Main Menu

Word program Advice

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 12 December, 2014, 05:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

As I can't afford Word For Windows and don't have the luxury of the internet at home...

Can someone recommend a good word processor program that would be compatible with word for windows documents.

Don't need anything very fancy... just something tat will enable me to continue with work I already have and stuff my Drama group will send me.

Professor Bear

Openoffice will do the job, but Wordpad (which should already be installed on your Windows PC) will also open Word documents for you.

I have heard good word of mouth about Libreoffice, too.

Dandontdare

yeah, OpenOffice is free and does pretty much everything word does.

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks. However I am blocked from downloading it in the Library. Might try an internet cafe with my memory stick though.

TordelBack

Agreed about OpenOffice, it's a marvel, but personally I find its offshoot LibreOffice marginally more user-friendly, especially for complicated document layouts, and the spreadsheet seems slightly more biddable too*.  Make sure to grab the PDF manuals from the website as well.

*Although the fact that OpenOffice has an almost-workable Android port has meant I'm drifting back in that direction.

amines2058

Why not try Microsoft office online www.office.com or something like that. create edit and share word documents online. No I do not work for Microsoft by the way!  :D

The Doctor Alt 8

Because I am only allowed 2 hours in the library per day... And I do have other things to do in that time...

Banners

I'm glad to see you back on the board, but do you ever take any of this advice that is freely given on numerous subjects, time after time?

You asked the very same thing in 2011 and got pretty much the same answers.

GordonR

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 12 December, 2014, 11:45:59 PM
Because I am only allowed 2 hours in the library per day... And I do have other things to do in that time...

Like posting mental requests for loans of men's wigs on a comic forum when there must be theatrical group messageboards you'd have better luck on?

The Doctor Alt 8

You don't know much about theatrical groups do you? Co operation is NOT  what they do... Believe me I have been involved with them for 20 plus years... And you never know what other people may have and want to get rid of.....

Your searching old post subjects isn't that easy either. And doesn't things change? What was good in 2011 might be out of date in 2014.

Dark Jimbo

If only there was some sort of online one-stop shop for all your bizzarre queries. Somewhere more suited to questions about wigs and WH Smiths gift cards than a forum for a British sci-fi comic. A place you could simply type your keywords into and recieve thousands of matching (and relevant) websites in a matter of seconds. You could call it something like... Google, to pluck a name out of the air.
@jamesfeistdraws

Banners

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8You don't know much about theatrical groups do you? Co operation is NOT  what they do... Believe me I have been involved with them for 20 plus years...

I don't believe you. I'm involved in local theatre. I have performed, written, directed, worked backstage and in front of house at numerous amateur companies. I do marketing and publicity work for several theatres and have strong links with people who run the Little Theatre Guild. Whilst there are often certain 'theatricals' with big egos, my experience is that different local groups are formed by some of the very nicest people around, who regularly help each other out, for free, with requests for obscure props or costumes etc..

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8Searching old post subjects isn't that easy either. And doesn't things change? What was good in 2011 might be out of date in 2014.

My point is not that you should have searched for old posts but, rather, to wonder what have you been using all this time? Presumably, in April 2011, you would have taken our collective advice, downloaded OpenOffice or LibreOffice and have been happily using the software since then for your various creative endeavours. Instead, if you didn't do that, then it appears that for over three years - more time than it takes for two people to create a new life or for mankind to put a Rover on Mars - you've been struggling with the same old software.

I don't want to be mean, but you seem to have a habit of knocking back any advice that is given.

I need a wig. Contact some local groups. No.
Credit on a gift voucher expires? Yes. I don't believe you.
My Kindle has Windows 8.2 on it. No it doesn't. Yes it does.
My gizmo is wet. Put it in rice. Really? Yes. What kind of rice?

We're nice people here. So, by all means, please ask our advice. But please do act on it. That way, you're more likely to sort out your problems (and indeed Henry's), and you would have been enjoying less hassle in your word processing endeavours for over three years now.