Main Menu

Another "I stopped reading in the 90s" guy right here

Started by grthink, 14 September, 2012, 01:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grthink

Hello all,

Just thought I'd stick with convention and say hello. As stated in the subject, I stopped reading some time around 1995/1996 as a teen when I moved abroad with my family, and when I returned I was too into girls/booze/cigarettes to return to comics. Only really came back with the return of Indigo Prime last year.

It will quickly emerge (so I may as well state it here) that John Smith is one of my biggest influences as an artist as well as my favourite writer. 'Killing Time' and 'Revere' got lodged in my unconscious when I was 11 or 12 and have been seeping out ever since. Currently reading 'The New Statesmen' for the first time, which is incredible on so many levels.

Still playing catch-up on everything else -- slowly making my way through the Dredd collected editions as I can afford them.

For anyone who's interested, I'm an artist/illustrator in my spare time, working my way through my own experimental comic 'The Intercorstal' Links to my work below:

Website here: http://www.grthink.com
My blog is here: http://garethahopkins.blogspot.com
Intercorstal blog is here: http://intercorstal.blogspot.com

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard. As you say John Smith is a bit of a genius isn't he. Even given John Wagner I think he's my favourite 2000ad writer (and therefore very possibly writer).

You lucky bugger to be reading New Statesmen for the first time, not only John Smith but brilliant, brilliant Jim Baike art too. A true wonder that one.

Have fun.

Greg M.

Greetings. Yes, John Smith is a god, bestriding 2000AD like a slightly lethargic colossus, intermittently showering us with his glory. If you haven't already caught up with 'Cradlegrave', I reckon it should be a priority in your catch-upping - it might just be the great man's magnum opus.

Dandontdare

welcome aboard. Yup, a familar story - damn those girls/booze/cigarettes for leading so many off the path of True Thrillpower!

auxlen

indeed a familiar story but i envy you...so many great stories to read for the first time.

grthink

Thanks for the welcome chaps!

Colin: Finished New Statesmen today, and as much fun as the first read through was, I'm immediately going to do a second one which I'm sure I'll enjoy even more. Because I'll be honest I got a little lost toward the end haha

Greg: Cradlegrave was the first thing I caught up on when I decided to catch up, and really enjoyed it. I think someone's said it elsewhere, but it would make a great film -- and one of the only Smith stories you wouldn't need an extortionate budget to do justice to.

Dandontdare: I'll be honest, at the time the girls/booze combo felt a lot like thrillpower.

auxlen: Yep, catching up is pretty awesome. Most of the time. I re-read Time Flies which I recall really enjoying when I was a young teen, and was sorry to see it's not aged too well.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Colin YNWA

Quote from: grthink on 14 September, 2012, 09:55:44 PM

Colin: Finished New Statesmen today, and as much fun as the first read through was, I'm immediately going to do a second one which I'm sure I'll enjoy even more. Because I'll be honest I got a little lost toward the end haha

Funnily enough here's what I thought (and did) when I read it again for the first time in years last year...

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33756.0.html

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 September, 2012, 03:08:38 PM
welcome aboard. Yup, a familar story - damn those girls/booze/cigarettes for leading so many off the path of True Thrillpower!

Dandontdare: I'll be honest, at the time the girls/booze combo felt a lot like thrillpower.

Yeah, it was only the fact that my mum kept it on the weekly paper bill for years while I was off being a student/traveller/squatter/temp that I managed to stick it through the nineties. She subsequently moaned for years for me to shift the bloody things out of the loft though!

grthink

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 September, 2012, 10:12:51 PM

Funnily enough here's what I thought (and did) when I read it again for the first time in years last year...

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33756.0.html

For some reason there's no Reply button on that post, so when I'm ready to really start talknig about it, am I going to have to start a new topic?

Anyway: Agree on Baike, but Sean Phillips is the star on that series in my opinion, in the Epilogue episodes. Although Fegredo has some pretty impressive moments too.

grthink

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 September, 2012, 10:19:22 PM
Yeah, it was only the fact that my mum kept it on the weekly paper bill for years while I was off being a student/traveller/squatter/temp that I managed to stick it through the nineties. She subsequently moaned for years for me to shift the bloody things out of the loft though!

All my old progs (500-odd), Yearbooks and specials are still in my mum's loft. Not yet found a space for them in my own home, so the task of sorting them will have to wait. I also imagine sorting them out will take days, as there's little doubt in my mind that I'll sit there and read them all one-by-one as I go.

Dandontdare

Quote from: grthink on 14 September, 2012, 10:36:54 PM

All my old progs (500-odd), Yearbooks and specials are still in my mum's loft. Not yet found a space for them in my own home, so the task of sorting them will have to wait. I also imagine sorting them out will take days, as there's little doubt in my mind that I'll sit there and read them all one-by-one as I go.

hahah yeah, every time I got sent up to the loft to get something, I'd be gone for hours as I was reading old progs that I hadn't seen for years!

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

AlpineNewt

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 September, 2012, 03:08:38 PM

You're lucky she kept them, my Mum stuck about eight years worth (1988 - 1996) in the bin!