Main Menu

Best British Film of All Time...

Started by Wils, 30 June, 2008, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satchmo

I'd probably go for Dead of Night, or A Canterbury Tale. Apart from Shane Meadows I avoid almost all recent British films, I find it's more efficient to assume I'll hate them!

Richmond Clements

LARF

Rita Sue and Bob Too

East is East

Educating Rita

JamesC

God knows what the best one is, ther are so many.
No love for 'The Dambusters' or 'Brighton Rock'?

Oh, and 'Village of the Damned' and 'Quatermass 2'.

Peter Wolf

" Four weddings and a Funeral"  ?

Thats the stupidest thing i have heard all year.

Ninkimpoop  ?

Where did the poll come from ?

The Daily Mail ?

This is a joke right ?

I have been in this country for long enough and i have never heard that word used ever.

I get bored with these lists but i would say Zulu or The Wicker Man or loads of others that are far more worthy than a made for the American Market film like 4 Weddings.  [PPffffftt]

most popular yes but not the best .Far from it.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "peterwolf"Ninkimpoop  ?

This is a joke right ?

I have been in this country for long enough and i have never heard that word used ever.

Don't try so hard to be outraged, Pete. The poll was for favourite word, not most frequently used, and I have to admit it's a bally good one.

I mean, my favourite word is 'skullduggery', but I can't say as I use it all that much in conversation...
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

No worries I wasnt outraged by it at all.

More surprised than anything.

No prizes for guessing what my favourite words are !

Cockroaches [as a term of abuse] is a fave at the moment but apart that i can never answer this question and narrow it down to a single word.Theres just too many.

Misanthrope

Sorry, you are all wrong.

The best British film is Withnail and I.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

the styrofoam kid

Quote from: "Ratty"Sorry, you are all wrong.

The best British film is Withnail and I.

This was what I thought at first, then I remembered the genius that is - BRAZIL!!

C'mon - you've gotta go with gilliam

Peter Wolf

Does anyone know where this list came from because if you look at the BFI top 100 its rather different.

4 weddings is at N0:23.

Still 23 places too high.

Mine is O Lucky Man

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: "peterwolf"4 weddings is at N0:23.

Still 23 places too high.

46? Not bad.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Adrian Bamforth

Quote from: "the styrofoam kid"This was what I thought at first, then I remembered the genius that is - BRAZIL!!

C'mon - you've gotta go with gilliam

He's the guy with the American accent, right?

[Carl]

Dead Man's Shoes should be up there as one of the best Brit Films surely? And, Blackball!

dweezil2

Get Carter has got to be up there somewhere. Also most of Mike Leigh's output should be considered. More recently, This Is England has to be a contender. Also A Clockwork Orange, if that constitutes being British, when its director is American.
Put me down for The Wicker Man also. Oh and Monty Python's Life Of Brian,  but Four Wedding's And A Funeral can fuck right off!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Legendary Shark

It's Zulu for me, I'm afraid. (Yes, I am actually that shallow.) All that "Front rank! Fire!" business doesn't half get the blood pumping and it still makes the hairs stand up all along the back of my nethers.  I know it's not a very "pc" movie, these days, but if you want pc then watch Four Funting Weddings and a Funting Funeral.

There's a really old black and white movie I once saw ages ago about some soldiers in a bunker during WWI. I remember that it was a fantastic film, but I can't remember what it was called or who was in it. One thing I do remember is that one of the characters was called Uncle. Wish I could find out what it was.  :roll:

One movie I do think is destined for greatness is "In Bruges," which I greatly enjoyed. I'm not entirely sure if it's a completely British film, but it went straight into my Top Ten for the year. Does anyone else agree or was I just drunk when I watched it? Again?

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes: #1: Zulu (hands down).  #2: The Life of Brian (of course).  #3: Alien (on a technicality).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]