Main Menu

Who has sent a script?

Started by willthemightyW, 26 June, 2010, 08:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

Hi, Has anyone sent in a futureshock script to 2000ad? If so, share experiences, opinions, advice etc. here.
Many thanks!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Colin YNWA

I've sent two and all I can say is if at first you don't succeed try try again and get feedback from as many places as possible.

Oh and trust your story is good. You're probably wrong (I was mind weren't)but if you don't you won't do it.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

strontium_dog_90

I've sent one before, and even though I got a rejection letter back with it, I was pretty chuffed with that, as there was some constructive criticism on the script, some helpful advice. That really helped out, and I took it on board for future scripts. So I'd have to say that even a letter saying 'no' is a good thing to get, in this instance.

Pauul

I sent one in last week. I wrote five, got feedback from my peers on which was the best and how each could be improved (luckily I'm on a screenwriting course and so are my mates, so I get good feedback), picked one and sent it in. Maybe the people at 2000AD wont think it's any good but you don't get anywhere without taking chances.

strontium71

I sent a sample script and a synopsis for a Dredd novel back when they were asking for authors for the Virgin novel line.
Mine was called 'The Law of Red' and involved a team up between Durham Red and Judge Dredd involving all sorts of timey-wimey shenanigans.
Rebecca Levine herself turned it down. Fair enough , it was probably not very saleable. Although the main bugbear from their point of view was that I'd used Vienna Dredd in the story and was told she was a character best not used as she was an 'inconsistent contradictory' character. This was obviously before Wagner came up with how she could have been conceived by Rico on Titan.
Still , I still have the sample script and part manuscript in a post dated sealed envelope juuust in case anyone uses my ideas. :lol:
...because I hate you.

Buttonman

My seminal 'Plan:Hit Earth' got the thumbs down for being too great. That and having no plot and being derivative or something.

I did enjoy the process and it showed me that as a script writer I make a darn fine personal injury claims handler.

bluemeanie

I've sent in three and had two come back, both with cool comments I could work on.

The third has either got lost in the pile somewhere or they are just waiting for Bisley to finish painting it before they give me the good news   :lol:

Currently throwing around my fourth attempt which I'll send off early next week.

Had a very cool experience of posting on my facebook that I'd got a 2000AD rejection letter and had comments from amongst others Rufus Dayglo saying "Welcome to the club".

Zarjazzer

i used to send them stuff but stopped because I never got any reply because they hate me. And my stories were shit.  Or was it I had forgotten to put enough postage on?
Um- :-\
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've sent about half dozen or so in the last eighteen months.

With one exception, the feedback has been general. By that I mean the feedback talks about the script in general without going into detail about what is going on in it. That's not a criticism of Matt Smith; I suspect he sees a dozen scripts with the same problems as mine every day, and it's jolly decent to get any kind of constructive criticism.

A couple of scripts have come back with the comment that there is not enough going on to sustain the five pages. One came back with the comment that too much was going on (it's tricky, that balance thing).

The exception was a fairly detailed commentary (suggesting re-balancing the story, explaining why a character didn't work).

And the last one came back with no comment at all (other than the generic "not suitable at this time").

Turn around times have varied wildly. One took nine months, one took six. The last one took less than a week - sent out on Tuesday 15th of this month, back Monday 21st. I suspect this depends on what other interesting stuff is going on at The Command Module (am I showing my age there?).

Sent off another one today, as I'm keen to keep trying. If nothing else, the title is a contender for Worst Pun Ever.
Lock up your spoons!

willthemightyW

They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Pauul

I'm looking forward to getting feedback from 2000ad, even if it is negative. You can only improve your writing if you know how it is flawed. Hope it doesn't take too long for them to get back to me.

chaingunchimp

I have had one rejected script so far.
Just coming up with more script ideas to bombard them with at the mo.
:lol:
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/