Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: mogzilla on 16 March, 2013, 10:23:05 AM
reliving my wasted youth with some def leppard

You know the bit in The Wrestler where Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei are talking about how bands used to know how to rock and how to party, "and then that asshole Kurt Cobain came along and ruined everything"?  The Blackout sound like they've taken that as their personal manifesto - why are the only rock bands nowadays Welsh?

ChickenStu

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 March, 2013, 12:13:51 AM
Quote from: ChickenStu on 15 March, 2013, 11:49:24 PM
Digging Bowie's new one. Heavy replay value.

Yup. I'm loving it. Uncovering new stuff with every replay.

Yeah, The Stars Come Out Tonight is like classic Bowie from the 80's. All in all, not bad for a 66 year old.  :)
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Frank

The Big Meg by Z Stacks, which I found through tranquilvoid's makedreddasequel facebook page. It's very pub rock, and Sinitta and Simon Cowell would make them ditch their Russell T Davies singer during boot camp, but I find any acknowledgment of Dredd and 2000ad by artists in other media fascinating. I nearly shat myself when Spaced used the death of Johnny Alpha as a metaphor for traumatic loss.

Remember to like it, chaps.

Spikes

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 March, 2013, 12:38:59 PM
Phil Spector's little symphonies for the kids

Ronnie Spector is as fine an example of the human race as her ex-husband isn't (genius aside). My favourite description of Ronnie's voice (Scorsese's, I think) is that - compared to the white bread artists of her day -  she evoked the night, the street, grease, sweat, and the misery and the danger of sex. In her autobiography, she brags about fucking Dave Bowie - I think he got the better half of that deal. She tells a great story about Phil's afro wig.

In other news, the guyliner has been streaming down my face like ink from a chip wrapper discarded in an overflowing gutter at the news that My Chemical Romance have split.  Emo either left me cold or laughing hysterically, but MCR were always much more musically interesting and culturally engaged than their peers, and were ultimately just a great rock band - one of the few you'll hear on mainstream radio nowadays. I'm off to paint my bedroom my bedroom black.

NA, NA, NA, NA (with added Grant Morrison)

THE BLACK PARADE

TEENAGERS

SAVE YOURSELF, I'LL HOLD THEM BACK

VAMPIRE MONEY

Aonghus

Frank

Quote from: Aonghus on 24 March, 2013, 12:07:10 PM
Chilling to Purity Ring, and feeling very hip altogether :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj5tPBnjVC8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

You are a groovy fucker, Aonghus. Cheers for that.

Frank

The nation's number one. So you don't hate me, here's something good instead:   NOT DAFT AT ALL

ChickenStu

Dave Grohl's soundtrack to his documentary Sound City: Real To Reel is WELL worth a listen. Features contributions from Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor and Stevie Nicks as well as many many more. Superb album.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Spikes

Despite coming from the wrong side of the Humber, Mick Ronson was such a cool dude/genius guitarist that i wont hold that against him,  ;)

Zarjazzer

The Long Ryders DVD of their re-union in London 2004.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Frank

... to tour without Tom Araya, Dave Lombardo or Jeff Hanneman. In what sense is that Slayer?

qtwerk

I bought The Predator by Ice Cube to listen to in the car.

Quite brilliant and 20 years after release it still knocks most modern hiphop into a cocked do-rag

Sideshow Bob

Have been downloading my record collection and am currently listening to  :

Rory Gallagher : Irish Tour 74... some really great Blues guitar / rock playing here..
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band :  Helps if you are Scottish when listening to this...but great anyway.
David Gilmour : Live in GDansk : Lots of Floyd stuff and also his own material..
Steve Earle : Copperhead Road
Maverick Sabre : Lonely are the Brave
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

DoomBot

Hawkwind gig: Preston. Fabulous...