Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I used to love Grant Morrison and Dave McKean's Arkham Asylum when it first came out. I was young, a big Morrison fan (still am) and loved Dave McKean's stuff. So having read it again for the first time in years tonight I was pretty surprised to discover I didn't particularly enjoy it. Its so overwrought... or maybe even aspires to be. Both art and writing. I'm not sure if its time that's done it a disservice and in its day it was innovative, but read now it just seemed trite and desperate to impress with how clever it all was. Yes even Dave McKean's art, looking to me now like a poor man's Sienkwicz, with none of the real energy of the great Bill's. It feels forced and as a result hackneyed.

What a disappointment. Still hours of pleasure as a kid, so shouldn't look too harshly at it I guess.

Davek

Just finished The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz - a new Sherlock Holmes story. This felt close in style to the originals, although a few moments felt un-Holmes like...

shaolin_monkey

I wanted to re-read Zombo, but couldn't find it on the Cardiff library catalogue. I bought a second hand copy from Amazon Marketplace, and condition was marked as 'good'. Total cost inc p&p £6.00.  It turned up, and was brand bloody new - not a mark on it!  Don't you love it when that happens?!?

Link Prime

You're a lucky man Shaolin. Just about every book / graphic novel I ever bought online arrived looking like a raspberry roulade

Dandontdare

Days of the Bagnold Summer - one of the Costa book winners,a  nicely observed tale of a metal-loving teen and his single mum.

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 March, 2013, 02:23:58 PM
I wanted to re-read Zombo, but couldn't find it on the Cardiff library catalogue. I bought a second hand copy from Amazon Marketplace, and condition was marked as 'good'. Total cost inc p&p £6.00.  It turned up, and was brand bloody new - not a mark on it!  Don't you love it when that happens?!?

That's great news, shaolin_monkey! I also had a similar stroke of luck with Tharg's Terror Tales. It's a great feeling when you get a better copy than the one described! I really wanna get Zombo too, but it'll have to wait until the end of the month.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

hippynumber1

Comics wise - just finished reading 'The Bulletproof Coffin' and 'The Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred'; bloody astonishing stuff.

Book - currently two-thirds of the way through the 'Gormenghast' trilogy.  Such a beautifully written series of books.  There's a real lyricism to the narrative that reminds me in many ways of 'The Once and Future King'.  Unfortunately, it seems to be a writing style that has fallen out of fashion but I absolutely love it...

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 March, 2013, 02:23:58 PM

Shaolin_monkey,  could you please tell me the contents of the version you bought, ie if it included two series' and a Christmas special? I'm a little confused because Amazon lists it as 96 pages, whereas The Book Depository says 116 pages! (they have two versions it seems, one with the green cover and the other, red. It doesn't say whether U.S or U.K publication). The last thing i want is to buy a copy and find out it's missing stuff, like i did with Red Seas. Your help will be much appreciated!  cheers!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mikey

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 24 March, 2013, 09:19:59 PM
Book - currently two-thirds of the way through the 'Gormenghast' trilogy.  Such a beautifully written series of books.  There's a real lyricism to the narrative that reminds me in many ways of 'The Once and Future King'.  Unfortunately, it seems to be a writing style that has fallen out of fashion but I absolutely love it...

Welcome to the club my man.

I've just finished the collected Essex County by Jeff Lemire. I thought it was excellent, really loved the style of it - I could feel the regret, frustration and deflated hopes coming off the page and also the chill of the hockey rink. I'd maybe even describe it as plangent - a word I learned from Gormenghast many years ago  ;)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mabs on 26 March, 2013, 11:52:47 AM
...could you please tell me the contents of the version you bought, ie if it included two series' and a Christmas special? I'm a little confused because Amazon lists it as 96 pages, whereas The Book Depository says 116 pages! (they have two versions it seems, one with the green cover and the other, red. It doesn't say whether U.S or U.K publication). The last thing i want is to buy a copy and find out it's missing stuff, like i did with Red Seas.

Mabs - there's currently only one Zombo trade (Can I Eat you, Please?. It collects the first two series and Christmas Special.  However, there is also a US edition, which is the red/white cover (UK is the green one). Far as I can make out though the contents are exactly the same.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 March, 2013, 03:24:49 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 26 March, 2013, 11:52:47 AM
...could you please tell me the contents of the version you bought, ie if it included two series' and a Christmas special? I'm a little confused because Amazon lists it as 96 pages, whereas The Book Depository says 116 pages! (they have two versions it seems, one with the green cover and the other, red. It doesn't say whether U.S or U.K publication). The last thing i want is to buy a copy and find out it's missing stuff, like i did with Red Seas.

Mabs - there's currently only one Zombo trade (Can I Eat you, Please?. It collects the first two series and Christmas Special.  However, there is also a US edition, which is the red/white cover (UK is the green one). Far as I can make out though the contents are exactly the same.

Thanks for clearing that up, Dark Jimbo - much appreciated! I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy now!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

shaolin_monkey

Yep, two series + Xmas special. Sorry for late reply!

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 26 March, 2013, 06:03:17 PM
Yep, two series + Xmas special. Sorry for late reply!

No problem, shaolin_monkey. Now i have to wait until i get paid before going on a spending spree!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

grthink

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 March, 2013, 08:41:01 PM
I used to love Grant Morrison and Dave McKean's Arkham Asylum when it first came out. I was young, a big Morrison fan (still am) and loved Dave McKean's stuff. So having read it again for the first time in years tonight I was pretty surprised to discover I didn't particularly enjoy it. Its so overwrought... or maybe even aspires to be. Both art and writing. I'm not sure if its time that's done it a disservice and in its day it was innovative, but read now it just seemed trite and desperate to impress with how clever it all was. Yes even Dave McKean's art, looking to me now like a poor man's Sienkwicz, with none of the real energy of the great Bill's. It feels forced and as a result hackneyed.

What a disappointment. Still hours of pleasure as a kid, so shouldn't look too harshly at it I guess.

I hadn't read it until Summer last year, and it came with all the weight of it being the most successful graphic novel of all time and blah blah blah but I couldn't agree more with you, and I didn't really enjoy it at all. I can't actually think of anything by Morrison that I've actually really enjoyed -- which I know leaves me in a very small minority, but there you have it.

Link Prime

Quote from: grthink on 27 March, 2013, 11:24:00 AM
I can't actually think of anything by Morrison that I've actually really enjoyed -- which I know leaves me in a very small minority, but there you have it.

If that includes 'Zenith', 'JLA: Rock of Ages' and 'WE3' then I will pray for your immortal soul grthink!

By the way- I don't rate Arkham Asylum too highly either!