Main Menu

Après Bristol 2008

Started by Wils, 11 May, 2008, 09:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

Well I made it home, albeit with a knackered back and an empty wallet, thanks mainly to the Ramada bar. A fantastic weekend and I evena managed not to start any fight. Great to see old faces again and meet new ones (props to Dankell and his incredibly smiley gf).

Far too many moments to list all at once, although the 2000ad panel was a definite highlight. Another brief one this morning involved a very strange, very short man stopping me to ask where I got my Doomlord t-shirt from, then just staring at me. I hope to god it wasn't a messageboarder. :s

Only really low point was the Eagle Awards. Panini Spider-Man reprints 'Best British Comic'? Fuck off.

paulvonscott

Yes, probably the best time I've had at Bristol for numerous reasons.  Great to meet everyone - anyone I didn't meet, next time be sure to say hello.

I arrived late to the Eagles so missed some of the announcements, but there were two well deserved wins for 2000AD droids.  Lots of people (in and outside of 2000AD) I had hoped would win, but didn't. It's dissapointing, and rarely seems fair, but that's awards for you.

Large48

Was only there on Sat and missed Boo and Steve Roberts, where they there?
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

COMMANDO FORCES

Boo was there on Saturday as I accosted him as he tried to enter the hall. I then had a chat later with him as he drew a Dredd for me.

Matt Timson

Despite the crushing blow of Thinky's crap car blowing up, which meant that I had to (gasp!) drive myself, like some common convention goer- I had a brilliant time (although, predictably, I managed to get lost on the way there).

Finding myself in the luxurious position of having two beds and no family, I drank a lot less, went to bed much earlier, made full use of all the facilities (yes, I even managed the gym and pool- shocking behaviour) and only walked around the sweaty convention hall once the entire weekend.

Comedy highlights included:

John Reppion's new moustache, which made him look like Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand.  I was quite concerned at first, when this bearded monstrosity leapt out at me, insisting that he knew me- and I briefly considered hitting him with the sports bag full of beer that I was smuggling in from the car, before realising who he was.

Paul Scott, more pissed than I've ever seen him- it was just comedy gold!  Of course, I'm working on the theory that I was just less pissed than usual, so noticed it more- but the usually morose PVS was nowhere to be seen.  He was the life and soul of the party and had me in stitches!  He even brought biscuits.

Had a really good time all round to be honest- with everyone being on top form.  I was going to make this my last Bristol- but I had such a great time, I reckon I'll give it another go next year.

:D
Pffft...

Dan Kelly

Hey guys!

Got back last night, but decided to spend the evening sorting the flat out.  Had a great weekend, as did Alina surprisingly.  For some strange reason she thinks you lot are all "really nice" ;-)

Highlight had to be the 2000ad panel.  Not for the information imparted, but for The Mighty One's masterful charing of said panel.

Only got a few sketches, will try and get them up later in the week.

Malchidiel

Had a brilliant weekend. :)

Great to catch-up with old faces, and meet new ones. Hopefully we'll get to meet up again at Leeds.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say bye to Bou, but we had to leg it for the train.

Going to get myself a nice cuppy of coffee (the coffee in the hotel was fucking foul), put my aching feet up, and watch some Absolutely's. Yayy!

Joolz

radiator

Any interesting announcements regarding new strips, GNs etc?

davidbishop

Aside from Spider Panini [with pesto and mozzarella, mayhap] winning Best British Colour Comic, can anyone recall what else won Eagles?

paulvonscott

Matt Smith - Best Editor
D'israeli - Best Inker (I think)

The rest, no idea at all.

Wils

Erm... [scratches head]

Alan Davis - Best Writer/Artist

Mike Mignola - Roll of Honour

Marvel - Best Publisher(?)

Marvel.com - Best comics-related website

Thor - Best New Comic(?)

Matt Timson

I see the beer's worn off, Paul...

Pffft...

satchmo

I was a bit worse for wear by that point, I can't remember who won what :)
I don't think Bob Byrne won but after reading Mr Amperduke this morning he fucking well deserved to. It's utterly brilliant.

I had a great time, fantastic to see everyone but I'm suffering a bit today :)

Many highlights, I'm sure I'll think of more later too.

Just hearing about the 2000AD panel was great, I would give one of my fingers to go back in time and see it!

Walking past Walt and Louise Simonson and trying not to look like a freak :)

The kid dressed as The Riddler, he looked awesome.

Duke Etrange's World of Weird. The comic that's so cool it has it's own soundtrack, you dig?

Going to see Iron Man, I bloody loved it. But not as much as I loved Iron Man- Noble Defender of Fascism.

Being constantly surprised at the people who are reading my webcomic.

And just hanging out with friends and laughing a lot.

Great Bristols!

House of Usher

I enjoyed Bristol again this year. Quite apart from the comics, the best bits are always the meeting people, hanging out and having a laugh bits.

The 2000ad panel was great fun. No major revelations, but a top turn by the man in the Tharg mask! I wouldn't have sacrificed any body parts to see it though!

I was very pleased to meet Wils and Malchi for the first time, as well as meeting Dankell and Alina together. I don't remember seeing Johnnyeyebrows for longer than two whole minutes before this visit to Bristol either, so that was a bonus as far as I was concerned.

Also caught up with Bolt-01, Bou, Richard, Paul Scott, Ed Berridge, Ben Clarke, and Julien Modde and non-2000ad types Richard Nairn, Robert Martin, Oliver Lambden, Bevis Musson and Dan Lester. And only just got an introduction to Garramin as I was leaving.

I rather missed seeing WoD and especially Thinky, who's now going to emigrate without us ever getting to have that pint together!

I picked up various small press comics and only one pro comic: Scarlet Traces.

I'll be reflecting upon my purchases over the next few weeks. Yesterday evening I was in the park reading James Kochalka's 'Super Fuckers'. A rather jolly and garishly coloured comic about a bunch of superheroes who look like Fisher Price people come to life and seem to do nothing else but laze around in their superhero club house being mean to one another in the most childish manner. I like it!
STRIKE !!!

Wils

"AND THE EAGLE AWARD FOR WORST HAIR IN COMICS GOES TO..."