If only to have that artwork.....

Where's Rufus when I need him?!?!?!?!
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Large48

If only to have that artwork.....

Where's Rufus when I need him?!?!?!?!
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Woolly

Ron Smith - One of the greatest droids of all time!

It'd be nice to think Tharg would at least ask him if he wanted to do a final StarScan or something.

Then again, isnt Ron quoted as saying he'll never work for 2000AD again? Something to do with the Bish-Op era?

Hope im wrong...

IndigoPrime

Mm. A one-off from Smith would be fab. Frankly, it's easy to dismiss he guy, since his style wasn't as dynamic and vibrant as some other artists. However, when you read through the Case Files, it's apparent just how many important Judge Dredd stories he illustrated, and what a good, solid job he did on Dredd (not least the Graveyard Shift, which remains one of my all-time favourite Dredds).

I think he got stuffed with a load of really ropey scripts, and so some might have forgotten just how instrumental the guy was during Dredd's early years. (Then again, Chronos Carnival was just about bearable solely because of the artworkâ??certainly, I never really cared for the scripts.)

monty--

For me, Ron Smith is THE ultimate Dredd artist. No one can draw that Dredd chin better than Ron Smith. Although not as detailed as other artists such as Bolland, Ron Smith added a depth to his drawings that was so fantastically interesting. Prog 389 (I think?), Question of Judgement is one of my all time favourite prog covers.  

Robin Low

Another Ron Smith fan here. He drew Dredd in a highly realistic way, and I actually rate him even more highly than Bolland or Gibbons who have a similarly realistic style. What's more, he could make the weird stuff look convincing, too.

Regards

Robin

Pete Wells

Yet another Ron Smith fan here!

People always wobble on about MC1 and it's citizens being the real stars of Dredd (something I tend to disagree with, for me it's Dredd and the system, but that's for another thread.) However, in my opinion Smith was possibly the greatest artist for capturing the lunacy of city and it's inhabitants.

I loved how his art had the realistic qualities mentioned throughout this thread yet the craziness of his citizens was sublime! He was simply brilliant at bringing the city to life.

I think he's a big miss and I'd love him to have one last great story to bow out on with deserved style. Please Thargy?

Wils

the craziness of his citizens was sublime!

Where you could also play 'Spot the Celeb'. I'm pretty sure I've seen him insert likenesses of Ronnie Corbett and Eddie Waring for a start.

Trout

Ah, King Cobra.

Nobody knew Bill King was secretly King Cobra, even though King Cobra never wore a mask...

He's an inspiration to me.

My favourite Ron Smith was (IIRC) his first - the episode he did of the Day the Law Died. Round helmets and lots of movement.

And nobody did uglies like Ron.

- Trout

W. R. Logan

Thank you for the message of love but at the moment i'm in Australia.
If no ones put up a pic I'll do it on my return, thats if they can drag me on to the plane kicking and screaming when its time to leave.

Funt Solo

He'll never come back from the sunny land of Oz, so you'll have to make do with my digicam effort:

http://www.amenable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/warWheels.jpg" />
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Floyd-the-k

Smith has his moments, but for me he also has moments where the characters look as though they're acting the story badly.  

Siku is my unsung great - he did some brilliant work on Dredd in both his styles

Peter Wolf

I had forgotten about that scene.Its astonishingly good.I may still have the prog that contains it but i am not sure.I would love to own the original art.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JayzusB.Christ

ANyone remember his 'Mat Sushiro' ad for some toy or other? I vaguely do
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"