Main Menu

Suffering from Slaine Burnout.... Only one man can help me now....

Started by Van Dom, 09 September, 2009, 10:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dom

Woah!!! That must have taken a while to type!
I know who you remind me of at last TS - Harry Knowles! The way he writes his movie reviews by telling you all about his whole day and everything else he did before actually going to the cinema to watch the movie! You're our very own Harry!

Thanks for taking the time to reply but it sounds like you are even more confused than I am, what with not even having the story in English. Christ man! Its incomprehensible enough in English let alone Dutch, German, Italian and French!!!!!!!!!! You're a braver man than me!

Anyway, having made it to the end of Grail War, this is what I now believe is going on.

So theres the Cyth and theres Mother Nature and they are at war. The Cyth try to restrain humans with religion and order, Mother Nature tries to free them using Slaine as her tool.

The people who kidnapped Niamh/Marion are not Cyth.  They are apparently fairy/elf type people who used to follow the ways of Mother Nature but got pissed off when humans starting obeying the Cyth. They became evil themselves and want to destroy all humans. So they stole the Grail stone, the stone of destiny, and are using that to brainwash humans into believing life is bad and making them want to die, or something. By erasing humans they take away the Cyths power source and strand them. And they stick two fingers up at the Goddess in the process.

The Goddess wants her stone back and only Slaine can get it which is why she gets him to work with the Christians for the first time, as this is the only way he will get close to the stone to steal it back.

As for my Simon Le Bon comment, I do know who he is but at the time of writing my original post I couldnt remember the proper name of the character I was talking about and Simon Le Bon was the closest thing that came to mind!

Ive really read enough Slaine at this stage to last me a lifetime and yet I know there are ten million more episodes of it to come between progs 1100 and 1500. Nevertheless, I will soldier on and read them as I get to them, just so I can say Ive done it.

Thank you again very much for your reply TS/
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Mike Gloady

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 September, 2009, 07:24:39 PM
TS, you as are a god to me.  That was simply maxinerd.
Or, as we translate that word round these parts - "that was simply Thryllseeker"

TS, you are a legend.  Don't ever change.  Promise me.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dandontdare

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 11 September, 2009, 03:51:31 PM
THE REST OF MY POST.....

Quoting Dantondare.....

QuoteI think I stopped paying attention to the ins and outs of Slaine continuity around the time Merlin popped up with Hat of many Penises and his (shudder) 'Leyser' pistols.

Concerning Myirrdin's unique headgear.I love it. and the outfit that goes with it. I 'd be tempted to wear one of thee myself if I could find a place that sell them.

I would pay good money to see a photo of that!

Best line? - this one:

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 11 September, 2009, 03:27:27 PM
"Den Korper Einer Frau"
I think "Korper" means "Body"
"Einer" mean "I" or "Me"
"Frau" mean "Woman"
If thats correct, then this version is written in German.
That one made me laugh long and hard.  ;D Good on ya. TS!

maryanddavid

QuoteI just can't get enough of the one that salmon leaps with axe in hand while wearing brightly coloured tarten breeches.

Absolutly one hundred percent agree with this, Slaine is at its best when transplanted straight into an Irish myth, ursurping the role of whatever hero would have appeared in the original tale, whether he is one of the red branch knight, Lugh , or CuChulain, these stories like Sky chariots and The Horned God, define the story for me.

The Time travel alway felt like Pat had read a book and thought it would be cool to include time travel and 'Leyser Guns!' into the story.

The only time trave story that worked for me  is the one in the 1985 annual in 1014, cant remember the name of it. Other that that when I see time Travel, Elfric, El Worlds, Guildig I switch off.
To be fair to Mills, Sky Chariots is probably my single favourite piece in 2000ad,and in comics, ever. I  really like Charlie the robot too, Mills has the ability to thrill and leave you wondering 'what the' within a few pages, 2000ad would be a poorer place without him.

David

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting Van Dom.....

QuoteWoah!!! That must have taken a while to type!
I know who you remind me of at last TS - Harry Knowles! The way he writes his movie reviews by telling you all about his whole day and everything else he did before actually going to the cinema to watch the movie! You're our very own Harry!
Harry Knowles...... . I just found him on wikipedia and so,,,,, thats the  fellow from "Ain't It Cool News" and I would seem that the only thing we have in common is  that he was actuelly born exactly day after I was.

Quoting Van Dom.....
QuoteThanks for taking the time to reply but it sounds like you are even more confused than I am, what with not even having the story in English. Christ man! Its incomprehensible enough in English let alone Dutch, German, Italian and French!!!!!!!!!! You're a braver man than me!

Anyway, having made it to the end of Grail War, this is what I now believe is going on.

So theres the Cyth and theres Mother Nature and they are at war. The Cyth try to restrain humans with religion and order, Mother Nature tries to free them using Slaine as her tool.

The people who kidnapped Niamh/Marion are not Cyth. They are apparently fairy/elf type people who used to follow the ways of Mother Nature but got pissed off when humans starting obeying the Cyth. They became evil themselves and want to destroy all humans. So they stole the Grail stone, the stone of destiny, and are using that to brainwash humans into believing life is bad and making them want to die, or something. By erasing humans they take away the Cyths power source and strand them. And they stick two fingers up at the Goddess in the process.

The Goddess wants her stone back and only Slaine can get it which is why she gets him to work with the Christians for the first time, as this is the only way he will get close to the stone to steal it back.
It seems you have wrapped up.Your commentry sounds better than any explantion I tired concocting.

You see,  I'm more the student of Slaine rather than the professor.

Quoting Van Dom.....
QuoteAs for my Simon Le Bon comment, I do know who he is but at the time of writing my original post I couldnt remember the proper name of the character I was talking about and Simon Le Bon was the closest thing that came to mind!

Strange that you don't know Simon Le Bon. famous lead singer of trendy uk band Duran Duran. ( yeah some character from Barbarella). Not that that the bands music suited my personal taste, but right now I find that I miss that I miss their particular brand of background noise. Their hair styles and clothing that I would never be caught dead in..

Back then he could have been a French Celtic Gaul looking Slaine......

And now if he had a beard and with that hair, he might make for a convincing Simon De Montfort. ....

Simon De Montfort, supposedly a real dude in history. Possibly worth researching perhaps if you want to understand his role in this Grail War story better.

Quoting Van Dom.....

QuoteIve really read enough Slaine at this stage to last me a lifetime and yet I know there are ten million more episodes of it to come between progs 1100 and 1500. Nevertheless, I will soldier on and read them as I get to them, just so I can say Ive done it.

If you think you's read too much slaine already and fear  what is to be read of him beyond prog 1100, then I think the worst is overin terms of those time-travelling stories that place Slaine in possition working for or against some real historical figures.. Apart from "The Secret Comonwelth" it should all be smooth sailing. I particaully enjoyed reading "Kai" and "The Banishing" The artwork. Diffferent, but good as always. Stories like "The Triple Death",  and "Beyond" as well as the "Slaine" Poster Prog not listed below serve as more links. Joiner's connecting the other Slaine stories, smoothing out the continueity  rather than being actual stories of any significance themselves. Books Of Invasions became a very exciting time for Slaine once again. Not since the HOr5ned God has it been given som much attentiuon and ye ta few people might find insulting or that Slaine isn't really doing anything more interesting than just carrying a large axe, and knowing how to use it.

Lord of the Beasts" (with Rafael Garres, in 2000 AD #1100)
"Kai" (with Paul Staples, in 2000 AD #1104-1107)
"The Banishing" (with Wayne Reynolds, in 2000 AD #1108-1109)
"The Triple Death" (with Wayne Reynolds, in 2000 AD #1111)
"The Swan Children" (with Siku, in 2000 AD #1112-1114)
"Macha" (with Paul Staples, in 2000 AD #1115-1118)
"The Secret Commonwealth" (with David Bircham, in 2000 AD #1183-1199)
"Beyond" (with Greg Staples, in 2000 AD prog 2000, 1999)
"The Gong Beater" (with Clint Langley, in 2000 AD prog 1635-1638)
The Books of Invasions: Moloch and Golamh (with Clint Langley, 2006, ISBN 1904265820):
"The Books of Invasions I: Moloch" (in 2000 AD #1322-1326 and prog 2003)
"The Books of Invasions II: Golamh" (in 2000 AD #1350-1355)
The Books of Invasions: Scota and Tara (with Clint Langley, 2006, ISBN 1904265928):
"The Books of Invasions III: Scota" (in 2000 AD #1371-1376)
"The Books of Invasions IV: Tara" (in 2000 AD #1420-1425 and prog 2005)
The Books of Invasions: Odacon (with Clint Langley, July 2007, ISBN 1904265928):
"The Books of Invasions V: Odacon" (200AD #1436-1442)
"Carnival" (with Clint Langley, in 2000 AD #1469-1475 and prog 2006)

Quoting Mary and David
QuoteThe only time trave story that worked for me is the one in the 1985 annual in 1014, cant remember the name of it. Other that that when I see time Travel, Elfric, El Worlds, Guildig
Sounds like Time-Killer. One of my favorites, simple because it was weird and to my knowledge very original.

TordelBack

QuoteQuoting Mary and David
The only time trave story that worked for me is the one in the 1985 annual in 1014, cant remember the name of it. Other that that when I see time Travel, Elfric, El Worlds, Guildig
Sounds like Time-Killer. One of my favorites, simple because it was weird and to my knowledge very original.

Nah, I think David is talking about the full colour Bellardinelli-drawn story of the Battle of Clontarf, which is later retold in Time Killer and equally brilliantly drawn in B&W by Pugh.  Have you ever seen that one, TS?   I don't think it's ever been reprinted (although it really needs to be).    It's actually the first of the time-travel stories, although as I never tire of reminding people time-travel appears in the very first page of the very first Angie Kincaid-drawn story, so it's not like Mills just bolted it on as an afterthought.

Mike Gloady

That's right, TordelBack.  I'd forgotten about that.  The story's called "The Time Monster" and it appears to be a beautifully rendered dinosaur of the t-rex type (if not actually that species or genus). 

Used to know the word for that family of dinosaurage.  This is what happens to your brain if you age kids.  Don't do it.

TordelBack

QuoteUsed to know the word for that family of dinosaurage.  This is what happens to your brain if you age kids.  Don't do it.

Theropods?  Carnosaurs?  Tyrannosaurids?  I'm in the hugely happy position of being an old dinosaur buff with a three-year old who can't get enough dino-carnage.  My heart swelled with pride this morning when he looked at a Spinosaur for the first time (didn't have them when I were a lad) and announced:  "It has a sail on its back... but it only has two legs, so it's not a Dimetrodon".  Mesozoic cladistics from first principles!

Mike Gloady

Theropodae sounds familiar, not sure.  God it's been too long since I read anything that wasn't 1. a comic or 2. an archaeological report or text book.  I used to have a brain.  Now i just have a repository for arcane comic book trivia, details of punk/new wave and funk artists I like and artefact typologies.  As I said: "DON'T AGE KIDS!"

Or have kids.  My brother's girls are the only ones old enough to entertain such thoughts, but depressingly enough they seem too feminine to be interested in scaly monsters eating each other.  I'll have to buy the boys some dinosaur pop-up books to sow seeds of future dinosaur chats and drawing sessions.

vzzbux

Burble Burble wibble wibble rasp AAAAAGH. My old man's a mushroom frreeeeeeet.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting Tordelback.......

QuoteNah, I think David is talking about the full colour Bellardinelli-drawn story of the Battle of Clontarf, which is later retold in Time Killer and equally brilliantly drawn in B&W by Pugh. Have you ever seen that one, TS?

Yes, I did actaulley. I ordered that one through Ebay nearly two years ago. I hope to get the full set of of them sometime. I also ordered the 1989 annual. ---The Highlight of which Ukko's being interview by the magazine reveals that he was won by Slaine in a game of Wooden Wisdom-- with "Arrow of God"
I thought they might have been stories I hadn't read previously,  but I read the stories first here.....

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=reprint&page=usprofiles&choice=qslaine28
Reprinted August 1989.
Though I find it odd that "Arrow of  God" had been reprinted a month before that.
As they were origianlly printed in those annuals the other way round.
So I'm really not sure of the correct contineuity there.
In the "Quality Comic" reprints, they actaulley read  onwards from the end of "Slaine the King" after he had his royal coronation and that huge battle with the invading formorians.
This would have preceeded "The Triple Death" --The story introduicng "The Horned God"-- and  then "the Horned God " itself.
I guess these stories are loose tales.
Anyway, when I read " time Travel, Elfric, El Worlds, Guildig"  earlier.
" I thought of Time-Killer without taking much notice of the words you wrote 'Annual"
It's even more interesting to me now that "Time-Killer" was origianlly published in Prog 411 March 1985 also.....
.http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=411
....and if that runs like it's latest reprint in the Megazine roughtly six years ago. I think the David Pugh version of "Slaine at the Battle Of Clontarf" still would have beaten Massimo's version to the publishers.
Though they might have been drawn at the same time. I'm not sure if printing both versions is supposed to do anything other than fill up pages. A interesting way to complete the Annual and "Quality Comic" run of Slaine stories.
I gotta say that I actualley like David Pugh's version of Slaine and how he was warped in that  confrontation with Elfric I never really liked Masimo's version of the Slaine's warping there.Of course his work on Slaine's warp spasm at the Battle of Dunbark, much earleir was his best ever. I'd say that has verson of 'Slaine at the Battle of Clontarf" didn't make it into the orignal Slaine continueium for that reason.
Likewise, I didn't think much of David Pugh's Efric as he first appaered preparing for battle,, getting ready in his tent. He looked like some horrorshow transvestite. Though I guess he's or it's intended to be that way. I only just noticed now that he's alteast drawn wearing the same type chainmail shirt and hood he's seen in from Massimo's version when he starts squaring off with Slaine.
Reminds me of the image of  Fezik/Andre the Giant from "The Princess Bride" when he was wearing the holocaust cloak.
Quoting Tordelback.....
QuoteI don't think it's ever been reprinted (although it really needs to be).
Yes, As I mentioned above.
It was reprinted in Agust 1989 as part of Quality Comic rfun of Slaine four years afterward
The "Arrow of God" story appaered in the same of comic preceeding the Slaine story from the 1985 annual..

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=reprint&page=usprofiles&choice=qslaine27
2000AD Annual 1989

So I think it's odd how they ended up.
Quoting Tordelback......
QuoteIt's actually the first of the time-travel stories, although as I never tire of reminding people time-travel appears in the very first page of the very first Angie Kincaid-drawn story, so it's not like Mills just bolted it on as an afterthought.
I've always thought that you could place 'Slaine at the battle of Clontarf" anywhere in the Slaine continueity.It very well be some recurring event in Slaine's adventures. Perhaps he and Efric have been stuck there fighting all along.
.. That battle reminds me of this battle shown at the start of this film trailer here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYF5EhoIsA8&feature=related
Just stop watching at 00:17 seconds and take no notice of the stuff said about a truce thjat had been struck. I just though that first part there was very interesting concept..
It's implied.that this event is timeless and recuring, yet it happens 1000 yeas ago.Which would be five years prior to the battle of Clontarf.
Thats from a Russien fantacy trilogy by the way, not as good as I thought it would be, but they only started experimenting with works of fiction since fully liberating themselves several years ago.
I understand what you mean. It's was the first of the time-travel stories. Since just before he was made King. Aalthough refereence to the first Angie Kincaid/Saline story  confuses me. It's just  him fighting one of the Time-Monsters. Yeah, looks like a mutated tyransaurus rex. Although this might be speicies or variant of Raptor lizard  Might have been cooler if that was Satanus referanceing Nemsia andd Judge Dreddd, but it's life ends there thus starts the saga of Slaine.
I've being add that that Ukko recounts the same battle at the beginning of "Demon-Killer". very breifly, but masterfully drawn and coloured by Glenn Fabry.
.Slaine looks very warped here.Loping over piles of corspes to confront Elfric
How suitably surreal is that.
As I have the foriegn version in front of me and without translating every pasage, every bit of dialoge...
I think this just portents Slaine's eniment reunion with the same villain. Defeated numerous times before, but this time in one the Rome occupated towns.
http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/3108BNB5JCL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

ThryllSeekyr

I've just spent the last twenty minutes correcting spelling, deleting images that I mistakenly duplcated, changing a the URl to a IMG command while spacing and indenting where I thought it appropiate, swapping around words, changing and deleting entire passages I had pre-written in NotePad before getting the upon saving ....

ERROR, YOU MAY NOT EDIT THIS MESSAGE ANYMORE

Well, words to that effect.

Note-Pad is really kind to you if you don't how to use the commands that allow you to paragraph proaperly.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

QuoteIt's all about a bully who likes chopping people up.

House?

The Legendary Shark

Now, there's an idea for a crossover...

"Maybe it's lupus..."

"It's never lupus!" *chop*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]