Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 10 January, 2016, 08:13:50 AM
The other film was Brazil, which if I recall correctly had multiple false endings. Each time I was thinking "please, please let this be the end".

Heh, my defence argument was going to be '...it's like Brazil with Bruce Willis and a big budget!'.  Nah, if you don't go for that Gilliam-style weirdness at all, I can see why it wouldn't work. Does the same apply to Baron Munchausen and (gulp) Time Bandits?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 January, 2016, 08:46:27 AM
(gulp) Time Bandits?

Saw Time Bandits with the kids over the holidays. They loved it (if it did terrify them at times) and it never fails to impress me how well it stands up. It really is, along with Princess Bride the true definition of a timeless classic for all.

Magnetica

Haven't seen Baron Munchaseun.

I am sorry Tordelback (and Colin), but yes the same also applies to Time Bandits. I guess I just don't like that style, as on the surface there should be a lot in these films to appeal to a 2000AD fan, but they are just too far up the weird scale for my liking.

Having said that what I least enjoy in tooth are the weirder stories like Revere or Zaucer of  Zilk.

Hawkmumbler

Aye, Time Bandits is (as radiator put it) one of the rare movies which I'm always happy to watch with gripped attention. Bloody fantastic.

ThryllSeekyr

Would you believe I watched the Village-People last night, to soak in in it's retro charm. (Of course, if you followed my internet habits, than you might think.....)  The woman in this, I think her name is Valerie Peri...something, (Who's also in the Superman that's on another channel!) a very young Steve Guttenburg,  (I'm pretty sure it's him!) and this tall guy who was famed athlete who actually became the father in the reality television Keeping Up With the Kardasians (Who don't look anything like they're from a reptilian alien race in Deep-Space-Nine!), before he became a transgendered woman.

No, I was actually raised on this type of music, along with ABBA, followed by Fame. We may still have a few of those on large vinyl disks. Before I found out that two thirds of that were for a certain minority.  I'm not really apart of, because I'm still attracted to women (Well, anybody that looks convincing enough like one!) ....Anyway, I always thought of the tall athletic guy as great role model for me in terms of his appearance. He's tall, fit, good looing and with great hair and now he gone the way of a T-Girl. No problem there, but they're very touchy about how you referred them and consider the height of bad manners to use the wrong word. event though the words themselves aren't actually rude. Just more related to a certain film industry. 

Anyway, I just don't approve of this misinterpretation of the English language and other than that, I have no problems with any life choices made above. Even though it comes as a shock to me.

I sat through this film like a lot of others I watch theses days, just being more in the presence of the television set than really taking in every second of it. I still love the music and you may all recall that song!

richerthanyou

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 January, 2016, 10:16:11 AM
I'm not really apart of, because I'm still attracted to women (Well, anybody that looks convincing enough like one!) ....Anyway, I always thought of the tall athletic guy as great role model for me in terms of his appearance. He's tall, fit, good looing and with great hair and now he gone the way of a T-Girl. No problem there, but they're very touchy about how you referred them and consider the height of bad manners to use the wrong word. event though the words themselves aren't actually rude. Just more related to a certain film industry. 

I'm not sure if this is your way of declaring to the board that you are open to potential future encounters with transgender persons or if this is strictly a music thing.

Just to confirm, I'm a big advocate of transgender rights (as well as gay, lesbian and bisexuals!)....from what I think I just read in your post you are on the same side of the fence.

It's late. I may be drunk. Peace and good will to all people.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

TordelBack

Sheesh, get a room you two!

Magnetica

Given all the talk about Star Wars, and because it's the one I have seen the least (a paltry 2 or 3 times  ;)) I have just re-watched Revenge of the Sith, and like Keef Monkey I also quite enjoyed it.

I think the reason I have n't really taken to it before is a) it lacks a major space battle sequence (but hey they can't blow up a Death Star every time) b) the dialogue /acting comes across as a bit wooden in places, especially between Padme and Anakin e.g. the bit at the end which should be really emotional as in "you've gone down a path I can't follow" etc but to me is just a bit lame and c) the effects look well CGI  e.g. when Anakin and Obi Wan are on those platforms above the lava river looks so green screen, the battle droid craft attacking the Wookies just look false etc - but it might in part be I was watching on DVD in standard def and not in HD. Having said that the effects in OT no longer look as real to me as they once did, especially the blaster bolts / Star Destroy laser fire, but some how I accept that, and the star ship models just look better.

And of course we pretty much know how it is going to end up.

But still it had a lot of good ideas in it and something else I hadn't really noticed before was that the music is good - for the dramatic sequences.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: richerthanyou on 10 January, 2016, 10:53:48 AM

I'm not sure if this is your way of declaring to the board that you are open to potential future encounters with transgender persons or if this is strictly a music thing.

Just to confirm, I'm a big advocate of transgender rights (as well as gay, lesbian and bisexuals!)....from what I think I just read in your post you are on the same side of the fence.

The clue's in the name: ThryllSeekyr

Spikes

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - a recent Blu-ray purchase, and a glorious piece of 70's paranoia 

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Spikes on 10 January, 2016, 03:39:45 PM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - a recent Blu-ray purchase, and a glorious piece of 70's paranoia
The Arrow Video BD? Yeah, thats one of the best packages they've released that wasn't a super special edition. It's rare I enjoy every single interview or creative process video bundled into a set but this one has some crackers, like The Man Behind the Scream and How We Made the Pod.

It's also one of my favourite exploits into 70's sci-fi, the homeless man's head spliced onto his dogs body is horrifying to this day.

Spikes

Yes, it's the Arrow Blu-ray.

They do indeed have a knack for putting together great packages for their releases.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 January, 2016, 09:38:47 AM
Aye, Time Bandits is (as radiator put it) one of the rare movies which I'm always happy to watch with gripped attention. Bloody fantastic.

Thanks to this thread, we had a viewing of The Best Movie Ever Made About Time-Travelling Dwarves tonight. The kids loved it, indeed my eldest nearly burst himself laughing at Robin's merry man punching 'the poor'. 

Personally I was struck by how good a job they do on Mycenae - Ait Benhaddou (aka Yunkai in GoT) might be made of the wrong stuff, but it's dressed beautifully. And the ambiguous way the 'Minotaur' is shot is terrific. Such a fantastic diversity of tone from segment to segment, it isn't dull for a minute.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: richerthanyou on 10 January, 2016, 10:53:48 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 January, 2016, 10:16:11 AM
I'm not really apart of, because I'm still attracted to women (Well, anybody that looks convincing enough like one!) ....Anyway, I always thought of the tall athletic guy as great role model for me in terms of his appearance. He's tall, fit, good looing and with great hair and now he gone the way of a T-Girl. No problem there, but they're very touchy about how you referred them and consider the height of bad manners to use the wrong word. event though the words themselves aren't actually rude. Just more related to a certain film industry. 

It's late. I may be drunk. Peace and good will to all people.

Not really into dudes, but some Tgirls (As they preferred to be called!) sure look in interesting. even before full gender reassignment.

Like I said not really into dudes, and with women tend to be hard to get on with as well and now those T-Grils as well.

So why bother.......

I ordered Pixels one morning and forgot to watch.

richerthanyou

Monty Python And The Holy Grail

I think there is something wrong with me. I did not laugh. At all. I was singing along. And quoting lines all the way through. (as you do) I think that every single joke is so well preserved in my mind by this point that there is no need to laugh out loud at the humor.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie and always will. It's almost like the jokes have stopped being jokes and are more of a...... real thing? Someone help me out here.

Still a brilliant film however you look at it.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)