Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

It's a shame Mel Gibson turned into such a nutter because when he's doing this sort of thing he's bloody great.

This is a sort of unofficial sequel to 'Payback'(a favourite of mine) - it's easy to assume that Mel's unnamed character in this film is actually Porter from Payback as he acts and sounds exactly the same and the film features a very similar voice over.
This time the action takes place in a Mexcian open prison where everybody is corrupt and on the make. Mel manages to stay one step ahead of the baddies even though sacrifices have to be made.

Apparently this film went straight to pay-per-view in the states and has been something of a flop. It's well worth a watch though!

Toni Scandella

Killing Them Softly, because I saw the trailer when I went to see Dredd and loved the Johnny Cash tune that they used to introduce Brad Pitt's character.  Absolutely fantastic movie, I have to say.  Would be my film of the year had I not seen Dredd. Needed more Ray Liotta, but then again I can always watch Goodfellas and play Vice City again...

JamesC

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 29 September, 2012, 06:39:33 PM
Killing Them Softly, because I saw the trailer when I went to see Dredd and loved the Johnny Cash tune that they used to introduce Brad Pitt's character.  Absolutely fantastic movie, I have to say.  Would be my film of the year had I not seen Dredd. Needed more Ray Liotta, but then again I can always watch Goodfellas and play Vice City again...

Out of interest, what, apart from Johnny Cash, did you like about this film? I found it utterly boring and predictable.

Thean again, I don't like Goodfellas or GTA either!

Hoagy

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 September, 2012, 08:02:27 PM
It gives me great pleasure to see someone else enjoying the delights of Universal and Bud & Lou. Many cite the "descent into comedy" as proof positive that horror was all played out, and the idea that horror always goes this way is so entrenched now as to be one of those bollocks 'truths' that mainstream shitics spout in an attempt to appear knowledgeable. This ignores just how good Bud and Lou were at their best, and how good the movies were. Glad you're enjoying.

SBT

Comedy/Tragedy turned to Comedy/Horror. On the most primal level human beings enjoy a good scare and a good relieved laugh afterwards. Rollercoasters and Ghosttrains are fair evidence of that. So it's natural that the comedy just be amped up in respect of more universal horrors. A common backlash to this are niche horrors. Horrors with no humour though, have to be impossible or just depressing without the relief factor being evident.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Toni Scandella

Quote from: JamesC on 29 September, 2012, 07:32:19 PM
Quote from: Toni Scandella on 29 September, 2012, 06:39:33 PM

Out of interest, what, apart from Johnny Cash, did you like about this film? I found it utterly boring and predictable.

Thean again, I don't like Goodfellas or GTA either!

The dialogue, acting and story :>  I just really enjoyed it.  Of course it was predictable - it's a movie.  They all are. I have a soft spot for tough guy gangster movies, and I thought this was a fun one.

El Chivo

Cabin in The Woods

Pretty good

Chi

Satanist

The Raid

Fucking brilliant! Mental, creative action scenes and some right gruesome deaths!

I actually winced at the [spoiler]broken back[/spoiler] scene
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

El Chivo

Quote from: Satanist on 30 September, 2012, 09:15:27 AM
The Raid

Fucking brilliant! Mental, creative action scenes and some right gruesome deaths!

I actually winced at the [spoiler]broken back[/spoiler] scene

Yeh, it was a toss up between this & CINW
Might have to go get it
Cabin's definitely worth a punt tho, the end is especially mental

Chi

Satanist

Saw Cabin in the Woods a while back and loved every bonkers minute of it  :D
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I thought Cabin in the Woods was just alright. They telegraphed the twist a bit, and in retrospect, it seemed like it was just a set up for One Big Set Piece. The set up wasn't bad, but it was a cliche [spoiler](although admittedly that was on purpose)[/spoiler]. It was all too self aware, the characters tongues are practically jammed in their cheeks throughout and they all but wink at the camera all too often. I had this exact same problem with the Expendables 2 and it's a trend in movies that's really starting to vex me. The set piece though; [spoiler]Thoroughly Bat Shit Insane With Giant Bats and Everything[/spoiler], one of the most entertaining half hours of cinema

But anyways, over the weekend I was in a room full of people that hadn't never seen the remake of Clash of the Titans, no how. We were drunk and fancied watching a terrible movie, and this filled the bill nicely. As Homer once said 'It's just a bunch of stuff that happened'.

The narrative we made up (because none of us could agree on what was going on, that's how ridiculously unconcerned the whole thing is with telling a story), was far superior. We even came up with a better name for it. Clash of the Titans: CLASH TIGHTER
You may quote me on that.

It's true what they say: ye've more chance of bottling lightning than getting to the edit button on time.

Cabin in the Woods: Me and me mates came up with a better ending:[spoiler]The stoner guy kills the girl who's supposed to be a virgin (and admitted to Ripley that she really wasn't), but everything's fine. Turns out the stoner was a virgin all along.[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Wouldn't have mattered if he was a virgin in the same way it didn't matter that the girl wasn't: they were merely there to play out parts.

RE: Clash Of The Titans - it's nonsensical shite because it was written as a 3D showpiece, but with the home video version you can make a drinking game where everyone has to take a sip every time something comes directly towards the screen in slow motion.  Though fair warning your liver will be fucked about 30 minutes in.

Quote from: Professah Byah on 30 September, 2012, 09:07:40 PM
Wouldn't have mattered if he was a virgin in the same way it didn't matter that the girl wasn't: they were merely there to play out parts.

True but it would have been funny if they weren't playing the parts they were supposed to play. At least in my head anyways.

radiator

Just saw Looper - fresh, clever, grim, funny, sharp and stylish sci fi. You can see a lot of influences here and there but it still has an identity of it's own. Easily the best thing Bruce Willis has been involved with for a long, long time.

Recommended.

SuperSurfer

I pretty much gave up on cinema a few years ago but this year I broke my rule and saw Avengers. Then because I enjoyed DREDD so much I was quite keen to get back into going to the cinema on condition that we pay for better seats so less wind ups.

Saw Looper today but TBH I can't really see what all the fuss is a about. Don't see why it should have so many 5 star reviews. Felt a bit too long and I did get bored. I feel that I saw a few ideas from comics in particular something from [spoiler]Alan Moore's Jack B Quick[/spoiler]. Mind you the sound quality was poor and I really struggled to understand what was being said which didn't help. Cinema was empty - about 5% full. That really surprised me.