Main Menu

I loved the dummy issue zero of AD 2000...

Started by matty_ae, 13 October, 2021, 09:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

any chance of:

Judge Dredd Fortnightly mock-up - Judge Anderson / Helltreckers / Blockers etc.
Zarjaz - the Warrior rival mock-up - with the Mick McMahon painted cover
Alternity / Earthside 8 - both versions

That's all...

Leigh S

Not sure there is a JD fortnightly or Zarjaz mock up (certainly the Zarjaz I thought didnnt really have any content "commissioned"?

Earthside 8 I;d be interested in, but do Rebellion own it?

matty_ae

The Dredd Fortnightly strips are well documented
It just needs a cover to look like this https://youtu.be/RloXdGGvulc

Leigh S

We know what the strips were meant to be, and we ahve the art for most of them.  But do we have a genuine copy of the dummy to use - was there even a dummy, or just lots of pages of story commissioned and the whole thing put on ice before the dummy could be put together?

I recall that Zarjaz is even more nebulous - the idea was to make a "more adult" 2000AD - perhaps to move in on the Warrior Territory - as far as I recall, other than Slaine (whose intended appearance in it is only known from the fact he was on the cover - hopefully Pat's book might tell us more, but I fear not).  ISTR reading it was going to ahve more "adult" versions of existing tales (Robo-Hunter being one named?)

We know for sure there were dummies for Earthside 8/Alternity, but I think their ownership is the nebulous bit given they didnt see print

maryanddavid

There is nothing to Zarjaz beyond a cover, and The Dredd Comic, while most of the contents are known the cover is not, and there seems to be a main Dredd story not known either. Probably easily segued into 2000 AD.
Alternity and Earthside 8 are different, they were actually 'published', probably 100 printed of each for a focus group, and pulped on return. There is only a handful out there.

matty_ae

I just love unearthing weird curios.
I should have remembered your excellent work uncovering the Zarjaz logo David. (Beyond 2000AD, right?)

Whilst I've got your attention/s, has any artists ever had a go at drawing this?
http://www.comicscube.com/2011/11/read-alan-moores-judge-dredd-script.html

Leigh S

You'd think someone would ahve hadd a shot at it, wouldnt you?

You couldnt really print it anywhere I dont think, without the Great Magus's approval

Not seen anything on the interweb though.  Maybe it could be a Forum project?  Different artists for each panel?

matty_ae

The idea of each artist doing a panel - and then maybe auctioning it off for charity is genius.
You're correct though if it wasn't commissioned then it still belongs to Alan.

matty_ae

Interestingly the Thrillcast with Robin Smith explained that the Zarjaz mock-up was just done with material that had already been released - i think he mentioned Redondo's Nemesis Book 2

This is the same method Dez Skinn seems to have favouted with his Warrior 0

Id still be interested in them...