis was spectacular. And that particular period of the Meg was the best the comic has ever been. So, Megatropolis gets it for me.

SBT

AlexF

Big fan of Dave Taylor's art, bigger fan of Tony Riot. In all honesty, the actual stpory of Tribal Memories doesn't quite build to a satisfying ending. But so far, Megatropolis is all set up, with no real idea where it's leading beyond more, admittedly clever and charming, Judge Dredd references.

Tribal Memories for me, just.

Barrington Boots

I went on about how I wasn't enamoured with Megatropolis last time so won't bore anyone by doing that again. I think I may have voted against it last round, but here, it's Tribal Memories that's the better thrill for me.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 12 May, 2022, 08:13:45 AM
I've loved Tribal Memories for decades. Back in the day there was that magnificent, chunky, 'Best of 2000AD Special' that was packed full of top-quality thrills. The Complete Tribal Memories was in that, and didn't seem.out of place. That issue is something I dig out on a fairly regular basis to reread, and I've bought multiple copies over the years for friends when they've asked me to show them why 2000AD is worth reading. If I were forced to grab *one comic* in a life or death emergency, it would probably be that one.

But, Megatropolis was spectacular. And that particular period of the Meg was the best the comic has ever been. So, Megatropolis gets it for me.

SBT

That Best of issue you mention is a real celebration isn't it? I'd had a couple of years away from 2000ad at that point and saw it on the shelf one day and what an absolute treat that was. Just a great collection and yes Tribal Memories fit in perfectly.

Anyway. I like Megatropolis but I find the alternaDredd conceit is my least favourite thing about it. Spotting an old character in an unfamiliar role becomes a bit of a hollow point of interest for me, but I'm enjoying the story and art plenty and I do like the two leads.

However, think I'm going Tribal Memories this time.

Proudhuff

I have no memories of the tribal one and love the alt-Meg One story and art so much I bought the hardback!

Megatropolis
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

I like alternate versions and the art on Megatropolis is exquisite, but there's not been anything else like Tribal Memories in 2000AD so I'm going for that.

Huey2

davidbishop

Tribal Memories for me, for its total originality. No slight on Megatropolis!