Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Trollhunter.  Early contender for best movie I'll see in 2013, and definitely the best found-footage flick I've seen yet:  I bloody loved it, start to finish, big stupid grin stuff.  Terrific design, terrific atmosphere, and some great lines.  I have now taken to calling my kids Ringlefinch and Tosserlad.

Since seeing it at the weekend I've felt vaguely but persistently sad that it isn't a true story, that there aren't really Trolls roaming the mountains of Norway: a form of scando-saudade, I suppose.

Must go, that Ringlefinch is making hungry sounds again.

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 February, 2013, 11:35:15 AM
Trollhunter.  Terrific design

This!

Monster design is something that's floundered since the glory days of Harryhausen with many productions putting out bland designs (recent Clash of the Titans for example) or 'difficult to work out' monsters (Cloverfield or Super 8).
Troll Hunter and to a lesser extent John Carter have impressed me with characterful, interesting designs.

Professor Bear

The Girl From the Naked Eye - a low-budget pastiche of noir pulp detective stories.  No knowing winks or nods to the source material or postmodern witticisms or mumblecore dialogue, just a mash-up of various genres in a downbeat thriller (but not oppressively miserable-downbeat, just atmospherically kind of glum-downbeat).  Some shameless lifts from cult movies like the corridor fight from Oldboy, but otherwise pretty decent.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Just watched Flight. Pretty entertaining. Wasn't expecting the full frontal nudity and cocaine abuse. Nice touches. Soundtrack was pretty decent too.

Buttonman

COMMANDO FORCES

Gotta agree with Mr Eliminator Flight was very entertaining. The whole crash sequence was played out exceptionally well, coolness personified surrounded by chaos and that mobile phone footage was the icing on the cake :o

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also watched Leningrad Cowboys go America. GREAT movie! With a cameo from Jim Jarmusch too.

Mabs

Quote from: Buttonman on 06 February, 2013, 07:52:29 PM
The Apparition and what a pile of crap it was.

Lol
Sounds like an absolute load of tripe! But the weird thing is, your review is so good that i need to see this crap for myself! :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Buttonman

Quote from: Mabs on 06 February, 2013, 08:51:29 PM

Lol
Sounds like an absolute load of tripe! But the weird thing is, your review is so good that i need to see this crap for myself! :D

My work here is done. No wait stay away!

Anyway a return to form with Wreck it Ralph - somehow the stinkers are more fun to review but this is a real gem.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 February, 2013, 06:51:29 PM
Anyway a return to form with Wreck it Ralph - somehow the stinkers are more fun to review but this is a real gem.

They had me at the Hero's Duty/Hero's Doody line. Even if it is just a riff on Tron and Pixelface

Professor Bear

Silent Hill: Revelation is one of those films that when it ends your instinct is to immediately say to anyone in the room that it was the worst film you've ever seen, even if it's just you and the dog.  It's devoid of any kind of worth and there are countless shots where something stops, turns to directly look into the camera and then goes WUUUURRRGH for a bit because the film was originally made for 3d, and there is dialogue so unreal that even Sean Bean looks uncomfortable saying it aloud - and that Sean Bean, man he has been in some films that were really something else.
This film is not good is what I am saying.

Frank

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 08 February, 2013, 09:18:15 PM
Silent Hill: Revelation is one of those films that when it ends your instinct is to immediately say to anyone in the room that it was the worst film you've ever seen, even if it's just you and the dog.  It's devoid of any kind of worth and there are countless shots where something stops, turns to directly look into the camera and then goes WUUUURRRGH for a bit because the film was originally made for 3d, and there is dialogue so unreal that even Sean Bean looks uncomfortable saying it aloud - and that Sean Bean, man he has been in some films that were really something else. This film is not good is what I am saying.

So many folk, including the kids at my work who worship that series, have told me RE5 is utter shite that I'm almost tempted to add it to my Lovefilm list. Speaking of which, guess who thought he'd added the Coen Brothers' True Grit to his rental list, only to open up the envelope this evening and discover a forty year old John Wayne film he knows back-to-front?

Mabs

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 February, 2013, 06:51:29 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 06 February, 2013, 08:51:29 PM

Lol

My work here is done. No wait stay away!

:lol:

Unlike The Premonition, Wreck-it-Ralph does sound very good, judging by your excellent review. I might take my son along to watch it on his birthday...thats if he recovers in time from the flu-virus.  :o

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: sauchie on 08 February, 2013, 09:24:13 PM
Silent Hill: Revelation is one of those films that when it ends your instinct is to immediately say to anyone in the room that it was the worst film you've ever seen, even if it's just you and the dog.  It's devoid of any kind of worth and there are countless shots where something stops, turns to directly look into the camera and then goes WUUUURRRGH for a bit because the film was originally made for 3d, and there is dialogue so unreal that even Sean Bean looks uncomfortable saying it aloud - and that Sean Bean, man he has been in some films that were really something else. This film is not good is what I am saying.

So many folk, including the kids at my work who worship that series, have told me RE5 is utter shite that I'm almost tempted to add it to my Lovefilm list. Speaking of which, guess who thought he'd added the Coen Brothers' True Grit to his rental list, only to open up the envelope this evening and discover a forty year old John Wayne film he knows back-to-front?

No! Bloody bastards.  >:(

I too haven't seen the recent True Grit; been meaning to watch it for weeks now...

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Professor Bear

Quote from: sauchie on 08 February, 2013, 09:24:13 PM
Silent Hill: Revelation

So many folk, including the kids at my work who worship that series, have told me RE5 is utter shite

Resident Evil 5 is a different shitty film from a survival horror game series, though like Silent Hill: Revelation, it's basically a series of scenes lifted from other films that aren't put into the context of the new film by the story - stuff just happens because it does, there's lots of CGI, and things slow down as they pass near the camera.