Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Later this year Jake Lynch will take art duties over from Henry Flint on Proteus Vex. Here is some earlier work from the upcoming second season:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

A sneak peak at Johnny Alpha for the xmas prog by Laurence Campbell/Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

In the web store you can now pre-order the xmas prog:

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/PRG2212D

The line-up is as follows:

Judge Dredd: Three Kings by Ken Niemand & PJ Holden
Strontium Dog: Once Upon a Time in Der Vest by Rob Williams & Laurence Campbell
Proteus Vex: The Shadow Chancellor (part 1) by Mike Carroll & Jake Lynch
Durham Red: Served Cold (part 1) by Alec Worley & Ben Willsher
Hershey: The Brutal (part 1) by Rob Williams & Simon Fraser
Sláine: The Web of Weird (part 1) by Pat Mills & Leonardo Manco
Survival Geeks: A Quiet Night in by Gordon Rennie, Emma Beeby & Neil Googe
Visions of Deadworld: A Girl's Gotta Eat by Kek-W & Dave Kendall
Time Twisters: Time Hygiene by T.C. Eglington & Warren Pleece

Thus these thrills will carry-over into 2021 (for me this looks like  a strong line-up):

Proteus Vex: The Shadow Chancellor (part 1) by Mike Carroll & Jake Lynch
Durham Red: Served Cold (part 1) by Alec Worley & Ben Willsher
Hershey: The Brutal (part 1) by Rob Williams & Simon Fraser
Sláine: The Web of Weird (part 1) by Pat Mills & Leonardo Manco

Rately

Really, really looking forward to finally seeing Slaine. The stuff that has been posted has been absolutely fantastic.

Richard

That Strontium Dog picture looks phenomenal!

Bolt-01

Wooah, oh oh ooh, sweet child of mine! -- thought Survival Geeks was finished with?

broodblik

Upcoming John Steel Thriller Picture Library Special cover:

broodblik

I read this tweet from Pat Mills related to the upcoming Slaine: "The current saga by Leo Manco  (starts Xmas) is likely to be the last. I won't spill the beans, but I'm very happy with the way it ends"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 19 November, 2020, 07:52:58 AM
I read this tweet from Pat Mills related to the upcoming Slaine: "The current saga by Leo Manco  (starts Xmas) is likely to be the last. I won't spill the beans, but I'm very happy with the way it ends"

Wow that's a big statement - though from what we've read and heard from Uncle Pat of late hardly surprising. Hope the character get a send off he deserves. Very interested to see where they take it.

Magnetica

I listened to the ECBT2000AD pod cast with Uncle Pat. He didn't seem disgruntled with Rebellion in the way some parts of the Internet would have you believe. It also sounded like he was open to doing more work for 2000AD but was just busy with Spacewarp,

broodblik

I also reading trough his tweets got the same message that he is not unhappy with Rebellion. Rebellion respected his creations.

I always prefer it when the creators can finish a series on their terms.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 November, 2020, 08:16:49 AM
I listened to the ECBT2000AD pod cast with Uncle Pat. He didn't seem disgruntled with Rebellion in the way some parts of the Internet would have you believe. It also sounded like he was open to doing more work for 2000AD but was just busy with Spacewarp,

Yeah there are parts of fandom that seem to want to really stick it to Rebellion and use Uncle Pat as a way of doing that. There are some folks (see folks, not whole groups) who seem to actively seek ways of taking any news and portraying it as Rebellion being wicked overlords, or the comic failing and being on its knees. Even recent reports - from the owners - that sales were up overall (when digital was factored in) were dismissed, or spun in such a way so as to fit their desired narrative. Some folks defend creators rights vehemently with one hand then, while calling those creators they don't like c**ts with the other (literally alas) and dismissing their work as trash and worse.

It can come across as a bit sad at times to me. I genuinely read some of the stuff as folks just being a bit bitter and jealous that the Kingsley's have made such a success of themselves and that Jason owns a horsey and can make films these days. They chuffin' saved 2000ad (from all reports) for christ sake - let them enjoy their success, while we can be grateful that we still have a great comic(s) to enjoy - or to slag off as some folks seem to prefer.

That's not to say we should slavishly celebrate everything that folks at Rebellion do (and I don't think many, if any folks do). Nor should we avoid calling things out we don't like (I think almost everyone does). Just try to avoid sustaining this forced narrative of Rebellion bad and all those that speak out against them all rebellious, cool and righteous. 

And just in case Wullie is still hovering around (Hi Wullie if you are) - this genuninely isn't aimed at any one group, or all individuals in any group. There are just bits of fandom all over, in loads of groups, that have this view from what I see. There are loads of lovely folks in all groups from what I see as well, that do lots of positive things. Just wish folks who have this forced negative narrative would take a step back and reflect on things a little more openly for a second...

Man that must have been building up and turned into quite the rant - SORRY!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 November, 2020, 08:00:20 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 19 November, 2020, 07:52:58 AM

Wow that's a big statement - though from what we've read and heard from Uncle Pat of late hardly surprising. Hope the character get a send off he deserves. Very interested to see where they take it.

Feckin hell.

No matter what dreck 2021 brings with Regened Progs I will have to stand by the weekly to see Slaine out.
From what we've seen so far the artwork at least will be nothing short of spectacular.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 November, 2020, 08:38:29 AMThere are some folks (see folks, not whole groups) who seem to actively seek ways of taking any news and portraying it as Rebellion being wicked overlords, or the comic failing and being on its knees.
Some people just want to see the comic fail. It's bizarre. And some aren't keen on facts. I got temp-banned from a popular 2000 AD group on FB a while back for countering someone's rant with some basic facts. This apparently broke some unwritten rule. Bizarre. The negativity astounds me.

I can never quite get a handle on Mills. Is he pro- or anti- consistent creators? (Sláine would have died on the vine had it been limited in that way, and we'd never have had Horned God, for one thing.) One of his recent tweets also seemed quite angry about some of his 2000 AD strips being overlooked for trades, but it's not like a ton of his work hasn't been collected. (I get that it must be frustrating when series stall, but that happens and you can't keep throwing money at something just in case it picks up—look at collected Sin/Dex. Similarly, it must be annoying that he gets a lot of requests for Finn he can't do anything about, but there's clearly a reason Rebellion hasn't collected that series.)

Quotefolks just being a bit bitter and jealous that the Kingsley's have made such a success of themselves and that Jason owns a horsey and can make films these days. They chuffin' saved 2000ad (from all reports) for christ sake
They now own most of UK comics history. Titan reportedly wanted a ton of the stuff Rebellion got. Imagine that. Imagine Titan owning all this content. I can't imagine we'd have got what we're now enjoying: loads of lovingly restored reprint; extra bits and bobs added to the Meg floppy; plenty of new commissions—which is something, bafflingly, I've seen people getting really angry about, because Rebellion has the audacity to commission new work based on old properties and try to find a new audience for these classic IPs! The bastards! (My kid liked the Cor/Buster stuff a lot. I can't imagine she'd give the slightest shit about 1960s/1970s reprint—and that's if I figured it was appropriate in the first place. I'm not keen on her having the Sweeny Toddler HC, despite her being a big fan of the modern version.)

Sometimes, I swear people would be happier if Rebellion thought FUCK IT ALL and just turned into a reprint org, endlessly churning out new collections of 2000 AD strips from the early 1980s.

broodblik

Rebellion has done  a sterling job. In the current climate still to receive the weekly prog and monthly meg is just awesome. They have not only kept the prog alive they added so many publications that I never had access to their current catalog it is outstanding.