Main Menu

Best British Film of All Time...

Started by Wils, 30 June, 2008, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

...is apparently Four Weddings and a Funeral. [spits] The people who voted probably watch Loose Women religiously every day.

I refuse to acknowledge a 'Best British Film' that doesn't have Patrick Magee in.

Scottiepunk

Apparently Britain's favourite word is:

Ninkimpoop

Probably the same people voting!!

Buddy

Best British Film.

A Matter Of Life And Death.

Richmond Clements

COMMANDO FORCES

ZULU is and always will be the best British film ever, and I won't have a word said about it!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: "COMMANDO FORCES"ZULU is and always will be the best British film ever, and I won't have a word said about it!

Best film ever
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Buttonman

You are all big men but you're outta shape, for me it's a full time job. Eyes like piss holes in the snow the lot of you.

Yes, my vote goes to 'Love, actually'.

nameuser

It must be a Carry On film. So many to choose from.
    :lol:

TordelBack

Never mind (the awesome) Get Carter, there must be dozens of British films that are empirically and demonstrably 'better' than Four Weddings (which is pretty funny and sweet itself, to be fair), regardless of taste, even allowing for a bias towards comedy and/or romance and against war/highbrow/unpleasant.  Life of Brian,  Remains of the Day, the Ladykillers, Local Hero... blimey, it goes on.  I can't believe something as inconsequential as Four Weddings can top the list.

Buttonman

I like Remains of the Day too although I always get a bit distracted when so much dialogue was lifted directly from the book. Same with 'The Music of Chance'. Bet bit in ROTD was Grouty falling over with a tray. Action & stunts.

Mangamax

A Matter Of Life And Death is right up there, along with Carry On Cleo, Ice Cold In Alex, Holy Grail, Alaister Sims' Christmas Carol and The Long Good Friday...
But they're all pipped at the post by the magnificence that is...
Gregory's Girl.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Adrian Bamforth

For me it's probably Brief Encounter. So unique to have a film about a momentous event in someone's life yet hardly anything actually happens.

4 Weddings and a Funeral - what can I say about the complete lack of chemistry between the main couple...it's as if we are supposed to want them to get together just because they are in the same film. Perhaps the point is a that it's just like real life i.e. the people are not facinatingly kooky and funny, and in denial about fancying each other aka Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks. Also, Americans do like British films, as long as it's the stereotype Britain they expect to see. If I were Hugh Grant's character I would have hitched up with that Charlotte Coleman character.

TordelBack

QuoteIf I were Hugh Grant's character I would have hitched up with that Charlotte Coleman character.

Ditto, very cute.  The two leads in Four Weddings are both hopelessly unappealing, but the supporting cast and their subplots are good fun.  It's not an unpleasant film, it's just, well.... utterly meh.  It doesn't even have the unexpected boobage quota of its Fierce-Creatures-style sequel, Love Actually.

Banners

For me it would be Kes - a beautiful and harsh mix of nature, football and social realism (it also has comics in it). Actually, any Ken Loach film would probably stand a chance of being in a top 10 of British films...

M@

Buttonman

'Raining Stones' has to be my favourite Loach. Cracking Ricky Tomlinson and it's so down and gritty that you can smell the piss and chips.

Did anyone see Ken Loach's Superman as shown on Alexei Sayle's show? Gritty Northerner Supes down pit and being told by dole that heat vision isn't a marketable talent.