Main Menu

Post Apocalypse Books

Started by Ignatzmonster, 28 November, 2007, 05:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatzmonster

Wife's an avid reader of post apocalypse stories and I wanted to get her some as a stocking stuffer but I don't know the genre that well. Any suggestions?

She's read and enjoyed:
The Road, Walking Dead, WW "Z", On the Beach, DMZ.

Did not like Alas Babylon.

Dudley

She sounds like a cheerful sort!

You could do worse than try her on Bearheart: The Heirship Chronicles by Gerald Vizenor - a Native American take on the aftermath of apocalypse.  Very strange, very violent (and, I warn you, occasionally quite sexually perverse), but a great and very funny read nonetheless.

Dark Jimbo

John Wyndham did it very well in a stiff-upper-lipped 1950s way - Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids are both excellent.
@jamesfeistdraws

satchmo

The Kraken Wakes is a good one too.

Chrysalids is the most post apocalypsey.

El Spurioso

*cough*

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Culled-Afterblight-Chronicles-Si-Spurrier/dp/1905437013/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196280422&sr=8-1" target="_blank">Ahrum.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5134S4VX2FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg">

JayzusB.Christ

Nah, wouldn't bother with The Culled, mate, it's a sack of shit.

...only joking, Si, haven't actually got round to reading it yet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trout

I'll get a slagging for it, I'm sure, but I really liked The Postman by David Brin.

Shite film, though.

- Trout

Eldritch

Lord of the Flies and A Canticle for Leibowitz are great, too.

gurnard

Just reading the Culled at the moment, enjoying it immensely.

W. R. Logan

Eldritch

Also, I'm halfway through Blindness by Jose Saramago, about a city being struck blind. While not strictly post-apocalypse it is starting to rival The Road for bleak horror.

Pyroxian

SamuelAWilkinson

Lord of the Flies? Post apocalyptic?

Pull the other one, it's got murderous tribal boys on it.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Richmond Clements

Pyroxian got there before me:

The Stand is the daddy.

Eldritch

"Lord of the Flies? Post apocalyptic?

Pull the other one, it's got murderous tribal boys on it."

Set against a nuclear war.