Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 February, 2016, 11:24:25 PM
Reanimator

Warped. Twisted. Rather sick... but rather entertaining.
[spoiler]
Amused by the decapitated head telling his body where to go. I.e., how can the head speak if his lungs are in his body, and how can his body hear him?
[/spoiler]

There was some [spoiler]nude lady abusive stuff at the end [/spoiler] where I think they went too far. I guess it could be argued it was so over the top it was in the realm of farce, but that was a kind of nastiness the film could have done without.

I vaguely remember Jeffry Combs from this film and was watching The Frighteners yesterday on and off. Great film by the way. I was like the ending when Crom-Cruach swallows the naughty the pair. Customarily, I was also sorting through all my books instead of watching the entire film. Yet, I have seen it enough times to make up for that and when it first screen at our cinemas as well.

Keef Monkey

Went to see The Revenant and thought it was amazing. It looks absolutely incredible, and the sound design and interplay between the music and images, just a fantastically absorbing watch.

Then it was my film pick for Valentines day so wanted a bit of a light romcom, so put on Man Up. I'd seen it a couple of times but Bea hadn't so was nice to see she got a bit weepy at the same places. Sounds silly, but something about that film really touches me and I've had a bit of a cry each time. First time I watched it was on the plane back from honeymoon and I was a blubbering mess. Takes a bit of time to warm up and has some very cheesy moments, but the script is sharp, Simon Pegg and Lake Bell are great in it and it's sentimental enough to tug the heartstrings and warm the cockles but while still portraying relationships in a way that lines up with our own life experiences a bit more than your average hollywood love story. Love it.

We watched Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi over the last couple of nights too which was fun. Empire has aged brilliantly (and is still probably the best of the bunch), RoTJ has aged...not so well. Looks oddly cheap in comparison to the others, and the script and acting is more Phantom Menace than Empire. Still love it, and unsure how much of that is childhood attachment (because it really is very rough) and the fact that some of the sequences are so cool (the speeder bikes and the Tatooine stuff is still great). I know people tear into the prequels, but I reckon I'd place episodes 2&3 above RoTJ on my scale of orsum. Certainly 3.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 February, 2016, 11:45:05 AMRoTJ has aged...not so well. ... I know people tear into the prequels, but I reckon I'd place episodes 2&3 above RoTJ on my scale of orsum. Certainly 3.
I rewatched them all over Christmas and had completely the opposite reaction.

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 January, 2016, 03:15:46 PM
Think this viewing might have convinced me that RotJ is the second best Star Wars film. I've always thought the climactic showdown in the throne room was amazing. The darkness and sudden flashes of light jumping off the screen and the intimacy of the personal drama juxtaposed with the awesome space battle raging outside the window. Our introduction to badass Luke has grown on me over the years and this time I even liked the Ewoks, so fuck it. Force ghost Christensen remains an abomination.

In conclusion: SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AotC
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

The Long Good Friday last night and it remains, IMHO, one of if not THE finest example of home grown British cinema. I have practicaly nothing negative to say about it what so ever, Hoskins and Miran are superb, it's often a veritable who's who of British acting, the soundtrack has aged incredibly well and is menacing and catchy in equal measures, it boasts stunning cinematography and set pieces. And that final, silent minute os Harold's life is probably Hoskin's crowining achievemant in his career. Just a perfect movie, no doub't about it.

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 February, 2016, 01:02:09 PM
And that final, silent minute os Harold's life is probably Hoskin's crowining achievemant in his career.

I love the way that, despite the lack of dialogue, you know exactly what's going on in Harold's head throughout the journey - the desperation, the defiance, the fear, the acknowledgement of defeat, the resignation. That's what I call acting. And this in a film that earlier gives him some of the choicest, most quotable lines in cinema history. Definitely one the finest British movies of all time, and, as you say, pretty much perfect - there's nothing you could change to improve it.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 February, 2016, 12:29:03 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 February, 2016, 11:45:05 AMRoTJ has aged...not so well. ... I know people tear into the prequels, but I reckon I'd place episodes 2&3 above RoTJ on my scale of orsum. Certainly 3.
I rewatched them all over Christmas and had completely the opposite reaction.

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 January, 2016, 03:15:46 PM
Think this viewing might have convinced me that RotJ is the second best Star Wars film. I've always thought the climactic showdown in the throne room was amazing. The darkness and sudden flashes of light jumping off the screen and the intimacy of the personal drama juxtaposed with the awesome space battle raging outside the window. Our introduction to badass Luke has grown on me over the years and this time I even liked the Ewoks, so fuck it. Force ghost Christensen remains an abomination.

In conclusion: SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AotC

Fair enough! I think part of the problem is that I like Empire so much that rolling straight into Jedi it immediately feels a bit...lesser (to me at least). It's still a ton of fun and I do love it.

It turns out I'd also never seen the special edition of RoTJ. During the musical number Bea shook her head and said 'ill-advised' and I had to agree. That probably counts for most of Lucas' post-release tweaks mind you, of which Empire seems to have suffered the least.

I will say that I have never, and will never, hate the Ewoks. They're cute and fun, never had a problem with them.

Ghost MacRoth

Maggie

Possibly the least zombies ever in a zombie film.  Also one of the worst zombie films (and I've seen Warm Bodies) ever.  Not a terribly made film, production values are grand, and I actually liked the low key shooting style.....but the low key plot, and even lower key Arnie......zzzzzzz.  Budget of $8.5, so I expect the big fella took a pay cut to be in this (for the brief scenes he is) for some reason.  If you like brooding teenage angst combined with well....not a lot else.....this will be great for ya.  I personally like some zombies in my zombie films, and Arnie to shoot at least 10 people in any film he's in.  Or interview.  Or live appearance.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

I, Cosh

Accidentally got caught up in the Jennifer Jason Leigh revival that everyone's talking about.

Speaking as an unpleasant middle-aged man, I'm not convinced the world needs any more stories by unpleasant middle aged men about unpleasant middle-aged men attempting to assuage their own self-pity by trying to persuade vulnerable women to sleep with them. If we're going to have them anyway, Anomalisa at least manages to have a couple of interesting ways of depicting its characters' alienation and despair. That wasn't really enough to offset the overall tone for me but it was brightened up by an unexpectedly touching puppet sex scene.

I feel fairly well disposed towards The Hateful Eight so I'd call it langourous rather than boring, although the friend I was with disagreed. Plenty of the usual Tarantino hallmarks but not enough of them really hitting the mark to justify the bloated running time. On balance, I enjoyed it - with the shit-talking build-up of the first half being the better part - but I can't imagine ever watching it again and would say it's easily his weakest film since Jackie Brown.

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 February, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
Is [Kill Bill] Volume 1 generally agreed to be the better?
It is by me but I'm also aware that by "better" I actually mean "more fighty." I would very much like to have seen the originally proposed single film as I think some cutting could've made for a better mix of the dramatic and nonsensical fighting elements.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Jackie Brown is one of my favourite Tarantino films!

Out of the Dark

A crazy Chinese comedy ghost story.* Rather funny in places, and very very silly.

* I say 'ghost story' rather than horror, not just because it involved ghosts, but because it's not particularly scary. It is entertaining though, at least it was for me. I can imagine a lot of people hating it though.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 February, 2016, 02:31:01 AM
Maybe I owe it a second chance. It's the only I'd say I don't like at all but I haven't seen it since its original cinema release.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 February, 2016, 09:22:31 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 18 February, 2016, 02:31:01 AM
Maybe I owe it a second chance. It's the only I'd say I don't like at all but I haven't seen it since its original cinema release.

Been meaning to revisit it too. Been listening to the Kermode and Mayo podcasts and Mark Kermode often cites Jackie Brown as by far the best Tarantino movie, which makes me think I need to give it another go as it's the only film of his I only watched once.

Satanist

I will never watch either Kill Bills ever again. Same with Inglorious Bastards. Deathproof is pish as well.

I like Jackie Brown and loved Hateful Eight.

Pulp Fiction shits all over them though. From a great height.

Saying any of the prequels are anywhere close to the original trilogy is so wrong though that it makes teeth hurt.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Colin YNWA

Uh should we derail this thread by doing a Star Wars style ranking system for Tarantino films? I'll start (though with the miserable confession of not having seen Django or Hateful 8 yet, which given my love of Westerns and Tarantino is very odd!)... except its very very tricky so but I'll try

IB > JB > RD > KB1 > KB2 > PF > DP

Note minimal use of arrows as its all very close, I really like Death Proof. Ask me tomorrow and I reckon this will be completely different.

Satanist

I'll go one better and do a star wars style ranking of Tarantino films INCLUDING star wars films...

ESB>PF>SW>ROTJ>RD>JB>HE>DU>TFA>>>>KB1>>>IB>KB2>ROTS>DP>TPM>>>AOTC

:)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Satanist on 18 February, 2016, 03:17:21 PM
I'll go one better and do a star wars style ranking of Tarantino films INCLUDING star wars films...

ESB>PF>SW>ROTJ>RD>JB>HE>DU>TFA>>>>KB1>>>IB>KB2>ROTS>DP>TPM>>>AOTC

:)

Oh that's good, that's really good...