Main Menu

Another Mac problem.

Started by Wils, 20 August, 2008, 10:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

Booted up my work Mac this morning and something bizarre seems to have happened. Desktop, Mail & Dock have all been reset to default. I've also lost everthing in the address book and the entire contents of the Documents folder. I've got the mail sorted out, but really need to get the documents folder back if possible (it's got my job database in it). Any ideas, seasoned Mac users? I've no idea at all why this has happened.

And yes, I *am* a nobend for not making backups.

Cheers, chaps.

Wils

Scratch that. I (very stupidly) renamed the Home folder which fucked things up. All sorted now.

What a twat. :)

LARF

Will's you're a no bend for not making a back-up.

Have you checked you are logged into your account?

Have you checked that the address book files are still there, but address book is not accessing them?

Have you checked that you've not got two copies of address book?

Techtool pro may be able to recover them for you: http://www.micromat.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=103

All I can think of for now - will ask the rest of the mac numpts here see what they think

LARF

Have you checked that you've not renamed the home folder... :-0

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Wils"What a twat. :)
Not as much as you would be if you DON'T GO OUT AND GET ANOTHER HARD DRIVE RIGHT NOW and start backing up with Time Machine or SuperDuper!

Wils

Thanks for your input, though, Larf. It's been a big enough scare that I'm going to get my arse into gear and make backups right now. I actually felt sick when I thought I'd lost my database. :s

Not sure if I want to fork out my own money for something for work, IP! I'll have a word with the boss about getting an external drive for backing up.

IndigoPrime

Good grief—I assumed you were self-employed. The fact your employer is not routinely backing up machines is just insane. USB h/d + SuperDuper = about 50 quid, maybe 80 if you're pushing the boat out for a larger h/d. Also, with SD, you can boot from the external drive in the event of hd failure. Total downtime: the time it takes you to reboot your Mac.

Banners

I know that sick-in-the gut feeling of losing everything and sympathise.

Since it happened to me I now use an external HDD for weekly disk images and have Carbonite running in the background which has served me well when I've lost the odd file. I would, however, never trust CDs or DVDs, even from big brands.

M@