Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

Proudhuff

I'd forgotten that Mars Attack and Matt Smith's were IDW, they were great. the rest uninspiring is a good word.
DDT did a job on me

karlos

I think I got suckered in because of those lovely covers on Mega City Zero and Blessed Earth.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: karlos on 19 December, 2019, 08:32:50 AMI think I got suckered in because of those lovely covers on Mega City Zero and Blessed Earth.
I bought them all as part of a Humble Bundle, which I've just realised included the Funko Universe Dredd. Never even read that. I kind of feel duty bound to read what I've paid for (see also: The Boys), but these were a trudge. I did make it all the way to the end of the standard Judge Dredd series, which really wasn't worth the effort. Blessed Earth broke me though. It's less Dredd than even DC's terrible efforts. I get the desire to do something different, but this could have been any grumpy old cop with a beard for the most part, and it never really felt like Dredd. (This of course is part of the problem with a lot of US-written Dredd.)

Fortunately, the Humble Bundle had pretty much everything else from IDW at the time, along with a few Rebellion bits and bobs I didn't have in digital. But I'd say you'd have to be a completist or a masochist to want to actually pay anything near normal prices for this stuff, with the exception of the Smith books/MA/Deviations.

broodblik

I agree with Indigo's take on the IDW Dredd stories
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

I agree. Matt Smith's Year zone was good, and there was a good Anderson story at the back of issue 2 of the regular Judge Dredd series, but otherwise all the IDW stuff seems to be mediocre or appalling.

They must be doing something right, because they're still going after seven years. But whatever it is that seems, inexplicably, to appeal to American audiences doesn't work for me.

Colin YNWA

The Monarch

you were stronger than me IP I never even got through the very first idw dredd story

karlos

By gum, chaps, you've well and truly warned me off! 

(And saved me a fair few quid - so many thanks for that!)

rogue69

Along with the new IDW Dredd series they releasing a 100 page special in February
https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/judge-dredd-100-page-giant/

Max Headroom

Is this IDW 100 page special all new material?

rogue69

not sure, looks like it might be this is the previews write up
DEC190721
(W) Various (A) Various (CA) Alan Quah
Take a trip through the rough streets of Mega-City One with the one-and-only Judge Dredd! Featuring amazing stories from an all-star cast of writers and artists that stretch from the filthy underbelly of Mega-City One to beyond its walls, there's never been a better place to see what you've been missing.
In Shops: Feb 05, 2020

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Max Headroom on 24 December, 2019, 09:22:35 PM
Is this IDW 100 page special all new material?

Not new material - from Newsarama:

FC • 100 pages • $5.99
Bullet points:
Featuring the first Judge Dredd work from Eisner-nominated writer Mark Russell (Second Coming, The Flintstones) and Eisner Award-winning writer Paul Jenkins (Inhumans, Wolverine: Origin)!
Includes the first issues of IDW Judge Dredd miniseries Toxic, Under Siege, Blessed Earth, and Mega-City Zero!
Includes a preview of the upcoming miniseries—a perfect jumping-on point for new fans!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

MumboJimbo

Quotewe go back to the beginnings of the Judge system in new series "Dreadnoughts."

This new story in the March meg sounds interesting