Main Menu

Prog 2151 - The Dark Side Of The Moon!

Started by NapalmKev, 28 September, 2019, 11:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Jacqusie on 05 October, 2019, 07:39:50 PM
He certainly is an artist for all seasons, and to think I once read he was considering packing it all in a while back.

That'd be a bad day for the Prog alright.  I am firmly of the opinion that Colin has been one of the most important artists in the comic's history, almost from his first page, and definitely from Song of the Surfer, a full 30 years ago now.  His work somehow combines weight and lightness in the service of atmosphere, environment and pure storytelling.

broodblik

It will be a bad day in prog heaven when Colin decides to quit. I agree with tordel's take
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I've always found MacNeil's figure work weirdly stiff, but otherwise am a big fan. I actually prefer his new stripped back approach to the fully painted America days. And, yeah, he'd be a colossal loss to Dredd and the Prog alike if he decided to stop. (Amazing to think how long he's been working with 2000 AD, now I think about it.)

Greg M.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 October, 2019, 11:48:14 AM
I've always found MacNeil's figure work weirdly stiff, but otherwise am a big fan. I actually prefer his new stripped back approach to the fully painted America days.

Agreed - both in terms of your assessment of early MacNeil and his current strength. I think he's been on a career high ever since Day of Chaos.

Sinx

I would disagree with a previous comment about Chris Blythe's colours - I think he probably the best colourist currently working on 2000AD. Never heavy handed and always respectful of the artwork.

Frank

Quote from: NapalmKev on 28 September, 2019, 11:19:20 AM
Wraparound Defoe cover by Stewart Kenneth Moore. The ship and cityscape below looks pretty good

... and pretty evil, too. If you treat the image not as a two-dimensional plane but as a five-dimensional hypercube. An Occult Mathematician explains:

Squaxx!....Hold up PROG 2151. Hold it up at an angle and look across the plain of the back cover....

Pat's London follows the post-fire city plan of John Evelyn, but in reality Evelyn's plan was rejected. In the real-world Sir Christopher Wren*, a renowned astronomer at the time, won the day. Evelyn, it would seem, drew a SEPHIROTIC MAP. See links below for plans and examples of 'sacred architecture'.

The John Evelyn map is the Sepher Yetzirah but only takes up a small part of old London....too small for me, so in my version of 'clockpunk' London the Evilyn map forms the centre point of a much vaster London-sized Sepher Yetzirah -- one that has special engineering importance.

British engineers have put it to work! LONDON IS A MACHINE that bridges the Thames in several places. In this way it is like a tesseract, a mathematical object and personal obsession of mine for decades....the tesseract is already closely related to the tree of life. It is a HYPERCUBE -- a cube within a cube.

In casting its shadow we make a 2 dimensional animation of a 5 dimensional object, you have to HOLD UP THE TESSERACT JUST THE RIGHT WAY. But that's another story. You will see many tesseracts everywhere in The Divisor - the panels are detailed for a reason, filled with easter eggs just for you!

The bite point of EXTRUDED cubes appears on page 4, panel 5 of episode 8 because an extruded cube can also be.....well, you will have to read episode 8 of The Divisor.

I have alluded to many things in science fiction and horror, horror comedy, and classical art. I am a comic fanatic and an art history fanatic. Here's an example. Do you see it?

SQUAXX, If you hold up Prog 2151 and you look across its picture plain you see another dimension, not a cube. You see Death:

It is a homage to a great master - Hans Holbein the Younger. Buy the Prog and visit the National Gallery in London to see the original, The Ambassadors, by Hans Holbien. More to come in COVERS UNCOVERED ...

Hypercubes: https://youtu.be/UnURElCzGc0

Sacred architecture: https://www.eyeofthepsychic.com/treelifecities

* The Sephirotic Union Jack that runs up the side of the Sir Isaac Newton (SIN) contains the legend 'as above, so below'. In EC comics letterforms could become images - most famously with THE END made of the water ripples and bubbles that follow a drowning man. Will Eisner was the master of it, though he wasn't an EC artist. When I was drawing one sequence I saw a possible word emerging, I didn't define it. I leaned into it though. In The Shining suggestions are placed throughout to make you uneasy. Similarly I suggested SIN If you look at the Defoe episode in which they descend into the pit the lamplight of the the 3 bottom panels hints at the letters S ... I....N.

TordelBack

That is groovy! Although I managed to get a papescutcheon on my nose on the process, it was worth it. NoWorth engaged on an interim re-read...

TordelBack

Ah FFS, this out of hand -  how do I turn off this predictive shite? Why would it think I was trying to write 'escutcheon'when I wanted 'cut'? "Paper cut".

IndigoPrime

I for one think 'papescutcheon' is an excellent word.

JayzusB.Christ

Cheers,  Frank, that's actually amazing. Reminds me of the hours of fun I would have with my parents' Steeleye Span sleeve as a kid. https://www.amazon.com/All-Around-Hat-STEELEYE-SPAN/dp/B000000E7L
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"