Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Evil Aliens

Ridiculous hammy, raunchy, gorefest, UK horror film... but it kind of knows it is, and goes with it.

I think many here would hate it.

I will say, that I wasnt bored though. In fact I found it rather funny in places.

Might be worth watching just for the combine harvester scene complete with Wurzel sound track..

JamesC

Jurassic World

I really enjoyed this. Wasn't really expecting to but I went to visit my parents and my Dad had borrowed it from my Sister so we put it on.
It's probably as good a monster movie as I've seen (apart from the original King Kong) and definitely the most enjoyable JP film.

Buttonman

I, Cosh

War on drugs drama/thriller Sicario. Good. Really good, in fact. Emily Blunt (I'm starting to like her a lot after this and Edge of Tomorrow) and Benicio del Toro are both excellent.

It's central question about how bad we are willing to be to prevent other bad things from happening is hardly new but there's a real style and energy about proceedings. Two extended scenes of escalating tension at either end of the film particularly stand out, although I guess I'll need CF to give me a report on the realness of the fire drills but it looked pretty convincing to me. It makes good use of some gimmicky surveillance and thermal/night-vision imagery in the second half and the muffled, bassy score really helps amp up the claustrophobic atmosphere at times.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Legend of Zorro, the unloved sequel to Mask of Zorro that is surprisingly enjoyable despite a nonsensical plot, an odd attitude towards its female lead, and being about twenty minutes too long.  Very old-fashioned, it doesn't struggle with tone like a lot of modern blockbusters do and manages to be silly without being mean-spirited thanks to a couple of good performances from Antonio Banderas - on form as an action star rather than a punchline - and Cathy Zeta Jones.  I felt that a few of the action scenes fell flat because they end on a bum note - like that farmer getting murdered right at the end of a scene where Zorro saves a woman and her child from a burning building by escaping from it on horseback after a big fight with some evil cowboys - but the big finale on a runaway train is great fun.

radiator

It Follows.

Er, was that it? Heard so much positive hype about this film and i just didn't get it. Couldn't get a handle on the rules and didn't find it scary or tense at all. Such a crap non-ending too.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 October, 2015, 12:39:43 PM
War on drugs drama/thriller Sicario. Good. Really good, in fact. Emily Blunt (I'm starting to like her a lot after this and Edge of Tomorrow) and Benicio del Toro are both excellent.

It's central question about how bad we are willing to be to prevent other bad things from happening is hardly new but there's a real style and energy about proceedings. Two extended scenes of escalating tension at either end of the film particularly stand out, although I guess I'll need CF to give me a report on the realness of the fire drills but it looked pretty convincing to me. It makes good use of some gimmicky surveillance and thermal/night-vision imagery in the second half and the muffled, bassy score really helps amp up the claustrophobic atmosphere at times.

Liked Emily ever since Wind-Chill and that's worth seeing as well. There's her cleft-chin, not sure if women are supposed to have those, but she wears it well.

Tiplodocus

SPECTRE.

More like SPHINCTER.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Actually I quite liked a lot of it but I just wanted to do that joke
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Ghostbusters. The kids' first time of watching, my umpteenth.  Takeaways from this viewing: 1. Wow, Sigourney Weaver is absolutely gorgeous!; 2. the Keymaster never has his non-metaphorical key on him; 3. There are Staypuft packets and billboards all over the place.

This has retained its place in my Top 10, fabulous film.

Hawkmumbler

I feel Day of the Dead should have been the ideal conclusion to Romeros zombie vision. The story of this world had been told, all the possible stages of the infestation brilliantly covered. Land of the Dead is a competent enough fourth movie, but utterly redundant.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 October, 2015, 09:41:43 PM
SPECTRE.

More like SPHINCTER.

I was going to write how good I felt about that one, but in the interest of good taste on this forum. I won't leave it out, even though there is chance I could blame it all on you for saying it first.

Anyway,  I bewildered by the cheap and nasty reference. I decided to look for this one and found two films.....

One made in 2012 that about a tsunami and whether there was more to it than that and it's the name some well known crooked organisation in the James Bondiverse made this year.

Don't that's awful, everybody like his films, but I agree the older ones were the best.

Quote from: TordelbackGhostbusters. The kids' first time of watching, my umpteenth.  Takeaways from this viewing: 1. Wow, Sigourney Weaver is absolutely gorgeous!; 2. the Keymaster never has his non-metaphorical key on him; 3. There are Staypuft packets and billboards all over the place.

This has retained its place in my Top 10, fabulous film.

Remembered by everybody and there were t-shirts, posters you could buy (I still have them rolled up and in storage with minor damage like scuffs and tears around the edge and cheap tie-in game made for the C64. As well as the sound track that I still might own on cassette tape.

Funny things is that you can still all get this stuff these days, but I'm now less into merchandise unless it's the written material that was really good or at least original.  I got the novelisation as well, and yes, all that stuff is being made beside the films they're based on. Only video games get better or worse.

I remember I was very impressed by this film and intrigued by the comedy team of stars behind it and only ever seen one of these actors in another film called Caddy-Shack and it years before I got to see more of Nation-Lampoon films and see any part SNL before this particular bunch of comedians went their separate ways and let the younger gens take over and they for some reason were never made as big as a impression without got OTT and I keep reading and hearing when people like Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and other guy who passed on... who kept telling the interviewer that Slimer is a reminder of John Belushi.

I always wanted to make one of those Particle-Throwers to impress friends and intimidate those sillier enough to cross me or both. Yet, I never even got that far in science studies and metal work.

That car was awesome as well, they don't make me like that these days. 

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 31 October, 2015, 11:48:20 PM

They don't'em like that these days, I meant!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 November, 2015, 01:01:45 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 31 October, 2015, 11:48:20 PM

They don't'em like that these days, I meant!

They don't make em like that these days!

Buttonman

Spectre which I enjoyed, but it wasn't as good as Skyfall and seemed to retread a lot of well trodden ground.