Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

What I loved about First Class was that it was two hours of a date-rapist telling a Holocaust survivor to get over it, then failing to follow his own advice, thus proving he is the greatest hero of them all.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 June, 2016, 11:08:05 AM
'The Brothers Grimsby' - which I chortled through despite being terrible - the scene inside the elephant was funny and boak inducing all at once.

I've got fuck-all interest in seeing this but I'm curious. A chum of mine mentioned the elephant scene and my immediate thought was "How?" An elephant just . . . lets them climb into her vagina?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Satanist

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 12 June, 2016, 08:21:47 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 08 June, 2016, 11:08:05 AM
'The Brothers Grimsby' - which I chortled through despite being terrible - the scene inside the elephant was funny and boak inducing all at once.

I've got fuck-all interest in seeing this but I'm curious. A chum of mine mentioned the elephant scene and my immediate thought was "How?" An elephant just . . . lets them climb into her vagina?

Yes, but as this is a film where someone accidentally injects heroin with no adverse consequences I really wouldnt worry about it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

The Fantastic Four (2015).

I really quite enjoyed this and thought it worked pretty well as a sort of glorified b movie. The first two thirds were very good but it was let down somewhat by a weak third act. Add it to the long list of films which end with a battle to stop a big beam that's shooting into the sky (Hollywood really need to stop these beam in the sky finales, it's getting ridiculous).
The biggest criticism is that it wasn't an FF film. Reed and Johnny were reasonably close to their comic characters, Ben and Sue less so. Doctor Doom was pretty much unrecognisable.

radiator

Finding Dory.

If you were worried that a sequel to Finding Nemo would be a somewhat unnessesary retread of the original....

You'd be kinda right, I'm afraid.

Its fine, passable entertainment, but think Monsters University - relatively disposable and unmemorable. It's also what, the fifth Pixar movie about tiny sentient beings trying to break into/out of unfamiliar human environments to rescue a loved one. Its getting more than a little repetitive...

I know this might be a REALLY silly complaint for an animated kids movie, but i also thought it pushed the rules of its own heightened reality too far. The first Nemo had a handful of literal 'fish out of water' sequences, but it was always portrayed as dangerous and scary for the little guys. In this one they seem to spend more time out of the water than in it. You can feel the writers contorting themselves to contrive ways to get waterbound characters from point a to b. As a result it lacks a sense of peril, and the climax of the third act feels like a bit of a shark-jump in this respect (no pun intended).

I don't want to be too down on it - its a decent trip to the movies and is as visually stunning as you'd expect. Its just not as good as the reviews suggest imo.

3/5

JamesC

I've long been bored of these animated comedy films. While I know they're quality products individually (for the most part), they all seem to have the same sense of humour.

Colin YNWA

Almost three years ago to the day (as it happens from a quick search) there was some discussion here of the film Runaway Train and it came with some great recommendations. Its finally come through on my LoveFilm thingie and I watched it tonight.

What a great little film. A fine example of an apparently simple premise done very well. Some fine performances mastering that  touch trick of making some very unlikable characters and in the case of the warden pretty cliche, still they are all utterly engaging and you really end up caring about them.

The themes are pretty clear and the train metaphor makes for a simple and compelling tale. The ending is utterly fantastic (mind who knew Bryan Talbot made a cameo as a maximum security prisoner) and the whole thing is gripping and chilling in every way.

Hawkmumbler

Would this happen to be the Canon movie, Colin? I've had the BD if that for some time and keep meaning to give it a watch

Colin YNWA

Yeah it is, a Cannon Film that is.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 June, 2016, 06:59:00 AM
Yeah it is, a Cannon Film that is.
Rightho! That'll be getting a watch tomorrow...after The Long Goodbye...and A Blade in the Dark...damn it.

Michael Knight

Runaway train is truely a great film! I had know idea  that Bryan Talbot was in it though? I love Cannon movies. Pure escapism at its best. Masters of the Universe, The death wish sequels, The Delata Force et al! lol

Michael Knight

ps. the documentary 'ELECTRIC BOOGALOO' is worth a watch if you a fan of cannon movies.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Michael Knight on 18 June, 2016, 10:02:41 PM
Runaway train is truely a great film! I had know idea  that Bryan Talbot was in it though? I love Cannon movies. Pure escapism at its best. Masters of the Universe, The death wish sequels, The Delata Force et al! lol

I should point out he's of course not. Its just a look-a-likie as the camera panas across the prisoners at the end. I should also point out my look-a-likies are often disputed.

Edited to add: I've just watched the end again (my wife checked it out this evening after being out last night) and yeah its a solid look-a-likie.

Michael Knight

Doh! Colin mate you got me good lol! I figured he might have had cameo through friends in industry or through storyboards and the like!  :lol:

Spikes

The Runaway Train is a truly superb film. Another for the 'must re-watch asap' list.