Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Norton - I messaged Ming and he sent me some files.

I downloaded Stud.io and set up an account. That enabled me to upload Mings plans for Johnny alpha and that generated the shopping baskets required.

I managed to get all the parts I needed from 2 different suppliers and was able to complete the purchases through Stud.io as well.

Johnny cost about £10.00 inc postage.

The process takes a bit of thought and care, but I managed it so it can't be 'that' bad.

IndigoPrime

Note that there are different ways to order through Bricklink. In short, the more effort you put in, the less you'll pay. So if you take Ming's files, hurl them at Bricklink as a wanted list, and then prod 'Easy Buy', you're going to potentially end up with stores from all over the world – and high shipping costs. But if you import a Want list and manage the stores (keeping them only to the UK and/or EU; possibly shifting pieces about, to minimise store numbers), you can keep costs relatively low.

Right now, my 'Alpha and Wulf' wants list comes in at £19.85+shipping. So that'd probably work out around 30 quid for two Brickheadz when postage is taken into account – not too bad for custom figures, given that standard Brickheadz have been on sale for £10–15.

ming

Quote from: norton canes on 19 November, 2019, 11:30:07 AM
Ah, right, didn't realise these were based on an existing range. Shame!

Lego brought out a range of 'Brickheadz' characters (Batman, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. plus some other movie tie-in stuff like Jack Sparrow / Salazar) and at some point (two years ago!  p27) I thought I'd use some bits that we had lying around to attempt something like this for some characters from 2000AD*.  A lot of people have done something similar with other themes (and done it better than me, I'm sure).

* Mainly as a bit of fun / technical exercise / indoctrination of our younglings.

Quote from: norton canes on 19 November, 2019, 11:30:07 AM
OK, another question (to which I'm sure I could get the answer by reading the thread :)) - do you publish the plans anywhere? And is it easy/cheap to order the right bricks?

Read the thread  :lol:

I don't publish plans anywhere but can stick digital files and rudimentary build instructions on Dropbox or similar for anyone wanting them (use of these may involve some trial and error / reverse engineering but I don't have time / need to do high-end instructions since, for the most part, only I'm making these).  The software I use to put these together (alongside physical bricks for test-builds of some elements) is free and well worth getting: Stud.io.  Using digital files for any characters I've done in Stud.io, it's easy to create a parts list and purchase the necessary bricks through Bricklink, from a huge range of sellers worldwide...  Read the last few pages; there's probably some more information about this side of things there.  Bricks (especially used) are relatively cheap; postage costs can be more of a factor.

EDIT: what Bolt & IP said.

norton canes

Thanks everyone for your prompt and informative replies!

I have messed around with stud.io in the past, as well as having a go at some 'advanced' (and I use the word very cautiously!) constructions with the kids' Lego, so I'll see what I can do... when I get some time  :o

sheridan

ming

Quote from: sheridan on 08 December, 2019, 04:09:31 PM
Someone did a Landraider!

Yeah, we saw that back in 2015 (page 20); impressive stuff.  Would go well with the Laz-saw thing at Mutie Rushmore!

ming

Anyone know of MOCHUB (https://www.mochub.com/index.php/)?

I've just been approached by them about picking out some designs to put out in the wider world (basically I provide the design and instructions and then people can buy the parts online and build the things).  Might be worth a go, but then these are all Rebellion IP so I wouldn't want to tread on any toes...  I'm not that likely to follow up on this but maybe it's worth pondering?

While I'm here I'll add in the latest forum advent effort, just to keep everything in one place (well, two):

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ming

It's been a while I know but there has of course been some 2000AD Lego action going on this (weird) year; something I hinted at in the last Christmas Prog round-up.  Nothing finished yet (you'll see why in due course) but there's been progress and maybe there'll be something in the Christmas Prog this year as well.  I might post a teaser nearer the time but it might be nicer to keep this under wraps for once.

Meanwhile, I never did post up the last annual round-up letter, so may as well do it now.

Colin YNWA

I really hope you and the kids run around making these fight and have battles and stuff. Please say you do that!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 November, 2020, 10:23:55 AM
I really hope you and the kids run around making these fight and have battles and stuff. Please say you do that!

In the world of Lego this is called swooshability.

ming

Quote from: sheridan on 17 November, 2020, 12:16:31 PM

Well they're swooshable to some extent but if anyone messes with GBH's hair there will be tears before bedtime (mine).  The ABCs are probably the most playable of the bunch, even if Mongrol's arms tend to fall off.  However, that allows him to be reborn out of pain on the torture table, so it's all good.

Can't wait to show you what I've been working on but I'll restrain myself!

sheridan

Quote from: ming on 17 November, 2020, 12:33:20 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 17 November, 2020, 12:16:31 PM

Well they're swooshable to some extent but if anyone messes with GBH's hair there will be tears before bedtime (mine).  The ABCs are probably the most playable of the bunch, even if Mongrol's arms tend to fall off.  However, that allows him to be reborn out of pain on the torture table, so it's all good.

Can't wait to show you what I've been working on but I'll restrain myself!

Is this an advent calendar job?

ming

Quote from: sheridan on 17 November, 2020, 03:25:04 PMIs this an advent calendar job?

Nope.  Although I had an idea for something for the advent calendar last week so I should get on with it before I forget; thanks for the reminder  ;)

Colin YNWA

Not sure there's going to be an advent calendar this year? Pete isn't around much these days and I know he was running out of steam on it. Normally there would be a thread to sign up by now so I'm wondering unless someone takes the batton whether it won't be happening.

If not I might try a 'Not Advent calendar thread' for folks to throw up things that they would have put up whenever they fancy as I had a couple of ideas and it might motivate me to draw them!?!